X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Pledge of Allegiance

Originally posted by okoserce View Post
    ..for all the hype about how much our modern generation being the worst thing that ever happened..as a whole they are generally much more tolerant and open to others...
    Er... not that I've seen. This younger generation is just as likely to vilify or demonize those with whom they disagree as has been every other generation since humans evolved a finger to point with.

They just aren't aware of it because they are so absolutely convinced that they are right that they can't imagine anybody disagreeing with them as being anything other than evil.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

JCAT

it would be good to label the first part sarcasm,cause you might get a knock on your door late at night by the powers that be.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm well aware of what Godwin's law is. This actually applies to the topic at hand, and isn't hyperbole. Godwin's Law doesn't apply every time someone references anyone that was a Nazi.

But that's fine - dismiss it or not. I'm over it.

Comment

Just as a little thing,I once got an invite from VFW to join that group,However you had to sign a paper saying you were Christian to be allowed to join. As you might imagine I did not join said group.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
            Good, dismiss the argument because of the source. Christ, I was just referencing where the quote originally came from.

Let's have some perspective, people.

My point was that brainwashing occurs and our brains allow it to happen. <shrug>
            I agree. But we do it to ourselves. You think all those beliefs you have are not somehow brainwashed into you?

*read that in Morpheus' voice. It works better.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I would agree that yes we all tend to be indoctrinated as children by the people that educate us. I think this has been true for a much longer time than just in our United States. Our parents effect us,our teachers also,and Nationalism is not something new in the world.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Regarding the Godwin issue, merely mentioning Nazis doesn't autokill threads or incur wrath of mods. It can, depending on context, draw additional attention. However, I'm already watching this thread and I don't claim to be particularly reserved with the trigger button. The thread isn't in any more danger now than before the mention of Goebels.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I personally find the pledge as worthless as most other patriotic nonsense. I hold no loyalty to this country and feel no need to make pledges to it. It is rather indoctrinating and the nationalist attitude that we have kind of freaks me out.

Also, the VFW really makes you sign Christian pledges? I was thinking of joining for the dollar beers but screw that.

Comment

Yeh,that really caught me by surprise. I had no idea that that they could even do that.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Being outside the US, I have to say that I am completely gobsmacked by this kind of thing. I thought it was just in films etc. But it really exists? I mean you got rid of the British, that should have taught you all something important, surely?

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                        I mean you got rid of the British, that should have taught you all something important, surely?
                        History doesn't hold the same kind of importance in America, we just don't really care about anything that happened before we were born. The revolutionary war? My generation just barely cares about the Cold War.
                        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                          History doesn't hold the same kind of importance in America, we just don't really care about anything that happened before we were born. The revolutionary war? My generation just barely cares about the Cold War.
                          I never understood that. I thought it was just geography that was difficult to grasp on account of the US (and the whole of the americas, come to that) being so big. Plus the fact that most of the US all speak English. I mean, travel a thousand miles east of the UK and you have to deal with loads of different languages!

But history... I think it has a few problems no matter where we happen to live...
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post

Also, the VFW really makes you sign Christian pledges? I was thinking of joining for the dollar beers but screw that.
                            Since when?

The hubby and I belong to the VFW. Didn't have to do that.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Then they must have changed,this was back in the 80's. It is possible it was only the local one there in the bay area.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                                Then they must have changed,this was back in the 80's. It is possible it was only the local one there in the bay area.
                                I was going to say that I just looked it up...apparently its something they used to do. Some places apparently still have the forms mostly because they are still using the old forms, but its against their official policy.
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X