X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanieMarie
    replied
    Re: The NSA has a picture of you

Ugh. I'm not so concerned about myself...I purposely gave up my total privacy years ago, because a lot of what I wanted to do in the past (marketing) involved a web presence and in my current line, it definitely doesn't hurt. Still, I think it should be a choice. I chose to put myself all over the Internet for all to see. A lot of people want to use the Internet but value their privacy and that choice should be respected.

Leave a comment:

• iflewoverthecuckoosnest
    replied

George Orwell had his head screwed on straight, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    I am old enough to remember before all this "spying" on the people,but even in the way back,you still left tracks in your life. Being in the service meant they have your fingerprints,not to mention your picture. Getting a credit card exposed a lot of your personal data....and it goes on and on....You are photographed when you are born,and they take your footprint(maybe fingerprints now days).

I believe there is no such thing as privacy or running below the grid anymore for anyone.

Where the tech is now is anyone's guess,and what you know is most likely 20 years old(the stealth bomber was build back in the 70's,and we know only now that it IS).

So good luck remaining "Outside" the main stream,it is all around you always.
    It's true that people have left paper trails ever since the turn of the century (prior to that, you could move to a different state, or even town, and create a whole new identity, just by saying you were someone else), but, in the past, it was always so labor intensive to correlate the data that it wasn't worthwhile to do it, unless a specific need to do so arose.

Now, data can be correlated by pushing a button, and massive databases don't take much room (you can store close to 700,000 text pages in one gigabyte), and it can be searched very, very quickly.

It's the ease with which information can be correlated, stored, and accessed that makes it so creepy.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

I am old enough to remember before all this "spying" on the people,but even in the way back,you still left tracks in your life. Being in the service meant they have your fingerprints,not to mention your picture. Getting a credit card exposed a lot of your personal data....and it goes on and on....You are photographed when you are born,and they take your footprint(maybe fingerprints now days).

I believe there is no such thing as privacy or running below the grid anymore for anyone.

Where the tech is now is anyone's guess,and what you know is most likely 20 years old(the stealth bomber was build back in the 70's,and we know only now that it IS).

So good luck remaining "Outside" the main stream,it is all around you always.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

They'll wake up and realize it's a problem right after it's too late.

That's humanity's standard operating procedure, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Roknrol
    replied

As if we needed yet another reason to not put all of our personal shit in one place.

Honestly, I've more or less stopped harping on the FB thing because nobody seems inclined to listen. I'll make it simple for everyone.

I have been harping on the privacy/security thing for well over 3 years. A few months ago my wife (my friggen WIFE) said to me, "That's ok, I don't have my address in Facebook, so they don't know where I am."
    I said, "Is your address in Google? How about eBay, or Amazon, or Design Tuscano?"
    She said, "Yeah, but they can't match that up to my facebook information...can they?"

The simple fact is: All it takes is 3 points of data to determine that someone is YOU. Specifically YOU. They know where you live, they know how to find you, and unless you're under 18 you have committed enough felonies already to get locked up in prison for the rest of your life.

You do not need to make it impossible for them to track you in order to have a reasonable chance of living your life unmolested...but for shit's sake, at least make it a little harder for them.

So the NSA is tracking faces...and phone calls, and emails. And your money (who you pay, when you pay, how you pay, etc). They know where you live and where you work. They know your friends. They know your family. They know how you've voted (probably).

How long will it be before the general public wakes up and realizes this is a problem?

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    started a topic The NSA has a picture of you

The NSA has a picture of you

Well, it now appears that our beloved National Security Agency is now collecting our photos from online sources, much like pedophiles collect pictures of sub-teenage children from Facebook.

Always wear a fake Duck Dynasty beard when you take selfies.

N.S.A. Collecting Millions of Faces From Web Images
Working...
X