X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: prejudice against white people

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
    Looks like the results page expires; my mistake. Well, you can take the test here -- and my results are as noted.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/
    I'm no expert on psychological tests, but that just seemed like a test of my reflexes and right brain/left brain.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
    Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I also don't know if this is relevant but who said that only 'white people' owned slaves? Slavery was pretty much an international thing. So next time someone asks you to take the blame for slavery for being white, you should agree to do that when they do the same thing!
      [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        I'm no expert on psychological tests, but that just seemed like a test of my reflexes and right brain/left brain.
        I would agree that's part of it -- the results page was weird though, and would support a "white preference" theory. I just found it amusing that I skewed the other way. But just as likely the results could be skewed as they were due to left handed/right handed because the statistics split matches that too.

And my real point? You can make a test "prove" whatever you want it to. Statistics are a tool, but they don't paint a complete picture of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
          I also don't know if this is relevant but who said that only 'white people' owned slaves? Slavery was pretty much an international thing. So next time someone asks you to take the blame for slavery for being white, you should agree to do that when they do the same thing!
          I get hammered every time I point out that there where plenty of black slave owners as well. Some of them former slaves themselves while others were Freemen to begin with and had large slave holdings which they rented out. It falls into the same category as the blacks that fought with the South against the Union. One of the most feared snipers at Fredericksburg Virginia was a black sniper.

That coupled to the fact I am not aware of any "White" person going into internal Africa and actually capturing any people and making them slaves. It was other African people that made them slaves then sold them into slavery.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Doesn't anybody else maybe think this is all just another us vs. them mentality that people use as an excuse for whatever their particular malfunction is? (Including some REALLY ingrained white guilt?)

Comment

Doesn't anybody else maybe think this is all just another us vs. them mentality that people use as an excuse for whatever their particular malfunction is? (Including some REALLY ingrained white guilt?)
              Yes. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Perhaps off the subject, or maybe right on it, I took a quiz from Project Implicit today, facilitated by Harvard. My results were thus:

(Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for African American compared to European American.)

I think it must be because I'm a terrible racist...or something? I don't know what I think about the testing method, but I found it interesting.
                Haha I took that a few years ago and got the same result. I couldn't figure out why but it could be that i'm more sympathetic to people of other races because I'm sort of a foreigner here and I know what it's like to be different and be discriminated against? I have no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Picked this up from the "Unpopular Opinions" thread -

Do "white people" (whatever that is) deserve to be blamed for the bad things that have happened, or are happening,to people with other skin colors?
                  Why should "white people" be blamed? For what exactly? I wouldn't focus on the group but on the individual itself. All races have committed crimes and atrocities. Even Native Americans have done things they shouldn't have done. i.e. torture, capturing whites and blacks and other tribes, slavery ect. We shouldn't act as if a certain race is to blame for our troubles. There are other countries that discriminate other races and people of different religions. Blacks have mistreated whites in their countries, whites have done that, Asians have mistreated others and so forth. Besides the whites that did those bad things are dead. It's over and done with. Don't put the blame on the descendants just because their ancestors did something bad though.

Comment

Gods yes.

And not because it's terribly on-topic, but because I need to flesh out 10 characters... My middle sister thinks the guy from Duck Dynasty got handed a raw deal. She loooves that show & the guys on it. Thinks they are hilarious. She doesn't understand what all the hoopla over him saying the Jim Crow laws were better for black people because she still supports segregation - not so much having to use separate water fountains or entryways, but things like schools and prisons. She says that people of different races choose themselves to mingle with people of 'their own kind' anyway. She went to high schools in the 60s that still had race-motivated riots.

My sister is married to a black man, has 2 mixed kids & adopted 2 black kids. She doesn't exactly live her opinions.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                      Gods yes.

And not because it's terribly on-topic, but because I need to flesh out 10 characters... My middle sister thinks the guy from Duck Dynasty got handed a raw deal. She loooves that show & the guys on it. Thinks they are hilarious. She doesn't understand what all the hoopla over him saying the Jim Crow laws were better for black people because she still supports segregation - not so much having to use separate water fountains or entryways, but things like schools and prisons. She says that people of different races choose themselves to mingle with people of 'their own kind' anyway. She went to high schools in the 60s that still had race-motivated riots.

My sister is married to a black man, has 2 mixed kids & adopted 2 black kids. She doesn't exactly live her opinions.

I think that's....totally bizarre. Hypocrisy makes me confused.

Comment

Eh, I dunno, man. Back home it was predominantly white, with a minority of blacks, and a lot of Mexicans and Asians who worked in restaurants. There was plenty of racism, but it was ignorant racism. I can't recall ever hearing about a racially-based crime in the area I'm from.

Now I live in a place that is predominantly Asian, kama'aina (Native Hawaiian), and a mix of Pacific Islander, with only about 40% haolie/white. I've heard plenty of haolies complain of locals (read: Asians/Pacific Islanders) discriminating against them, including a homeless woman warning me that "you're the n****r here." I'm sure it does happen, but I have not noticed this at all. A few locals have been less-than-friendly to me when I approached them - a couple of cashiers in convenience stores, a woman I approached to ask about an empty lot next to her house - but they didn't prevent me from doing what I was doing. I find that people here, regardless of their reasons, are either very friendly or seem very sullen and cold, and nobody, haolie or local, has made me feel I was being treated differently.

On the other hand, this area is only about 3% black, and they supposedly suffer the most discrimination. I did hear the n-bomb get dropped in reference to a black man who works at the same store as I do, and it came from the mouth of a local. I am quite certain, though, that it came not from racial hatred, but the fact that the black man in question is a douche, and he is. Other than that, I haven't noticed.
                        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

It is popular to blame people or European descent for the ills of the world, but victimization of other races was happening long before the rise of the Europeans i.e. Egyptians Chinese, Mongols and Mesoamerican peoples. Europeans were able to affect larger groups of people due to their rise during the renaissance and later the industrial revolution. By the way I believe that there is not any group of people that has not been held in slavery by some other people in the past.

Comment

Just gonna say, speaking as a white person, that the worst I experience from prejudice is hurt feelings. I mean, if I cared.

For everyone else (ie, non-Whites), there's lower pay, higher incarceration rates, shitty schools, etc.

So whining about being the subject of prejudice seems kinda silly.

Comment

I don't care if you're white, black, Asian, Caucasian, etc, you have a right to get angry if someone bullies you for your race. Racism is racism.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                                People should only be judged for their OWN actions, regardless of where their skin falls on the chocolate-vanilla spectrum.
                                Agreed. I believe that nobody is more superior of the other. Without any connection to the skin colour. It can be fairly said that some black people are much better than some white ones. Not because they are smarter, but because they don't act with violence and terror towards other people.
                                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X