Help Rafe name the baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Rafe name the baby!

I like Aiden and Cameron for boy names. Or combining them for Caiden.

More importantly, girl names. I like Natalie. Also, Andromeda... though how to shorten it poses a problem. Baretta (is that spelt right?), Retta for short. All of these names break my name rules though... I didn't want the name we chose to be more than two syllables, or easily broken down into a nickname. And I wanted unique, but not foreign or exotic sounding. We're going with Nova (fyi), but I guess you're far enough away you can steal it if you want... though it could be interesting at forum meetups!
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I always wanted to name my Daughter Rachel, if I ever had any kids... But due to certain circumstances that I won't get into here, I now cannot lest I set her up for a childhood full of ridicule and bullying by brat kids.

Girl names I fancy are Elizabet (no h), Elsbeth or Lizabeth, then Abigail, Sanova, Kenzie, Blair, Miranda, Anica...
      Boy names I fancy are Niall (like Neil), Aidan, Jock (not Jack), Anton...
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

For a girl... Natalie... or the Spanish version, Nathalie.

My friend, Van, was given the nickname "Hammer" at some point in his life, and thus continually attempts to get pregnant women to name their offspring after him...

Thus, in his stead, I suggest "Hammer" as the name of your child.

Hammer, The Hammer, Sledge, Claw, Ball-Peen, etc... any will appease him.
        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          So...what about Lucienne? Its basically Lucy Anne, which is close to Anna, but all in one, and with an 'eh' in the middle instead of an 'ah'...and it means "light". Its one of our 3.0 middle name possibilities for a girl. we were thinking Lucky for a family nickname, and Luci otherwise. since we aren't doing a #3, I'm good with tossing it up for grabs!

And, TBH...it makes a good middle name, goes with all sorts of stuff...like Sabrina, and even Ainsley.
          Heh, I work with an Ainsley. I'm all for that option.

I have one heartfelt request. Absolutely no variation of Jessica whatsoever under any circumstance. I don't dislike the name (I know and close friends with some Jessicas). I simply know WAY too many people with it. Adding another Jessica to keep straight in my head may cause spontaneous headsplosion and self regen is a b****.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
            Daisy
            Hester
            Astor
            Astrid
            Sofia
            Ophelia
            Genevieve
            Eve
            Rory
            Rona
            Fiona
            Bianca
            Marianna
            Dahlia
            Cynthia
            Uriah
            Penny
            Penelope
            Sahara
            Whitney
            Quin
            Vivian
            Victoria
            Blair
            Brynne
            Gloria
            Lily
            Tatiana
            Basil
            Rosa
            Wren
            Lira
            Lumen
            Leandra (I know a kid with this name and she's a piece of shit, but her name is all right)
            Aria

I'm running out of names.
            I like your taste. Several of those names were on my initial list, actually, and some of them still are.

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
            I always wanted to name my Daughter Rachel, if I ever had any kids... But due to certain circumstances that I won't get into here, I now cannot lest I set her up for a childhood full of ridicule and bullying by brat kids.
            *thinks* Yeah, I think I can see why! LOL...

Hopefully this won't be found by anyone in my family, but here's the girl name I'm currently considering, and where it comes from.
            My oldest's middle name is a great-grandparent's nickname. When he was old enough to talk, he started calling my grandmother "Darling" because that's what she always called him. My grandfather suggested Wendy for a girl name recently, which my husband LOVED, and it didn't occur to me until later that the original Wendy's last name was Darling - if we named her Wendy Darling, she'd have the same naming pattern of having a great-grandparent's nickname for a middle name.

But is that a ridiculous name? Specifically pairing Wendy with Darling, like we're crazy Barrie fans or something? We could always just make Darling her middle name, which I kind of like, even if we don't use Wendy...

Comment

That's actually quite adorable -- Wendy Darling. And it's literary, not "pop" culture, so I say go for it.

Comment

I think its adorable, either as Wendy Darling, or _________ Darling...as long as its not Dahlia Darling...that one just sounds wrong.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

And, don't forget the "yell test"--you know, yelling the entire name out as if calling her to dinner from playing out in the yard when she didn't listen the first five times...sometimes a good name goes wrong there.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Hard to sound too upset at someone who's middle name is Darling, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                      That depends on if you are the type the uses the middle name when annoyed.

My kid isn't really impressed with that. If I call her Lillian instead of Lily however, she knows she's in trouble.

Comment

I suggest the "yell test" less over the idea that you will actually be yelling their entire name at them, and more because, when said a certain cadences, I suffer from the problem of having a first and middle name that don't go well together...and it was a great source of amusement in school at my expense.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                          On the other hand the name is just begging for Peter Pan jokes.
                          Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                            On the other hand the name is just begging for Peter Pan jokes.
                            Yeah... I tend to agree. It's too cutesy for my taste but hey, it's not my baby and I was called ever mean name in the book because of my obviously male name so I can say that a name that attracts attention could shape someone into a "tough as nails, don't give a shit about you" kind of person, a shrinking violet who hates the identity, or someone with a large chip on their shoulder.

To this day, if someone calls me Michelle, they get a glare that will melt their face off. It is the quickest way under my skin and I fucking loathe it.
                            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                              To this day, if someone calls me Michelle, they get a glare that will melt their face off. It is the quickest way under my skin and I fucking loathe it.
                              I was one of 5 Michelles--to differentiate, we had a Shelly, a Mickie, an Elle, a Michelle, and a Meesh/Meesha (me, though I had a few friends that called me Chelle and my parents call me Michelle). I didn't mind it that much, it was Michelle Lynne that was the problem. Go ahead...say it fast, about 5 times.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                                ... it was Michelle Lynne that was the problem. Go ahead...say it fast, about 5 times.
                                Oh, that probably went poorly for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X