Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating

I am not sure if this is weight related or what. I get hot and bothered when its as cool as 21 degrees c/71.6 f so I am dreading summer coming up because average temp will be like 30 c/86 f and above.

Does anyone else have this issue or know of possible solutions to reduce overheating? Like I said I am not sure if it is just weight related or whether slim people experience this also.
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Re: Overheating

How bad is your reaction to heat?

I generally despise heat and get along fine with cold (provided I'm not cold and wet). I know several slimmer individuals who think I'm insane in my reaction to cold but have no real problem with heat. Also how humid is the area you're in. Dry heat and high heat plus high humidity aren't the same experience.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I am very prone to feeling blistering hot even when its cold outside. I'm fine with wearing a T-Shirt in the middle of the Canadian winter, I like the feeling of the snow hitting me because its the coolest I get to feel. I'd be interested to see if anybody has any answers.
      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
      sigpic
      In Days of yore,
      From Britain's shore
      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
      And planted firm Britannia's flag
      On Canada's fair domain.
      Here may it wave,
      Our boast, our pride
      And joined in love together,
      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Feeling over-heated might be weight related, but might also be related to thyroid function or high blood pressure (I take three different blood pressure meds, and I still have a hard time being in the comfort zone).
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
        Tribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

When I overheat I feel like I need a fan on me to cool me down a bit and my head gets all sweaty.

Apparently I have perfect blood pressure so that cant be the issue. My gf loves the heat and cannot believe how hot I get.
          There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

William Wordsworth

Comment

In my experience it definitely is much harder to tolerate the heat when you weigh more. I had an easier time with the hotter, humid QLD summers when I was underweight than I do with the dry, slightly-cooler SA summers now that I've put some weight on. I think there's also a genetic component, if you're from a northern European heritage then you just weren't biologically selected to handle the heat well.

If it's any comfort, I'm dreading the coming summer right along with you Today was ridiculous, 35 apparently, been cranking the air con since I woke up.

Comment

I'm the opposite. I freeze. It could be 35 degrees and I'll be fine and happy, but if it's below 20, I need long sleeves. It's only 15 in the day at the moment and I'm already freezing. We haven't even had our first frost yet. I'm dreading winter. My family is German and Irish so I have NO idea where this came from. By all accounts, I should burst into flames if I step into the sun. The only thing I can think of is that my family is from Southern Germany and there must be some Roman blood in there somewhere. My mom does look kind of Italian...

Want to trade? I'd love to spend the winter (er...summer there) in Australia!

Comment

On the BMI scale I'm in the healthy weight category, so I figure it can't/shouldn't be weight.

But my heritage is entirely northern european so I could consider that.

I'll definitely get a doc to look at it.
                White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                sigpic
                In Days of yore,
                From Britain's shore
                Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                And planted firm Britannia's flag
                On Canada's fair domain.
                Here may it wave,
                Our boast, our pride
                And joined in love together,
                The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I used to get terribly overheated but now I seem to be more sensitive to cold than to heat. The only thing that's really changed is that I've gotten older.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

You're in Australia aren't you? Do you have a product there called 'Ice Non'? Maybe it is called 'ice none' in English. You can't get it in England, maybe because it's rarely hot here, but it's a great product if you have it there. They even did a pillow that went in the freezer and stayed cool for quite a long time.

I hate any extreme of temperature. I hate the heat and the sun in general. I mean I really, really hate being out in the sun.. I also hate being too cold. I just can't win. In the uk, when I get too hot, one of the best things for me, is to run my wrists under cold running water, on the pulse points. It really helps. I just don't know if the water would come out of the tap cold enough there. It's worth a try though.

As for the cause, I really couldn't tell you. You should definitely speak to a doctor about it though.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Also, eat lots of spicy food and drink loads of water! This summer got a bit hot even for me (it's hard to work on a warm computer when it's 38 degrees with tropic humidity out) but that helped. I also took a siesta each day. People in spanish-speaking countries have that one right! Everyone should be allowed to have a siesta in the summer.

Comment

Spicy food helps? Well I better start building up a tolerance to spicy food then lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It probably is a weight thing, since it has increased over time. My gf said that she tolerates the weather better now that she is at a smaller size so it could be just that. My hormones were checked a while ago (I had the issue then too) and they appeared to be all normal so it wouldnt be that.

William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
                          I am not sure if this is weight related or what. I get hot and bothered when its as cool as 21 degrees c/71.6 f so I am dreading summer coming up because average temp will be like 30 c/86 f and above.

Does anyone else have this issue or know of possible solutions to reduce overheating? Like I said I am not sure if it is just weight related or whether slim people experience this also.
                          Where exactly do you live? I get the heat thing, but it is going to get waaaaaay hotter than 30 degrees C, it's already over that here. I'm more concerned about it being over 40! Where do you live that you are stressing about 30+? What a cold place to live....
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                            Where exactly do you live? I get the heat thing, but it is going to get waaaaaay hotter than 30 degrees C, it's already over that here. I'm more concerned about it being over 40! Where do you live that you are stressing about 30+? What a cold place to live....
                            I live in perth. It gets way over 30 degrees regularly but the avergage is around about 30-35 degrees. For some reason we are a bit slow with the heat this year not that I am complaining. I stress about 30 because I overheat at 25 :/ I wish it were a cold place to live.

William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
                              I live in perth. It gets way over 30 degrees regularly but the avergage is around about 30-35 degrees. For some reason we are a bit slow with the heat this year not that I am complaining. I stress about 30 because I overheat at 25 :/ I wish it were a cold place to live.
                              I thought it would get warmed than that there. It's already around 30 here in the Flinders. It was around 38 degrees on Wednesday, and was still 32 at 10 pm that night, thank god we had a cool change.

Hopefully the heat continues to be slow in coming to Perth!
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment