Idols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idols

I actually have always wondered why some religions dislike the use of idols like Judaism and Sikhism. I personally don't see why it's bad to have your god or goddess portrayed. I mean, wouldn't you want to know what your deity looks like? But I also thought there was a purpose of idols. Has anyone thought that maybe praying to idols, that the stones are sort of like telephones. Just something to connect with the god or goddess? Is that the purpose of the statue or did people just like to portray their deities?

Re: Idols

Hey I can contribute to this!
    Idol worship varied a lot, first off. Some groups literally thought idols were gods. Some thought that that idols contained a 'spirit' that they worshiped. Some thought that the idol was simply a representation of a god, which is the interpretation that has survived the most to the modern era. So I guess the answer is... All of those things. All of them have happened at one point or another.

One simple reason Judaism doesn't like it is that the Bible really doesn't like idol worship. I mean, there you go.

Another reason is that many practitioners believe that you cannot accurately portray god, because god is beyond anything we can imagine, so to reduce god to an image is sacrilege to them.
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
      Hey I can contribute to this!
      Idol worship varied a lot, first off. Some groups literally thought idols were gods. Some thought that that idols contained a 'spirit' that they worshiped. Some thought that the idol was simply a representation of a god, which is the interpretation that has survived the most to the modern era. So I guess the answer is... All of those things. All of them have happened at one point or another.

One simple reason Judaism doesn't like it is that the Bible really doesn't like idol worship. I mean, there you go.

Another reason is that many practitioners believe that you cannot accurately portray god, because god is beyond anything we can imagine, so to reduce god to an image is sacrilege to them.
      That's true. I have heard stories of people contacting their gods and goddesses through statues because that was their way of contacting them or that the statues themselves did in fact contain the spirit of their deity. I know Jews don't like it because the bible says so but they never explain as to WHY Yahweh doesn't like idol worship. Just because. I do understand the argument of being unable to make a statue of God because God is beyond mortal comprehension. Even Sikhs don't like it and they aren't an Abrahamic religion. They believe God isn't born or dead or any physical form that we can comprehend. Catholics don't mind apparently but having a statue of Jesus would violate one of the 10 commandments wouldn't it? Since Jesus is the son of God or he's supposed to BE God, having a staue violates one of the 10 commandements. But then again Jesus also introduced things such as being able to eat what you want and not be as strict as Judaism. I'm not sure what Jesus said about idol worship.

Comment

Catholics do mind. They have statues, they just don't worship them.

Catholics don't find having a representation of Jesus, or a saint, or god blasphemous, but they do find worshiping the image rather than the entity wrong, if that makes sense.

Its a common misconception though.

(also there is an explanation somewhere in the bible I believe, but I'd have to look it up)
        hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
          Catholics do mind. They have statues, they just don't worship them.

Catholics don't find having a representation of Jesus, or a saint, or god blasphemous, but they do find worshiping the image rather than the entity wrong, if that makes sense.

Its a common misconception though.

(also there is an explanation somewhere in the bible I believe, but I'd have to look it up)
          But they still worship Jesus though. So I guess in this case it's just something to represent their god, but not dance around it or worship it. Then again in Judaism, it's obvious they didn't completly forbid it. If that was the case then there wouldn't be angles on the Ark of the Covenant which is strange since Yahweh commanded that you shall not make any graven image from heaven above.

Comment

Working...
          X