Help Rafe name the baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Rafe name the baby!

Back in the day when people didn't freak out about student privacy, a neighbor lady (and 4th grade teacher) hired me (I "worked" for her from 6th grade til 11th when she retired) to grade papers (also to help cut out laminated stuff and help with her bulletin boards). I kid you not, over those six years, she had a Jacob Jacobson, a Michael Michaleson, a Steven Stevens, and my personal favorite, a Smythe Smith. She also had a student names Max Hammer...which is just cool.

I also had a little girl in my swimming lessons names Lytling. Supposedly it means "beloved", but I don't know what language.

...which is another idea (not necessarily for Rafe, but for anyone)--change the language of a word for a name.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
      I always make jokes about having kids named Remington and Rusty. Guess what my last name is?
      I am SO fuggin jealous. My last name makes me sound like a British douche and it's like, the ONE part of my heritage that maintained the English. So lame. No one sounds cool with a name that drums up imagery of lawyers and monocles, especially when you're in KS.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      I also had a little girl in my swimming lessons names Lytling. Supposedly it means "beloved", but I don't know what language.
      All I can hear now is Star Wars. "He killed the younglings!"
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I work with a guy called James James.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

There was a bloke near where I used to live called Ivor Brain.

In Welsh, beloved (for a girl) is Angharad (pronounced roughly like Ann-Harad). Though you could use Carys, Cerys or even Cariad for much the same meaning.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            Angharad (pronounced roughly like Ann-Harad)
            That's gorgeous!

Comment

Fiona, from the Irish: I think it means "fair"...

Siglinde, from the German: means "gentle victory"...
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
              Tribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                I have a friend, whose dad wanted to name her Michelle, but he didn't want people to call her by a nickname, like Shelly... so he named her Shelly.
                My parent's kinda did this. Dad liked Natasha, but mum didn't, and realised they'd call me Sasha anyway, so just went with that.

Also my sister in law, for some unknown reason... Called her son Jimmy. No, not James. Jimmy. Jimmy is not a name. It's a nickname. What if the kid wants to be a doctor, or a lawyer? Her second son, she called Archie. Seriously woman.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Overheard someone called Laramie today. That's kind of pretty. Don't know if it's generally a male or female name, but if it's a girl, I could call her Lara for short.

Comment

something to LOL about...http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04...get-away-with/

(waiting for news)
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X