This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My rant on the Mormons in Utah

I live in a small, isolated town in Utah, the people here are usually cold and ruthless, being a literal citizen of the world (Born in Japan) I thought there was no culture I couldn't grow to understand or accept. However, Utah Mormons have proved me wrong, I had known Mormons outside of this state, usually nice people, helpful and kind. But in Utah, they bring out the worse qualities any religion can posses; they have convinced themselves above all that because they go to church on a weekly basis, they will ascend to heaven, instead of taking lessons from church and respecting their fellow man, they seek out non-Mormons and harass them or shame them into conversion (a close friend of mine was bullied for two years before getting baptized because these two Mormon douchebags thought they were doing god's work by forcing him to come to a baptism so they would stop ruining his life.), the worse part is the adults do not believe this is going on and when they see it happen, they are proud of their children for doing the lord's work. In recent years, with ideologies and new beliefs at our fingertips due to technology, they have only gotten more aggressive as their numbers dwindle, for every convert to a new religion, they grow, especially at my high school, ten times more fervent and passionate about their beliefs. It has gone from "Mr. Teacher maybe you shouldn't talk about Christ? You're teaching math." to me explaining my beliefs, and random Mormon kids making it their goal to see me baptized. I have about four kids that I honestly thought just wanted to learn about my beliefs, that have told me they wish I would get baptized and they will stop me in the halls and show me stories from various Christian websites and tell me personal revelations to try to convince me to accept Christ as my lord and savior. Now while being Christian is fine and dandy, this sort of behavior is very inappropriate especially in a school, I ranted here because I felt it was much more likely that people would understand this sort of persecution, I have had grown adults mock my beliefs as well as teenagers and children, if I retaliate, I am the one that gets in trouble. I do not want to be the "We are being persecuted" guy but I think the only thing that will change this behavior is education on the various beliefs especially many"Pagan" ones that Abrahamic religions condemn with no exception. So I encourage everyone, if someone asks about your faith, explain it to them, if they understand why that is your belief and what you believe, that will be one less person to spout ignorant hate speech towards all people.

Re: My rant on the Mormons in Utah

I live in a small, isolated town in the Ozarks.....same stuff going on, basically, but with Baptists.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I think this is really just and Christian religion in the US, it seems that more Christian churches use the bible to manipulate their followers to spread hate and their religion than any other place I've been to. I almost got suspended for talking to someone who was interested in Shinto and my teacher was convinced I was trying to convert him. A week later another Mormon kid literally preached to me and one of my atheist friend in front of the teacher and when he was done he asked when we would like to accept Christ. He did not even get told to calm down or stop even though it obviously bothered my friend and I.

Comment

Yeah, and areas where there's a homogenous population, and no exposure to other cultures. They start thinking they are the sum total of humankind.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

That is pretty much Utah, brainwashed conservative Nazi's, I actually did introduce a friend to the concept of paganism because he told me he was interested, I really hopes he does find what he is looking for because it would be nice to have more than one pagan friend that has moved away.

Comment

I'm very sorry other Christians have been so mean, cruel, and intolerant towards you. Their focusing on their own personal conversion record, rather than the health and happiness of those around them, is wrong in itself.

While I doubt that they will learn acceptance let alone tolerance, I hope things get easier for you there.
            hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
              I'm very sorry other Christians have been so mean, cruel, and intolerant towards you. Their focusing on their own personal conversion record, rather than the health and happiness of those around them, is wrong in itself.

While I doubt that they will learn acceptance let alone tolerance, I hope things get easier for you there.
              Honestly the hardest thing with dealing with them is being told "no" by Mormon girls simply because I am not Mormon. I have no doubt there are good Christians but in Utah, the Mormons are out of control, there should probably be a federal agency that encourages tolerance, hopefully that kind of agency could at least convince them to shut up if they have nothing nice to say.

Comment

Originally posted by sirz345 View Post
                there should probably be a federal agency that encourages tolerance, hopefully that kind of agency could at least convince them to shut up if they have nothing nice to say.
                I know countless non-Christians that would suffer such censorship, as well, not just this one small Christian sect.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Honestly the hardest thing with dealing with them is being told "no" by Mormon girls simply because I am not Mormon. I have no doubt there are good Christians but in Utah, the Mormons are out of control, there should probably be a federal agency that encourages tolerance, hopefully that kind of agency could at least convince them to shut up if they have nothing nice to say.
                  The courts both state and federal would beat such an organization to death in under a year, burn its properties and sow the ground with salt. 1st Amendment protections are a double edged sword. Receiving them means accepting that other people get them too.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    The courts both state and federal would beat such an organization to death in under a year, burn its properties and sow the ground with salt. 1st Amendment protections are a double edged sword. Receiving them means accepting that other people get them too.
                    The agency's purpose would be to promote tolerance and discourage hate, all kinds of hate. Religious hate, ethnic hate, racial hate, national hate, etc.

Comment

The agency's purpose would be to promote tolerance and discourage hate, all kinds of hate. Religious hate, ethnic hate, racial hate, national hate, etc.
                      I'm okay with hate. Acting on the hate in a way that denies the rights of others is the problem.

See, the First Amendment gives us the right to express ourselves. That means it gives us the right to be offended. It doesn't give us the right to be free of offense. And I'd rather have that, that not. I'd rather have someone able to hate me out loud, so that I know where to smile politely and say obnoxiously kind words and offer sweet tea and cucumber sandwiches. I'd rather look 'em in the eye when I make them look like the asshole that they are.

Can't do that once you get rid of assholish behavior on the basis of the law.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

and once "discouraging" starts looking like censorship which is relatively easy to pull off the organization will be placed in front of a court by someone and my prior statement comes into play. Freedom of expression is interpreted quite broadly, there are only a handful of cases (thou shalt not yell "Fire" in a crowded theater being a common example) where the court system does not respond nastily to people trying to infringe on it.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Honestly the hardest thing with dealing with them is being told "no" by Mormon girls simply because I am not Mormon.

Can I just comment that this sentence jumps out at me like a giant red flag? Girls are allowed to say no to you for whatever damned reason they want, including your religion and if your feet smell. They owe you nothing.

Anyway, back to your intolerance about their intolerance and that little paradoxical loop. Enjoy.

Comment

I've always wanted to go to Utah to see all those state parks. They always play those state tourism commercials here in California. Makes it look awesome.

I have nothing else to say. The Mormons on my bus route are very kind boys.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I wish Dez weren't so busy. She made an interesting Mormon, and a very lovely friend. I miss her posts around here.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                              X