• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B. de Corbin
    replied
    Re: The NSA has a picture of you

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
    Just kidding...the NSA doesn't rely on ISPs (that's the cops and the Feds)...NSA copies all of their own traffic...Canadians are probably still screwed.
    Project Prism.

Leave a comment:

• Roknrol
    replied

Originally posted by Wonder View Post
    A small victory on privacy in Canada by a ruling of the Supreme Court: Internet providers no longer have the right to provide users indentities to authorities without a warrant.

For more on this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/in...ourt-1.2673823
    Yeah, saw that on Slashdot yesterday...at least our northern Neighbors are retaining some of their privacy....of course, now the NSA has more people available for spying closer to home...

Just kidding...the NSA doesn't rely on ISPs (that's the cops and the Feds)...NSA copies all of their own traffic...Canadians are probably still screwed.

Leave a comment:

• Wonder
    replied

A great victory on privacy in Canada by a ruling of the Supreme Court: Internet providers no longer have the right to provide user indentities to authorities without a warrant.

For more on this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/in...ourt-1.2673823

Leave a comment:

• midgnostic
    Guest replied

BAM! Wall of text. Sorry....I ranted
    Not at all. I will take some time to read it shortly

Leave a comment:

• Hawkfeathers
    replied

I have a parrot, therefore very good use for my newspaper!

Leave a comment:

• Roknrol
    replied

Originally posted by midgnostic View Post
    I wonder if the NSA could be persuaded to protect us from hackers:
    Right off the bat, I think this is a bad idea.

Originally posted by midgnostic View Post
    With more and more activity confined to the internet, access to personal correspondence and browsing habits allows hackers intimate knowledge of their targets. Although the hacker’s action may be limited to just one of sabotage, misrepresentation, voyeurism, intimidation or larceny, the victim’s anticipation of the potential threat – conceivably all listed offences in combination – reinforces the violence of the act.
    We are as secure as we choose to be unless our job happens to be one which relies on us releasing our own personal data. If you want to protect yourself from hackers, keep strong passwords (do NOT change them frequently, but also do NOT write them down or give them to *anyone*, including people you trust), don't leave your computer on when you're not at it, encryption helps, and AFAIC the best weapon that we have against our information getting out is our right to choose what companies we want to do business with. Is it "inconvenient" for me to not use Facebook? Sometimes. But it's far less inconvenient than being stalked (as you point out). Why does my sister, 600 miles away, need to know that I'm on the bus?

I did get sucked into FB for quite some time...I didn't buy into the "they're selling your data" thing, at least, not on the level that I understand it now. Frankly, privacy is one of my biggest issues right now. None of the below "anger" or whatever is directed at you in the least - it is all reserved for those that actively strive for the current model, which is quite frankly, broken. Ish. Just enjoy the rant

The simple fact is that it IS possible for people to build secure websites that don't sell your information. It is possible to protect your site from 90% of the malicious hackers out there, just by following some basic guidelines - something that IT guys (myself included) were extremely lazy about fixing because...well...we're the only ones that understand it. Hell, PF is just as secure as Facebook, and I guarantee that the Admins aren't selling your data anywhere. The only real difference between here and there are the bells and whistles...but you know, if just one single company (or dozens) were to put together a package like that, and the sheeple were willing to make a change (good Gods, do you remember how much of a clusterfuck it was when people left MySpace? ), they would have all of the funding they need without advertising. People *do* donate money to help out. I know, I'm one of them. They could get a couple of specific sponsers to pay advertising even (which is the way that it works in most forms of media). The Internet decided to adopt the newsprint model, which essentially reduces the costs to advertise to almost nothing, the usefulness of the advertising at far less than that, and the annoyance factor several grades beyond what any normal person should be expected to tolerate. You know, the only profitable part of most daily newspapers is in their Sunday edition - the one with all of the ads. Unless you clip coupons, I'm willing to bet that that entire 3 lbs of paper goes straight into the trash. And that's the profitable part.

Meanwhile, in areas like television (pre-Tivo), online advertising has always had it's own draw. Hell, one of the biggest moneymakers in the US every year are the commercials played during the Superbowl. The market and the competition has led to better advertising, not worse. Look anywhere on the 'net and tell me the last time you were entertained by a non-television or non-radio commercial.

