This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Fresh: What to Learn?

Okay, this bears a quick explanation. After about two and a half years or so on my current path, I realized it wasn't working. So I've pushed everything into the this-has-gotta-go abyss to start fresh. And by "start fresh", I mean "approach paganism as if I'm a complete newcomer".

That said, what are some basic things someone in my position should learn and what might be a good order to learn them in? I'm talking stuff that will make a good non-denominational foundation for most kinds of paths a person might take. Well, as much as it's possible to guess that.

So far, I've got

1. Self-knowledge (ie: know yourself, your limits, etc)
    2. Centering
    3. Grounding
    4. Shielding
    5. Meditation
    6. Discernment (which I've already asked about here, for reference: http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...75-Discernment)
    7. Basic magical ability/knowledge (herbs, stones, techniques, etc)
    8. Divination of varying types like runes, tarot, pendulums, scrying, etc

Do you think things like "journey work" would be a good addition, or is that too specialized? Is there anything you'd add?

Thanks for your time. If I sound like a silly newb, that's 'cause I am now.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Re: Starting Fresh: What to Learn?

I would add your knowledge about various branches of paganism. Best of luck in your journey
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I would think that Journey Work would be pretty specialized, so I wouldn't include it unless the new direction your heading could possibly include it down the road.
      Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

I think this sort of depends on what you are looking for--are you looking for direct excastic experiences with deity, inner peace, lots of magic, connection with the world around you?
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Wah, I keep checking this thread, then forgetting to come back to it. D: Thanks to everybody who's responded so far.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          I think this sort of depends on what you are looking for--are you looking for direct excastic experiences with deity, inner peace, lots of magic, connection with the world around you?
          Anyway, my interests are primarily deity-centered. I do the devotional polytheist thing. Or I will, once I get on my feet.

Comment

IMHO - do no. 1 on your list, and everything else will follow from that.

It is also the most difficult achievement possible for us humans. If you can actually accomplish that, you will become like a god.

(Corbin waits to be struck down by lightning, but it doesn't happen)
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              IMHO - do no. 1 on your list, and everything else will follow from that.

It is also the most difficult achievement possible for us humans. If you can actually accomplish that, you will become like a god.

(Corbin waits to be struck down by lightning, but it doesn't happen)
              Knowing yourself is a life-long process, I guess; it's not something you pick up in a few afternoons.

Perhaps the gods themselves put this limitation on us. Can't have too much competition, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
                Knowing yourself is a life-long process, I guess; it's not something you pick up in a few afternoons.

Perhaps the gods themselves put this limitation on us. Can't have too much competition, eh?
                Yuppers! They are jealous, like insecure adolescents, or very, very bad parents.

Last edited by B. de Corbin; 21 Feb 2014, 15:42.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                X