This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Agnosticism

"Perhaps change/combine the existing Atheism board into a single area for Agnostics and Atheists? Just a thought. "

I think, this^ is the option that I am most comfortable with, considering that I'm not one for willy-nilly adding stuff...and since I'm sort of the default person that did the boards in the first place (beneath my green, I also have admin powers, I just keep them on the DL).

Also, I'm with Bjorn, in the agnostic sense... In practice I'm a polytheist (suspended disbelief is my thang)...but in actual theological belief, I'm a pantheist. And either way, I am fully aware that this is only one opinion and the only "true" thing that one can say about god is this:

know about divine beings, regardless of their nature (or indeed that *anyone* can know about divine beings): There is no such thing as an objective event, fact or state(ment) that one can make about a completely abstract idea that is entirely subjective.my blog post on the subject of what I believe)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
      Can we have a thread/section for that, please? I do not identify with Atheism at all but I also do not believe in any other religion because of my militant belief that absolutely everyone, everywhere, is wrong about god/religion/spirituality. There is simply no way to know and no way to prove it, and every talk about gods as real makes me snicker.
      Bjorn, I would suggest you create a thread about it for starters. And then members can talk about it, and even create more threads about Agnosticism as I'm sure different topics will arise.

And if it becomes something lots of people are talking about, maybe with time it will get it's own section. But that's something that will need further discussion among the staff.

So go ahead and make the thread!
      [4:82]

Comment

I went ahead and changed the Athiesm section to "Atheism and Agnosticism". This way, its more clear, welcoming and inclusive. Which should prevent "that guy" (whomever that guy actually is, we all know a "that guy") from pointing his finger and whining because someone isn't "really an atheist" or whatever.

Just play nice, and everything will be alright.

^one of the few, very, very few times you will see me do that.

Actually, I just might post something in there a bit later...
        Last edited by thalassa; 11 Dec 2013, 05:06.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          So we can't even agree what Agnostic is.
          Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
          We suck badly at this.
          Let's all throw our definitions of what Agnostic is.
          But let's bash the Agnostic because she doesn't know her own beliefs.

Fire fire fire everyone. You are all fired.
          goodnight.:=I:
          That's why I adopted the label in the first place -- because I don't know what to believe, so I simply do what makes my spirit happy without the pressure of having to commit to anything. I'm still learning and searching and I know I'll never have the total truth but I still search anyway.

Besides, I thought the definition of agnostic was pretty straight forward. I wasn't trying to start a pedantic argument, just get a thread going where people would be willing to answer from a reasonable perspective instead of insisting they were right.

Ack. I be fired

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          I went ahead and changed the Athiesm section to "Atheism and Agnosticism". This way, its more clear, welcoming and inclusive. Which should prevent "that guy" (whomever that guy actually is, we all know a "that guy") from pointing his finger and whining because someone isn't "really an atheist" or whatever.

Just play nice, and everything will be alright.

^one of the few, very, very few times you will see me do that.

Actually, I just might post something in there a bit later...
          I shall respect your kindness and treat all polite debate with tact and compassion (or silence, haha)

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
          Bjorn, I would suggest you create a thread about it for starters. And then members can talk about it, and even create more threads about Agnosticism as I'm sure different topics will arise.

And if it becomes something lots of people are talking about, maybe with time it will get it's own section. But that's something that will need further discussion among the staff.

So go ahead and make the thread!
          Pweeee! Thanks
          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
            That's why I adopted the label in the first place -- because I don't know what to believe, so I simply do what makes my spirit happy without the pressure of having to commit to anything. I'm still learning and searching and I know I'll never have the total truth but I still search anyway.

Besides, I thought the definition of agnostic was pretty straight forward. I wasn't trying to start a pedantic argument, just get a thread going where people would be willing to answer from a reasonable perspective instead of insisting they were right.

Ack. I be fired

- - - Updated - - -

I shall respect your kindness and treat all polite debate with tact and compassion (or silence, haha)

Thank you!
            You are definetly NOT fired. Your reasons for calling yourself an Agnostic are exactly how Agnostics would view themselves. You have questions. You are in 'transit' with your beliefs. Not quite reading or wanting or for that fact needing to be anything other than how or what you are. I just hate when people of a different belief system want to tell you how you should do it.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              You are definetly NOT fired. Your reasons for calling yourself an Agnostic are exactly how Agnostics would view themselves. You have questions. You are in 'transit' with your beliefs. Not quite reading or wanting or for that fact needing to be anything other than how or what you are. I just hate when people of a different belief system want to tell you how you should do it.
              -struts like a rooster- Aww yeeeeah >
              No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

(I started a thread in the other section, and am locking this one, because I'm pretty sure everything has been handled)
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X