I am deviating far from our starting point - my point here, is that the model we're using now, the one that drives the costs down to nothing, absolutely kills sites like PF, where the Owners and the few kind volunteers donate time and money, outside of their real lives. It kills them because when sites like Facebook are getting billions of hits, your price per click drops to $0.000000001. Per click. You can't pay server costs with that.

But these models are pushed by the advertising agencies, the salesmen, the corporate executives and the shareholders of people who already have too much goddamned money. You know, the people we all "trust".

Now, this is all in regards to private hackers - they will still try to get your credit card information, but the simple solution to that is to not give your credit card information to people you don't trust. Do you know more credit card fraud is perpetrated per year with the physical card than is perpetrated through the internet? You're more at risk by going to McDonalds than you are going to eBay. Of course, there are "bad" sites out there too - but there are also "bad" stores.

But these "hackers", as a general rule, don't give a shit about you. Oh, yeah, they'll try to extort money by installing viruses - but those are blind attacks. Literally flinging poo and charging a removal fee. They aren't after YOU...they're after *anyone*. Those aren't the people you need to be worried about.

The people YOU should be worried about are the people that our Constitution is supposed to protect us from: The Government. Do you know why we have a place like Gitmo and why the NSA is allowed to copy every single bit of electronic communication you participate in? It's because we asked the United States Government to protect us from the terrorist threat. Their response to us asking for better defense of our borders (including internal - it was an interstate flight) is a gross violation of our privacy and at fundamental odds with the various oaths and promises that we hired them to keep.

Some of the best tools that we had to protect our privacy were strongarmed into literally opening holes in otherwise secure software so that the US Government could snoop. This is not bullshit. They may have intended it to be for spying on the Chinese, but they are using it to spy on everyone, including the people sworn to protect us.

No. I don't think that asking the Government to protect us is a good idea. I think telling the Government, firmly and without compromise, that our individual Rights trump their curiosity. If you are unable to protect us without violating the Constitution, then shut down the f'ing programs and refund my tax money. Or better yet, put it toward education, or Tort reform, or prison reform, or environmental reform, or christ, mortgage reform.

But then again, I'm a realist - which is why I've started pulling back from the Internet.

Google cannot track me specifically, because I anatomize my access whenever possible, etc etc etc. And I have withdrawn from all of those areas that I just don't feel like learning how to deal with - like Facebook. Having to go in and double check my security settings every week, with multiple options having changed, been removed, or added, and reset, and having them in three different places, and learning that this was all done intentionally, so that you'd screw it up. makes me want to gag. It's fucking disgusting money-grubbing. And it's dishonest. So I don't participate. Now, granted, I have the technical acumen and background to do a lot of it myself, and that helps considerably. I realize that most end users don't even know where to begin looking to even find out what they need to be concerned about. Everything sounds like fearmongerging - and it is. Some of us (myself included) feel like we're on the cusp of losing the last bit of what used to make this country Great. That has been sold to the highest bidder for something like 30 Trillion dollars of debt.

No, everything the Government does, they fuck up. In my opinion? I think we should learn how to live with each other, and dissolve as much of the Government as humanly possible. They have earned less power, not more, and that's what they should get.

- - - Updated - - -

BAM! Wall of text. Sorry....I ranted

Leave a comment:

• midgnostic
    Guest replied

I wonder if the NSA could be persuaded to protect us from hackers:

With more and more activity confined to the internet, access to personal correspondence and browsing habits allows hackers intimate knowledge of their targets. Although the hacker’s action may be limited to just one of sabotage, misrepresentation, voyeurism, intimidation or larceny, the victim’s anticipation of the potential threat – conceivably all listed offences in combination – reinforces the violence of the act.

It can be assumed from the higher risk of detection and the higher risk of serious recriminations that burglars are motivated by a greater degree of necessity than hackers and so have less opportunity for moral choice, yet whereas in many places burglars can be lawfully subjected to lethal summary justice, hacking is often considered a petty offence or even a laudable one where the effect is comic or flattering to popular prejudice.

