Re: Dharmic and Oriental section

Don't forget Shinto!

Ah well. I know it does not need a board. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra View Post
      Don't forget Shinto!

Ah well. I know it does not need a board. :P
      That's true, not too many people talk about Shinto, which is an interesting religion. I always wanted to know more about it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
        That's true, not too many people talk about Shinto, which is an interesting religion. I always wanted to know more about it though.
        Well, Shinto has almost no influence outside Japan. The only shrines outside Japan are in Hawaii (fairly strong Shinto influence there) and one in the mainland U.S., in Washington State (Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America.) Also, if you are Shinto and not in Japan, you will not find anyone celebrating Shinto holidays such as the upcoming Oshogatsu.

While Shinto has very strong ties to Japan, it is not impossible to practice Shinto outside of Japan (contrary to what some will tell you.) The truth is Shinto requires no conversion. Shinto is the Way of the Kami - a set of beliefs about spirits & nature (which are directly and intimately connected) and revering them. You follow Shinto or you do not follow Shinto - it is that simple. One of the things I love about Shinto is that there is no conflict with other religions. It is perfectly acceptable to be a part of other religions in addition to following the Way of the Kami. In fact, many people do, in tandem with Buddhism. I have found that Shinto is very compatible with paganism - really, it feels like a pantheon, but is a bit different in that all gods are spirits and they are directly connected with the natural world.

Anyway, this is not really the place for this discussion, so sorry for typing so much. If you want to know more, I can make a topic elsewhere, but be forewarned that I am not Japanese and so my knowledge of things Shinto may be a bit more limited (no one to discuss it with) and also remember that every practitioner may have a different take on their religion. I have a very pagan-influenced perspective on kami.

Comment

So...here's the thing...I'm mostly the person that tinkers with the forum organization as far as different sections, etc go. We aren't opposed to change if it has a purpose, we just aren't fans of changing things for change's sake and the the change being wasted because no one uses it. The staff has had some discussion on this matter, and a few other reorganizational changes, but nothing has been decided yet. I'm going to lock this thread, and open a new one, not just on the idea of adding this board, but on any other suggestions about adding/combining/changing boards.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X