This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: prejudice against white people

In the summer of 1966, there were race riots in Brooklyn. Most whites had already fled the area. My family was one of very few left in the neighborhood. My grandmother was mugged & had her purse stolen, my father was hit from behind, our cat was murdered, and there were rape/death threats against my mother & I. (My parents told me that part years later, as I was only 9 at the time.)
    These things still happen today. I presently live in a 98% white area, and there is a lot of bigotry in the other direction. Sad to say, but it seems to be inherent in human behavior. The majority picks on the minority, based on demographics, not color.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
      The fact still remains that Europeans came over and ****** them royally in the ear. This is the very, very, very, very least we could do.
      The Celts did it to the Picts, the Anglo-Saxons did it to the Celts. The Incas did it to whoever was there before them, the Spanish did it to the Incas. It's the story of the past, and of all history.

I - and nobody else - can change the past. We can choose not to do it in the future, but, if we are going to assign guilt, then pretty much everybody is equally guilty.

[Fixed quote ~ Chain]
      Last edited by ChainLightning; 09 Jan 2014, 16:09.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        The Celts did it to the Picts, the Anglo-Saxons did it to the Celts. The Incas did it to whoever was there before them, the Spanish did it to the Incas. It's the story of the past, and of all history.

I - and nobody else - can change the past. We can choose not to do it in the future, but, if we are going to assign guilt, then pretty much everybody is equally guilty.
        Don't think Europeans are over what they did to each other over history. They are not over it.

I don't even think it's conscious anymore. It comes down to rivalries and stereotypes based on thousands of years of history.

Comment

The point of the matter is this: if you LOOK white, people will treat you white.

And no, I don't think there's anything weird about it. We slaughtered them and stole their country. Yes, I know you didn't. Neither did I or any of my family. The fact still remains that Europeans came over and f***** them royally in the ear. This is the very, very, very, very least we could do.

1. what does "being treated white" even mean? My husband sort of looks white, depending on who's eyes you are using. (when we applied for our marriage license they asked, because they thought he was Hispanic.) So he has "sort of" white treatment? I don't even know what you are talking about.

2. My family, while of mixed low-end European heritage, wasn't even HERE when these things happens. How in the heck am I to blame for it? By virtue of that fact that someone from the same CONTINENT was a killer? By that logic, we are all to blame for everything.

History is glut full of atrocities and what happened to the Native People of the US is hardly even on the list of 'horrible shit done in the name of getting more land.' People think that North America was like the movie Pocahontas before the Europeans came...and it was not. There was as much infighting between tribal groups leading to their deaths as our intervention caused. There was a disease (history debates that it was either a homegrown virus or introduced by Spanish in South America by accident) that wiped out the vast majority of the native population before "we" even showed up. And "we" didn't include most white people, just a few.

But please, tell me how I personally f***** them some more.

[Quote repaired, excess profanity removed ~ Courtesy of Chain]
          Last edited by ChainLightning; 09 Jan 2014, 16:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
            People should only be judged for their OWN actions, regardless of where their skin falls on the chocolate-vanilla spectrum.
            On this issue, I think that this variety of opinion is the only opinion that makes honest sense.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Picked this up from the "Unpopular Opinions" thread -

Do "white people" (whatever that is) deserve to be blamed for the bad things that have happened, or are happening,to people with other skin colors?
              I don't believe in things like 'the sins of the fathers' or 'racial guilt'. I don't feel any modern person today deserves to be blamed for anything their ancestors or parents did unless they are still doing it. If I actively tried to bring back slavery, or went out scalping native Americans, or make a bunch of black people dress up in old-timey servant uniforms for any event, or wear black-face, or tell racist jokes, or refuse service to people based on the color of their skin then I deserve all the hatred and more. All of our ancestors have done some pretty messed up things to other people - not just those of us with Caucasians and other white-skinned ancestors. We've been doing it since we were Neanderthals & Cro-Magnons. The Japanese had Korean 'comfort women'. Africans had been selling or trading their own people into slavery for hundreds of years. Mongolians killed everybody in their way. Nordic people killed Irish people. We need to let it go so we as a species can move forward.

We are all selfish, self-centered, superstitious, suspicious hateful bastards at heart. We fear anyone and anything we cannot recognize, and we are killing ourselves off because of it. Discussions like this only serve to dredge up ugly feelings in people. It does nothing to help or solve the issues being discussed.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                People should only be judged for their OWN actions, regardless of where their skin falls on the chocolate-vanilla spectrum.
                That's my thoughts exactly. If we do this, it will by its very nature do more to change issues of race vs. fighting over who to point fingers at.

Comment

It's pretty troublesome and like saying this about every white person.
                  I mean, in every nation there are good and bad people, so it's hard for me to tell.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                    We are all selfish, self-centered, superstitious, suspicious hateful bastards at heart. We fear anyone and anything we cannot recognize, and we are killing ourselves off because of it. Discussions like this only serve to dredge up ugly feelings in people. It does nothing to help or solve the issues being discussed.
                    I don't know that I agree. I think as a SPECIES we are screwed up. But one person at a time we can actually make changes. If you can change a single person, that will change the world more than running around feeling self righteous guilt because of what color you happen to be born.

It's good to talk about anyway. We don't get anywhere by avoiding the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                      I don't know that I agree. I think as a SPECIES we are screwed up. But one person at a time we can actually make changes. If you can change a single person, that will change the world more than running around feeling self righteous guilt because of what color you happen to be born.

It's good to talk about anyway. We don't get anywhere by avoiding the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                        Yeah, I just narrowly avoided this quote. This is so my theory.

Comment

My whole point isn't that caucasians should be punished. My point is that white privilege exists, and colored privilege is made of up guilt for having white privilege.

If you don't think white privilege exists then, well, I think you're blind.
                          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

My whole point isn't that caucasians should be punished. My point is that white privilege exists, and colored privilege is made of up guilt for having white privilege.

If you don't think white privilege exists then, well, I think you're blind.
                            I could concede this if I we could even define what the hell "white" even is.

But we can't.

The privilege I see is cultural, not color. I most certainly have cultural privilege skewing me towards a suburban life with a white picket fence over someone born in the ghetto. But do I have some some of inherent privilege over someone like Barack Obama who was born to a wealthy family and grew up all over the world because my skin is paler? Of course not, that's insane. He's got cultural privilege too.

But culture CAN be overcome. That's why we need to talk about this in the right way. I cannot become black or asian. I can work to change my circumstance but not my color. If we just focus on color, we can't EVER change because that's not going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                              I could concede this if I we could even define what the hell "white" even is.

But we can't.
                              This is hair-splitting to me. Filibuster. A convenient way to victimize the self.

AGAIN, I post this.
                              No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I can understand white privilege exists - but it doesn't have anything to do with whether someone of one skin color can be an ass to a person of another skin color BECAUSE of their skin color.

Comment

Working...
                                X