Animal Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Animal Testing

Holistic medicine can't cure a damaged heart or pancreas etc.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Gahhhh ok guys, this word was used earlier and I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be nitpicky, but now you're all doing it!

"Holistic" treatment doesn't mean what you think it does.

Holistic treatment is an integrative and comprehensive treatment that incorporates a variety of different methods. In many cases, it combines modern, western medicine with alternative therapies. For example, if you take prescribed medication, do yoga, and take herbal supplements, that's holistic. The idea is the whole person is considered in the treatment, not just the individual problem. Different factors like diet, exercise, herbal therapies, supplements, homeopathy, massage therapy, and yes, traditional medicine, can be part of the treatment.

It doesn't mean herbal medicine, homeopathy, or other natural or alternative treatments on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
        "Holistic" treatment doesn't mean what you think it does.
        Really? I was told that holistic medicine used only whole ingredients, as in no extracts or synthesized stuff. Something about things needing to be complete systems or something. Maybe I'm just stupid and was only half paying attention, so I made a wrong assumption about it.

The way you are describing it sounds like the Hippocratic school of medicine, which I was just reading about the other day.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Two sites on holistic medicine. The first appears to acknowledge only the alternative medical aspect while the second look at how the the holistic approach can be incorporated in modern medical practice.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/holistic+medicine

But actually the confusion between holistic and alternative is a common one as the first site shows, so no Denarius you're not stupid.
          And yes, taking a holistic approach to medicine and health is a return to the original mindset of medicine, but that doesn't mean that we should chuck out modern medicine either but that modern "traditional" medicine and "alternative" medicine should get together and figure out how best to keep us healthy to start with and how to cure us when we do get sick.
          Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Yeah, there really is a problem with people (Even doctors!) forgetting that being healthy is so much more than just not being sick.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
              I see it the other way. We've had nuclear capabilities for nearly seventy years, and it's only been used as a weapon twice. We understand how dangerous they are.

Plus, we are capable of some really nasty things that we just don't do. Right now we have the capability for orbital, chemical, and biological weapons that are as scary as nukes.

All of these are heavily regulated, because we understand very well the responsibilities these things entail.

Again, the simplest response I can give to you is "why stop now?" We've already made things that can destroy ourselves, anything else is just a matter of efficiency.
              I cant completely agree with this, hence all these weapons you named are being used. Just in a different way. They are being used to scare people, control people, suppress them and black mail them...So all in all they are being used for bad things.
              Last edited by Dumuzi; 12 Oct 2013, 04:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                Really? I was told that holistic medicine used only whole ingredients, as in no extracts or synthesized stuff. Something about things needing to be complete systems or something. Maybe I'm just stupid and was only half paying attention, so I made a wrong assumption about it.

The way you are describing it sounds like the Hippocratic school of medicine, which I was just reading about the other day.
                Yep. I do see a lot of what the freedictionary page about, but it seems to be more common that it describes comprehensive treatments. I'd avoid the freedictionary for accurate definitions, by the way...for example, it has a list of "holistic" therapies, but none of those are actually holistic. They only become holistic when one or more of them are combined. For example, herbal medicine alone doesn't tackle the mind, body, and spirit either, but it can when it's used in combination with meditation and massage.

Here is a bit more information

http://www.holisticmedicine.org/cont...3&contentid=43 (this was linked through from the American Holistic Medical Association)

Holistic medicine -can- be all-natural, but it is false to use it to describe purely natural treatments, because it can (and often does) use conventional medicine. The term is vague, so if you want to talk about natural medicine, it's best to say "natural medicine."

Comment

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
                  So all in all they are being used for bad things.
                  The problem here is not with science, it's with humanity. I still say that it's an achievement that we've gone so long without wiping ourselves out. Because, we may be evil but we're not stupid.

And again, we've been threatening people and doing evil things for as long as we've been around. Technology just makes us more efficient. I mean the internet has been used to do all the things you've mentioned a hell of a lot more than these weapons, just as the television before it, the radio before that, and the printed word before that. Each more efficient than the last.

We could have wiped ourselves out using the pointed stick... Would you consider humanity qualified to handle the responsibility of sharp wood? I mean we could do so much evil with it. Take Vlad the Impaler for example.

Also, I don't know what you are on about with this birthday stuff. Mine was like a month ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X