This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The great e-cig ban begins

Yeah I think it sort of got derailed by the fact that what is acceptable and what you can and can't do differs from place to place. Let's get it back on topic. It's not even about smoking...it's about e-cigs and whether or not THOSE should be banned.

This is my fault. Sorry :/

Comment

Ok, bringing it back to the ecig topic - as though my opinion weren't perfectly clear by now

Ecigs should not be banned (legislatively) any more than cigarettes should be banned (legislatively). Obviously I feel that the business owner should have the decisionmaking power in both scenarios.

That being said, since regular cigarettes are already banned pretty much everywhere I don't see any reason in the world why they would allow ecigs.

Comment

I worked as a security guard at a hospital in Wilmington DE, we did not allow smoking in rooms. People do not care that there is oxygen, and explosion risks and fire alarms and sick people, people that wanna smoke, wanna bloody smoke. We did not allow e-cigs either, we didn't wanna nitpick, or feel like making sure thats what it was and crapola. The guy watching the camera saw a cigarette we made em get rid of it.... people inevitably complained, but it is what it is, NO smoking on the property, it was a pain to enforce that too, because people think that walking down sidewalk (that the hospital maintains BTW) they are on public property, they are not, they need to be a block down or standing in the street...

Legislature supported our stance (In Delaware smoking must be at least 50 feet from entrances to public buildings and not indoors in public buildings or restaurants.) but legislature did not make our lives easier. So I dunno how much it matters.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          Unless you live in a lawless society, there are always boundaries.
          Yep. But if you have boundaries strictly for the purpose of having boundaries, you may as well be a puritan.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
          Ok, bringing it back to the ecig topic - as though my opinion weren't perfectly clear by now

Ecigs should not be banned (legislatively) any more than cigarettes should be banned (legislatively). Obviously I feel that the business owner should have the decisionmaking power in both scenarios.

That being said, since regular cigarettes are already banned pretty much everywhere I don't see any reason in the world why they would allow ecigs.
          Because there is no actual evidence that they have any ill effects on anyone else.

Comment

A big part of it, atleast in public spaces and a lesser extent private spaces as well..is willful negligence/providing an environment that will knowingly cause harm..While I agree, the e-cigarettes are way better then traditional cigarettes by far..it is still putting out harmful chemicals.. Often businesses don't want to deal with those kinds of ramifications as they could easily face criminal charges and suits so the reaction is to ban.. as someone who has issues with asthma and is allergic to smoke I'm all for it..but while I disagree with poisoning your body it is your own choice within the confines of your own home.

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post
              If polypropylene glycol had serious risks, we'd know about it from 30+ years of rescue inhalers.
              Actually, propylene glycol is known to be a respiratory and eye irritant for some people. Also, it is known to cause a number of serious heath problems in children that are overexposed via IV medications. Toxicity is a function of dose, not presence. Compared to a ecig being use in place of a regular cig (for, say, a pack or pack and a half a day smoker), the propylene glycol in an inhaler dose (2 puffs) is negligable. All I'm saying is that there isn't enough data to make a conclusion.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by okoserce View Post
                it is still putting out harmful chemicals..
                That remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post
                  That remains to be seen.
                  As Thal* pointed out in the post above yours, the chemicals used can be dangerous in sufficient amount. The question is whether or not they are in sufficient quantity to be a threat.

*Thal has a medical background among other things, hence why I'm taking her post at face value on this until compelling evidence to the contrary is presented.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    As Thal* pointed out in the post above yours, the chemicals used can be dangerous in sufficient amount. The question is whether or not they are in sufficient quantity to be a threat.

*Thal has a medical background among other things, hence why I'm taking her post at face value on this until compelling evidence to the contrary is presented.
                    I doubt they are a global threat or anything. Vaping outdoors or a couple people in a sizable place with good ventilation is probably fine over the long term. But...the hubby using his ecig in the car or the apartment gives me an asthma attack. I am obviously one of those people with a respiratory sensitivity. Pack a bunch of people into a bar where enough of them are vaping, and someone is likely to have a problem...or on public transit...or another close and closed in shared space. I can't do fog machines anymore for this reason either (which is one of the reasons we know there are people with problems reactions)...

Also, breathing mineral oil mist isn't all that good over a particular amount either. I don't remember the standard for it off the top of my head, but its one of the things we test for in the fire trainer, to make sure the instructors aren't being over exposed. And (if I remember correctly, though I don't know which ones off the top of my head) some glycols, when heated, degrade into some nasty things (like formaldehyde).
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Et tu

"Propylene glycol is known to be used as a carrier liquid in electronic cigarettes. Upon use of the electronic cigarettes, an artificial smoke is generated among others by fine droplets or mist of propylene glycol. While propylene glycol is a very safe compound, the producers of propylene glycol and members of Cefic’s PO/PG sector group do not support the use of propylene glycol in electronic cigarettes, nor in artificial (theatrical) fogs due to possible effects on the eye, nose, throat, and respiratory tract membranes as well as the absence of information on potential long term effects from prolonged inhalation of (fine) droplets of propylene glycol." Source

Ban 'em.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

The "smoke" from e-cigs is mainly an effect for the smoker,they would function fine without that effect. I guess it allows the smoker to feel like they are smoking a real cig. I am not scientific enough to be absolutely sure,but from my own personal use of e-cigs.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          The "smoke" from e-cigs is mainly an effect for the smoker,they would function fine without that effect. I guess it allows the smoker to feel like they are smoking a real cig. I am not scientific enough to be absolutely sure,but from my own personal use of e-cigs.
                          While you're probably correct, if you can see it floating in the air, you can breath it. I completely understand people who are apprehensive about the potential side-effects.

Comment

Ban on e-cigs in Albany NY take effect today

The E-cig ban is touring America! Coming to perform at a city near you!

Talk all you want. It's coming.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

1. Yeah, I suppose if you hooked up an air compressor to one of these things, you could generate a dangerous level. Of course, your lungs would pop like balloons before that.

2. I'm going off of what my cardiologist told me. "Is it safe? We don't know. I don't have any reason to think it isn't. Is it better than smokes? Yes. Definitely."

And while I never had a problem not smoking in no-smoking areas, that's because there is plenty of evidence that second hand smoke IS harmful. When I have evidence that second hand e-cig vapors are harmful, I guess I'll do the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Ban on e-cigs in Albany NY take effect today

The E-cig ban is touring America! Coming to perform at a city near you!

Talk all you want. It's coming.
                              Fantastic. One less reason for people to stop using actual tobacco. RJ Reynolds will be thrilled.

Comment

The problem:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X