Struggling with my Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Struggling with my Faith

I think we all struggle with our faith from time to time.. but I am sorry to hear that your experience has been rough for some time..I will echoe sentiments above in that taking the time to explore and learning about yourself may be ideal..this 'rough patch' so to speak may be happening as a means to push you towards a re-awakening in your faith..will it mean continuing in the same pantheon? *shrugs* I think we all go through change, there is nothing wrong with change but it is a choice we make how to react to this change..I hope for the best in your path and may my prayers, energy, good vibes, etc make their way to you.

Comment

maybe i never had any faith to begin with, all this talk about deities "calling" you or having a "connection" with something, is totally foreign to me, maybe i should just go back to not believing in anything?

- - - Updated - - -

holy crap! i was just looking for something to believe in, i think i bit off about 30 times more then i could handle, how many gods are there? and please tell me you don't have to worship all of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Semi-Demi-God View Post

holy crap! i was just looking for something to believe in, i think i bit off about 30 times more then i could handle, how many gods are there? and please tell me you don't have to worship all of them?
        If you choose to; if you are 'moved' to do so then sure..otherwise I don't think you are required to..Be careful what you wish for? :P

Comment

I practice a non theistic faith, Pantheism. No gods. The Universe is the Ultimate reality, and it is not a being and doesn't have a personality or ask anything particular from me. I am a function of it, fully integrated.

Works for me.

If you do want to work with a god/godess/pantheon, no you don't have to work with them all or worship them all.

Start with what moves you, what you believe in right now, and/or resonate with. That's where you are, that is what is honest and authentic. Working with a deity is a relationship, and just like you are not bound to be in a relationship with everyone on the planet (I mean in a personal sense) you are not bound to be in a relationship with any particular or all deities.

I honestly think if your faith or spiritual practice feels like a burden, it's probably not where you belong. The practice of a faith enhances one's life on every level, it does not drag one down.

Comment

isn't religion or beliefe of any kind supposed to be a burden? i thought that was a given, and you'll have to explain the "resonating with a certain deity" because i doubt I've ever known what thats like

- - - Updated - - -

i wanted to work with/for odin tyr and thor, they seemed like a pretty good trio to have on your side, considering what they stand for, but maybe I'm just delusional/stupid, sometimes i really regret waking up in the morning, well most times now.

Comment

isn't religion or beliefe of any kind supposed to be a burden? i thought that was a given, and you'll have to explain the "resonating with a certain deity" because i doubt I've ever known what thats like
              No, not exactly. A good religion will challenge you to grow into a better person (whatever "better person" means to that particular religion). It'll inform and inspire your life some times, while other times it'll annoy the crap out of you. If the annoying days outweigh the informative and inspiring ones, then something isn't right.

As for resonating, I can only give my opinion. It's kind of like when you meet somebody--and things just click. Do you get what I'm saying? Chemistry. Some sense that your paths are destined to cross, or that your work intersects.

- - - Updated - - -

i wanted to work with/for odin tyr and thor, they seemed like a pretty good trio to have on your side, considering what they stand for, but maybe I'm just delusional/stupid, sometimes i really regret waking up in the morning, well most times now.
              It's good that you're engaging your skeptical side, but you seem to be letting it interfere with your progress.

Odin can be a pretty tough god. He tends to choose His own and demand a lot (not without giving back in return, of course). I don't know much about Tyr, but from what I understand, Thor is supposed to be a "common man's" deity.

As has been stated before, it might be that none of these three want to work with you. And that is 100% ok. You are NOT defective. Since you seem to like the Germanic gods, may I recommend looking into the Greek gods? To me, They have a similar "vibe". Or you can try reaching out to other gods from the northern pantheon like Freyr or Frigga. Sometimes working with one god in a pantheon is an "in" to reach other gods.

Aside from the religious stuff, I still say you sound pretty depressed and that's not going to help you much. I'm not a doctor, but you may consider talking to your primary care physician, or visiting a low-cost clinic if that's more convenient for you. For all you know, the gods could be watching you to see what your behavior is (if that sounds cruel, well, welcome to a polytheistic universe, where the gods aren't always nice :=L.

Most of the time, gods don't expect perfection. They expect effort. Maybe They want you to work for it before They let you hear Them, if that makes sense. Unless you're getting vibes to go away, set up an altar, do some research on how to worship properly, then start doing stuff on a regular basis. Since you seem so overwhelmed, monthly is okay for now, then maybe try weekly once you get into a rhythm.

Earlier you asked about how many gods you're supposed to worship. It depends on you. A lot of people start with honoring one deity, then start honoring others as they're called to do so. Other people exclusively worship one deity without denying the existence or power of others. Feel things out to see what you like. Don't be afraid to try lots of different things, discarding what doesn't work. In the process, you'll learn more about yourself and how you work best.

Whew, this post is getting epic, so I'll shut up.
              Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

If religion was a burden, rather than something that made my life better, why would I do it? I guess if you believe that there is a vengeful deity that will harm you unless you do some things you find difficult or distasteful then it would be a burden. But that is so far from my experience that I didn't even consider it.

There are disciplines and practices and commitments I've made as part of my faith that do take effort but it still never feels like a burden, it's part of the relationship, like any relationship worth having, time and effort are involved.

I never resonated with a particular deity, so hopefully someone else will chime in. That is a term I hear many people use. My experience as far as resonating with a faith, ritual etc is this...when I participate it feels right, I "buzz" or vibrate right along with it. It makes sense, it fits, and I feel energized by it. I don't have to contort myself to get into the groove of things.

