Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woman sues kid she ran over and killed.

Originally posted by IsisSekhemetRa View Post
    I'm telling you it's freaks like this that makes me wonder about society. She should be jailed. Why isn't she in jail. Here in the States we arrest people like that and let them live in the land of other freaks that can't abide by the law.
    Have to throw in my Canada defense here.

Unless you ready every detail of this case to see why she was acquitted, or if she even was. Please don't pull the "Here in the states, things are done the right way!" thing. She could have plead insanity, therefore making her incapable of forming a 'Mens Rea' or guilty mind. Or maybe the kids and her were at equal fault for negligence so they acquitted her.

At any rate neither of our systems are perfect, but they are some of the best on earth for what they do.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
      Have to throw in my Canada defense here.

Unless you ready every detail of this case to see why she was acquitted, or if she even was. Please don't pull the "Here in the states, things are done the right way!" thing. She could have plead insanity, therefore making her incapable of forming a 'Mens Rea' or guilty mind. Or maybe the kids and her were at equal fault for negligence so they acquitted her.

At any rate neither of our systems are perfect, but they are some of the best on earth for what they do.
      ^ This.

The US Justice system has enough f-ups to its name that beating on Canada without detail isn't a spectacularly good idea.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Actually,something like this happened to my younger sister. She was driving on New years eve(had NOT been drinking) when a guy stepped out from behind parked cars,and she ended up hitting him and he died. My Sister was exonerated because there was no way she could have done anything to avoid the incident. She did however end up seeing a shrink for many years trying to deal with what happened. The guy BTW was VERY drunk,and walked right into the street and got hit.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          Actually,something like this happened to my younger sister. She was driving on New years eve(had NOT been drinking) when a guy stepped out from behind parked cars,and she ended up hitting him and he died. My Sister was exonerated because there was no way she could have done anything to avoid the incident. She did however end up seeing a shrink for many years trying to deal with what happened. The guy BTW was VERY drunk,and walked right into the street and got hit.
          That's odd... here (Michigan), it's usually the driver who gets blamed on the theory that it is up to the driver to be "in control of the vehicle."

Not long ago and very nearby, a kid plowed out of a roadside ditch on a minibike, right in front of a car. The driver was sued for quite a bit...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

A few years ago we had a girl killed about 5 feet from a crosswalk, was hit by a cop. The cop was let off because she wasn't technically in the crosswalk (although on this particular street 5 feet is an insignificant difference). Generally speaking though, it's usually the driver that gets pinned to the wall, even if the pedestrian was at fault.

That being said, when a cop breaks the law the rulebook generally goes out the window...kind of like when the Gubmint does it.

Comment

I wonder what the outcome will be!

Does anybody know?

Comment

All 31 flavors of wrong aside, how do you sue a dead teen? I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) you can sue a minor and what is the point of suing a dead body?

You're pretty much beyond the law at that point.

Comment

People sue over some pretty strange things. This one just happens to be tragic as well. I'd prefer not to touch this one either, though, and for all the reasons that have already been stated about the media.

Comment

Working...
                  X