X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missionary Work, please reply and Debate

Because I don't know for sure...

I'm guessing there are missionary programs that are being led that are not by Westerners. Or am I way off?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

I'm guessing there are missionary programs that are being led that are not by Westerners. Or am I way off?
      I would think so.

Presumably they would give aid based on their ideals etc. But I don't know anything about those, which is why I'm talking about the Western ones and using the word 'we'.

Comment

I actually don't believe non-Westerner missionary programs exist, I think most non-Western faiths advocate missionaries for their faith, or even going out of your way to talk to people about it, I may be wrong but to my knowledge most of the non-Western faiths don't advocate missionary work.

Comment

Before I go on..what religions are considered Western and which are not? Or are we talking about Western types of folks. IE White folks in the Usa?

Comment

Before I go on..what religions are considered Western and which are not? Or are we talking about Western types of folks. IE White folks in the Usa?
            When I say 'Westerners' and 'Western ideals' I mean the major Western developed countries... Australia, the US, and most of Europe. It's a generalisation, and I usually try to avoid gross generalisations, but we do share some very basic core ideals about 'civilisation' , 'education' and what is 'best' for a community. I don't think that I referred to 'Western religions', because that doesn't sound like something that I would say... but I assume that when other people talk about 'Western religions' they mean Christianity and it's ilk.

As for the actual 'Western folk' themselves... I usually mean people who live in the above developed Western countries, regardless of race or ethnicity. Remember I'm Australian (and Adelaidian at that)... I walk into a grocery store and there are people from ten different countries and ethnicities shopping for fruit and veg. As far as I'm concerned, a third or fourth generation Australian Asian person is just as 'Western' as I am. First-gen migrants or refugees who live in a pocket community and don't interact with larger society in general perhaps don't fall into that label so well, but their children and grandchildren usually do. We have a lot of minority communities as well as integrated migrants, but I don't think that we have quite the same large-scale community segregation that happens in the US. So I don't think 'caucausian' when people say 'Western'... I think anyone who was raised and educated in a developed Western country.

But others may draw the line elsewhere. This is why I generally try not to use generalisations. First, I hate them. Second, they just lead to semantic nightmares. lol

Comment

Western:
              Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh, Ananda Marga, Jaina, Islam, Jesuit and Christian....

NON-western:
              Judaism.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                Western:
                Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh, Ananda Marga, Jaina, Islam, Jesuit and Christian....

NON-western:
                Judaism.
                Usually people use "western" to hide their Judeo-christian bigotry, from my experience.

Look, a lot of pagans have some bitterness about their childhood religion, but the first step is admitting that and getting the heck over it.

Comment

Woah. I assumed Western to be the three Abrahmic. And Easter to be those of like Shinto and Buddha. I'm gonna bow out. I'm so confused.

Comment

Woah. I assumed Western to be the three Abrahmic. And Easter to be those of like Shinto and Buddha. I'm gonna bow out. I'm so confused.

Sorry, I was just simply going by the measure of who did missionary work, since those all are apparently 'western religions', now.

And the only non-pagan, non-missionary religion I could locate was Judaism.

No, I think the problem isn't with which religions are so-called western religions, as much as it's about [invasive] missionary work that can be ignored versus not ignoring missionary work that is deemed invasive.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I've always seen people use 'Western religions' for the Abrahamic faiths minus Islam. And sometimes minus Judaism. And sometimes minus Catholicism, depending on who you're talking to.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I was just simply going by the measure of who did missionary work, since those all are apparently 'western religions', now.

And the only non-pagan, non-missionary religion I could locate was Judaism.

No, I think the problem isn't with which religions are so-called western religions, as much as it's about [invasive] missionary work that can be ignored versus not ignoring missionary work that is deemed invasive.
                      Makes sense now. I'm usually pretty good at picking up undertones but I missed that one. Silly me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                        I've always seen people use 'Western religions' for the Abrahamic faiths minus Islam. And sometimes minus Judaism. And sometimes minus Catholicism, depending on who you're talking to.
                        I've seen that quite a bit, myself. A few years ago (like, 8 or 10) I was seeing tons of "Western religions" in reference, solely, to all 'neo-pagan traditions' and various spirituals, crystals, astrology and the like. My guess is, just like "pagan", "Western" says more about what it ISN'T than what it IS. And, I'm way off topic now, I believe....

Oops.

Comment

Buddhism is a missionary religion, with a broad history of proselytism.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Satanism: We don't proselytize or do missionary work. Why?
                            Cuz f u that's y.

Vote for Satanism 2016

:devil:

Comment

Satanism: We don't proselytize or do missionary work.

I'm not precisely certain how accurate that is. Semantics aside, even, much of the symbolism prominently displayed by many Satanists could be considered a form of [albeit weak] proselytizing, and any time a group steps up to defend an individual's right to advertise their beliefs, it should be considered a type of missionary work.

Wait. I'm nitpicking, aren't I? Um... don't mind me.

**moves to the couch and pets the kittehs**

Comment

And, I'm way off topic now, I believe....

Oops.
                                Blame Medusa. She started it.

:devil:

Comment

Working...
                                X