about Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: about Depression

Remember too, Heka that what works for one person may not work for another - that's partly because even the 'experts' aren't entirely sure what depression is or how best to deal with it. So for as long as you feel ill, keep asking for help. Never assume that's 'all there is' because there is always more that can be tried. And take pills if you need them - never let anyone ever make you feel that you shouldn't.

And good luck!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
      Heka, just want to say that you've done the right thing seeking out someone to talk to. There are all kinds of coping strategies that can be suggested and they're often things we've never thought of ourselves. Sometimes strategies like this are all that a person needs - sometimes not - either way, you've taken the first step.

Speaking of EAPs, I just saw my first EAP counsellor today. It's interesting that you and I seem to be on a similar wavelength at the moment, Heka. The EAP counsellor I saw also gave me coping strategies - I've been in counselling before and such things just never seem to work for me. Hopefully this time there will be a different outcome.

Regarding pills - they can be a godsend. Good luck.
      So many similarities atm :P

Saw the other, GP referral counsellor today. Gave me things to think about. Apparently im obsessed with time...

And I think the pills could also be placebonic (word?). But I don't care. Ive had a better week so far. Id like to keep it that way.

Thanks for all your support guys. Sorry im not replying to you all properly /forumrunner ugh
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        And I think the pills could also be placebonic (word?). But I don't care. Ive had a better week so far. Id like to keep it that way.

*hugs*

Keep in mind too, depending on what you are taking, it may take a few weeks for the full effects of the meds to kick in...so don't be discouraged too early if it seems like its not helping enough.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Hang on in there, Heka, it WILL get better. You're doing the right things, you've sought help in good time, and you've loads of friends here who are willing you to get better. Welsh cwtches and brightest blessings, Tylluan X
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            Hang on in there, Heka, it WILL get better. You're doing the right things, you've sought help in good time, and you've loads of friends here who are willing you to get better. Welsh cwtches and brightest blessings, Tylluan X
            I agree with you! It will get better, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

*hugs*

Keep in mind too, depending on what you are taking, it may take a few weeks for the full effects of the meds to kick in...so don't be discouraged too early if it seems like its not helping enough.
              I've had a good week so far, so im remaining optimistic. Ive got to book an appointment to get an actual script, cos this was just a sample pack, but so far so good

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

All you need to challenge your negative thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by marclewis View Post
                  Sure, sounds hell easy! I'll just get up out of this fetal position on the couch, where I've been for the past 2 hours because I hate my job, my house is a mess and I have no energy and simply "challenge my negative thinking".

Well that just fixed all my problems.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                  Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I find this attitude far too common amongst people and, frankly, I resent the hell out of it. It's insulting to those of us who have a legitimate mental illness and those of us who have tried desperately to "challenge our negative thinking". If it were so easy to just snap out of it, there would be no need for medication.

Therapists can help us to challenge negative thinking and, in cases where depression may be linked to being in a rut or strictly due to an environmental/situational stressor, then challenging negative thinking can be useful. However, that phrase just randomly thrown into this thread as a generalisation is unnecessary and patronizing.

Comment

Now come on now. Let's turn that frown upside down!
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Aikadon View Post
                        I... suffer from bipolarity. I haven't been diagnosed, so perhaps i shouldn't use the term, but mmy mood tend to be instable.
                        I want to be happy, and i'm really trying, but good lord it's difficult. I'd appreciate it if you guys could share some of your spiritual practices on how to deal with depressive feelings, or just getting out of the blue in general. Spells, rituals, prayer, etc.

Thanks, and blessed be.
                        Visit a professional.

...and certainly (for DAMN-SURE) don't seek a magical/wistful solution.

You might be bi-polar, but you should wait for psychological diagnosis.

Please see a professional before you self-diagnose.
                        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                          Visit a professional.

...and certainly (for DAMN-SURE) don't seek a magical/wistful solution.

You might be bi-polar, but you should wait for psychological diagnosis.

Please see a professional before you self-diagnose.

Seconded. x10...

While spiritual practices can be helpful for some people, they should never be in place of going to see a professional or using medication, but in addition to.

I don't suffer from depression, and I know this is the one of the most useless and ignorant pieces of advice out there.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                            Sure, sounds hell easy! I'll just get up out of this fetal position on the couch, where I've been for the past 2 hours because I hate my job, my house is a mess and I have no energy and simply "challenge my negative thinking".

Well that just fixed all my problems.
                            Some people are not capable of compassion for anything outside their realm of personal experience. If you didn't feel so sh** it would probably be easier to forgive that limitation, so don't if you don't want to. But at least know that the limitation is not yours, but theirs -- and leave them to grow up all on their own. I wish for you peace of mind ... and a good night's sleep.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post

Some people are not capable of compassion for anything outside their realm of personal experience. If you didn't feel so sh** it would probably be easier to forgive that limitation, so don't if you don't want to. But at least know that the limitation is not yours, but theirs -- and leave them to grow up all on their own. I wish for you peace of mind ... and a good night's sleep.
                              Cheers nbdy.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

This is why I am on a psychiatric forum for this sort of thing...you get less ignorant answers
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X