Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Rafe name the baby!

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    I was one of 5 Michelles--to differentiate, we had a Shelly, a Mickie, an Elle, a Michelle, and a Meesh/Meesha (me, though I had a few friends that called me Chelle and my parents call me Michelle). I didn't mind it that much, it was Michelle Lynne that was the problem. Go ahead...say it fast, about 5 times.
    Yeah but my name is Michael. Not Michelle. At least they gave you nicknames, jeeebus, that just seems cruel and lazy. May as well have been 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

But I DO need some new tires...
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
      On the other hand the name is just begging for Peter Pan jokes.
      I have mixed feelings about both Wendy AND Darling - I think whether we used Darling or not would depend on my grandmother's take on the idea. But I don't know that I would go ahead with the pairing of Wendy WITH Darling... that seems like a little much.

I had a really similar experience naming my first one - the first name we chose for him and my maiden name would have been the name of a pop culture character (an awesome one, but still). Some people thought that was a great idea, but it just came across as me sounding like a fangirl and I didn't like that at all...

Comment

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I was one of 5 Michelles--to differentiate, we had a Shelly, a Mickie, an Elle, a Michelle, and a Meesh/Meesha
          I have a friend, whose dad wanted to name her Michelle, but he didn't want people to call her by a nickname, like Shelly... so he named her Shelly.

it was Michelle Lynne that was the problem. Go ahead...say it fast, about 5 times.
          I could see where that might be tiring.
          "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
            I have mixed feelings about both Wendy AND Darling - I think whether we used Darling or not would depend on my grandmother's take on the idea. But I don't know that I would go ahead with the pairing of Wendy WITH Darling... that seems like a little much.
            Darling seems odd to me. It's a title, a term of endearment, not a name (IMHO). And kids can be mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
              Darling seems odd to me. It's a title, a term of endearment, not a name (IMHO). And kids can be mean.
              If anyone used middle names anymore anyway, I would agree. At most, these days, it's just an initial on some paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                I had a really similar experience naming my first one - the first name we chose for him and my maiden name would have been the name of a pop culture character (an awesome one, but still). Some people thought that was a great idea, but it just came across as me sounding like a fangirl and I didn't like that at all...
                I know a guy who is Ricky Dean Martin... whether he goes by his first name or his middle name, he can't escape always being compared to someone famous... he hates it.
                "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                  But I DO need some new tires...

Even better, my last name was a soup brand. Chicken Noodle was another crowd favorite. Goodyear Chicken Noodle, that's my secret identity.

Rafe! You should name all your children George Foreman, like George Foreman!
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I really, really, really like Wendy. I'd have two daughters named Wendy, if K'Roe wasn't bigger than me.

(probably because as a four year old I was infatuated with Casper's witchy girlfriend. Holy Freud! That probably explains why I hang out with pagans, too..)
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                      I have a friend, whose dad wanted to name her Michelle, but he didn't want people to call her by a nickname, like Shelly... so he named her Shelly.
                      I've read this sentence several times but his logic still defies me .

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      I really, really, really like Wendy. I'd have two daughters named Wendy, if K'Roe wasn't bigger than me.
                      The only Wendy I knew growing up was the one in Peter Pan and that character always annoyed me big time. I much prefered Tinkerbell and Tiger Lily.
                      Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I think it's weird when people name their kids something like "Walter Walters" or "Steven Stevenson", where the first & last names are almost the same.

Sometimes, all good intentions go wrong. Like the very lovely name "Analise", which led a friends daughter to being called some pretty awful nicknames later on.

And seemingly small differences that lead a person to have to constantly correct people - like Marie vs. Maria, or Diana vs. Diane, or Anna vs. Anne can be so annoying. Mine's that way and it does get tiring after half a century or so of having to spell it out!
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                          I think it's weird when people name their kids something like "Walter Walters" or "Steven Stevenson", where the first & last names are almost the same.
                          I know a Daniel McDaniel. Poor guy.

I just found online some film guy named his kid Everley Darling. I think it's pretty, except its a boy's name...which it seems sort of more lyrical than I'd expect. I think it would make a great girl's name.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                            I went to high school with a 'David Davidson' and a 'Peter Peterson.'

WHA?

Comment

There was a guy on American Idol or one of those shows called Phillip Phillips, wasn't there? I've heard him on the radio.

Comment

I always make jokes about having kids named Remington and Rusty. Guess what my last name is?

Comment

Working...
                                X