Comment

Dude, if you don't believe in deities, don't feel their presence, don't feel anything towards them besides "that seems cool", then you're an atheist. No point trying to force it. Religion is a choice, not a requirement.

Carry on as you would without it. It's really not necessary to have faith in anything. Hell, it's not necessary to devote any kind of thought or effort towards it, having or not having it doesn't change how things are.

Just do what I do man; abide. Life is what it is. Maybe there're deities, maybe there aren't. Maybe they care about worship, maybe they don't. Unanswerable questions. Just live, right now. That's all that matters.
                  Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

After reading the idea that religion was supposed to be a burden, I was thinking last night and this morning as I prepared for May Day, and lit candles on the altar what it is my faith does for me, and it is this, it calls me to my best self.

That's it. It calls me to my best self.

Comment

Satu, thats the problem, I'm ether not getting any vibes, or not understanding them. and thats discouraging to hear that all three of them might not want me, is that a permanent thing or could it change? how do i know? what would they be watching me for? if i have to prove myself somehow that seems reasonable, i just don't know what to do. how do you set up an altar and how do you worship properly, the tiny amount or information i have found i probably don't understand.

Comment

Satu, thats the problem, I'm ether not getting any vibes, or not understanding them. and thats discouraging to hear that all three of them might not want me, is that a permanent thing or could it change? how do i know? what would they be watching me for? if i have to prove myself somehow that seems reasonable, i just don't know what to do. how do you set up an altar and how do you worship properly, the tiny amount or information i have found i probably don't understand.
                        Have you set aside regular times to just sit, clear your mind, and reach out to the universe? Sounds kind of New Agey, but it does work. You should make your intention to reach out to Odin, Tyr, Thor, etc. known, and try to be open to hearing from Them. From there, it's just recognizing how the divine connects with you. Some people get signs, or hear snippets of conversations that are oddly relevant to whatever they're doing or thinking. Others get dreams, visions, etc.

Another option is to find a reputable diviner who can reach out to these gods for you and find out if They're okay with you hanging around. Try connecting on your own first before going for a diviner.

How do you know if you're wanted or not? Usually a feeling. Sometimes you get it right away. Other times it can take some time. That's OK; completely normal. In the past, I've found saying the following to the gods to be helpful: "I can be kind of dense getting the hint, so please feel free to hit me with the proverbial brick. Thanks." The times I've been out-and-out rebuffed have been pretty spectacular, but hey, at least I knew for sure.

Sometimes this can change. For example, the Shinto gods used to want nothing to do with me. Now They're okay with me worshipping Them so long as I do it properly. How do I know? A vibe I get when I focus on Their names.

I used to be devoted to the Kemetic gods and very much welcome around Them, and now I've been sent away. How do I know? The sharp vibe of "no, you belong somewhere else now" the last time I approached the shrine.

Just like relationships between people can be dynamic, so can relationships between people and deities be dynamic.

The northern gods value integrity, independence, and inner strength, so demonstrate that you have those. How? Depends on your personality and life. Sometimes you have to worship gods for awhile, too, before They communicate with you directly.

As for an altar, here's a link that might be helpful: http://www.asatrublog.com/2013/06/01...g-up-an-altar/. In general, though, most altars have the following components: a solid surface, dishes for offering food or liquids, something to pour liquids, something that produces light (usu. a candle), and something that produces a pleasant scent (usu. incense). A lot of people will light candle and incense, then offer some food and/or liquids, along with a prayer.

Look over that Asatru blog I linked to. If there's something you don't understand, start a new thread on the boards and ask for clarification. We're a nice bunch here.

Getting started is always daunting. Most gods will be a little understanding for the first few months or so while you figure out what's what. As long as you're making discernable progress, you're doing okay.
                        Last edited by Satu; 02 May 2014, 11:26. Reason: durr, helps if you post gud sentences

Comment

satu, i can make time for "meditation" type stuff, but it would help if i knew what to do. and I'm basically i hermit so i don't have the luxury of getting other people to help me, especially with spiritual matters. and i could really do with out the self blame thing i get enough of that at home, so i don't need it from the gods. but thanks for the information, its been months and i haven't found something this helpful.

Comment

satu, i can make time for "meditation" type stuff, but it would help if i knew what to do. and I'm basically i hermit so i don't have the luxury of getting other people to help me, especially with spiritual matters. and i could really do with out the self blame thing i get enough of that at home, so i don't need it from the gods. but thanks for the information, its been months and i haven't found something this helpful.
                            For the meditation stuff, what's most important is you find a short amount of time (10 - 15 minutes is good to start. If you feel like you need more time, then go ahead and take it.) to clear your mind of daily concerns and let your thoughts wander toward the gods. There are many ways to do this. For example, I'll sometimes write letters to my gods, then read them aloud. Or I'll light a candle and just clear my mind of everything except the flame.

You could play soothing music that makes you think of the divine. You can also just state your intentions of connecting with the gods, then sit there in silence. Try different things to see what works for you. Remember that a connection might not happen immediately.

I don't think the gods go for self blame. Mostly, They seem to be about personal responsibility and growth and again, as long as you're making a good effort, They'll understand. Do what you can do to the best of your ability. From personal experience (and other people's experiences may vary), the only times I've gotten in major trouble with my gods was when I stopped doing things that I could do.

Feel free to ask more questions if you get stuck somewhere.

Comment

also I've heard a little bit about making offerings, which gods like what offerings and how would one go about making said offering?

Comment

can the gods help me with back pain?

Comment

Working...
                                X