Leave a comment:

• Hawkfeathers
    replied

I remember thinking, in my 30's and 40's, that it was hard to try & find old girlfriends because if they had married, and changed their names, I'd get nowhere. But now, I've found a few by searching their parents names. Obituaries always say "survived by a daughter, Jane Doe, of Anytown, State. So that's another thing to consider - if you are gonna be listed anywhere, make sure you control that listing.

Leave a comment:

• Wonder
    replied

Well yeah, and when they're able to combine that with the mountains of data they get from your car and your cell phone, you end up having your life being pretty much an open book for anyone that might bother to look.
    That's the dark side of living in a technological world. The NSA obviously have had way too much slack to do as they wish, especially after 9/11 but even so your data can also be at risk from pirates and foreign hackers working for unknown governements. That's a risk we all share by trusting the State as well as businesses with the storage of our personal informations online.

For more on this: http://www.cityam.com/article/140072...-cyber-attacks

I agree with you - if you access the internet the way that most people do. I have not - yet - completed my "conversion" to full on security, but I've been making headway. I've eliminated nearly all of my social media accounts and have gotten rid of the worst offenders. Everything is run with encryption, which granted isn't terribly secure these days either, but every pain in the ass is one hiccup that'll make me less worth it. Or it'll make me a target, and they maybe can't spy on you so much. There's more to follow, of course - it's an ever-changing work in progress, and it IS a lot of work. But if your privacy is important, you'll take what steps you feel are necessary. Of course, I look forward to retirement when I don't have an IT job and can pull back a little more...20 years of obsession is a little long.
    As for myself I like social media. I think they are great tools. I've had very interesting conversations on various topics even with strangers too. I consider my privacy to be very important but I don't see the point to close my accounts on that sole basis. One has to accept the fact that social media have never been about ''total privacy'' and so should act accordingly. The thing is to use them wisely, projecting an image of you that you want people to see. Unfortunately many users are not careful enough, but these usually tend to have the same lack of judgement online as in real life.
    Last edited by Wonder; 12 Jun 2014, 14:24.

Leave a comment:

• Roknrol
    replied

Might be you are right though I don't live in the United States. At any rate, an old driver license picture doesn't say much about you.

A picture in itself means nothing. But those posting all kinds of pictures of themsleves in various (awkward) situations should be more careful. Not only do spy agencies might possibly build some ''profile'' about you but it's also recorded in the deep archive of Facebook and could be retrived at any time.
    Well yeah, and when they're able to combine that with the mountains of data they get from your car and your cell phone, you end up having your life being pretty much an open book for anyone that might bother to look.

You are hadly anonymous online these days. Your IP adress follows you everywhere and that can lead any spy agencies to your Internet provider and your personal informations. I consider the Internet as a public place, like a giant park. People might not know you but that doesn't mean you are truly ''anonymous''.
    I agree with you - if you access the internet the way that most people do. I have not - yet - completed my "conversion" to full on security, but I've been making headway. I've eliminated nearly all of my social media accounts and have gotten rid of the worst offenders. Everything is run with encryption, which granted isn't terribly secure these days either, but every pain in the ass is one hiccup that'll make me less worth it. Or it'll make me a target, and they maybe can't spy on you so much. There's more to follow, of course - it's an ever-changing work in progress, and it IS a lot of work. But if your privacy is important, you'll take what steps you feel are necessary. Of course, I look forward to retirement when I don't have an IT job and can pull back a little more...20 years of obsession is a little long.

Leave a comment:

• Wonder
    replied

Got a drivers license or literally any ID that requires a picture? Bet it's been emailed or stored in the "cloud". Just saying.

Might be you are right though I don't live in the United States. At any rate, an old driver license picture doesn't say much about you.

A picture in itself means nothing. But those posting all kinds of pictures of themsleves in various (awkward) situations should be more careful. Not only do spy agencies might possibly build some ''profile'' about you but it's also recorded in the deep archive of Facebook and could be retrived at any time.

You are absolutely correct. That doesn't mean we don't have a right (or obligation) to be pissed off about it
    You are hadly anonymous online these days. Your IP adress follows you everywhere and that can lead any spy agencies to your Internet provider and your personal informations. I consider the Internet as a public place, like a giant park. People might not know you but that doesn't mean you are truly ''anonymous''.
    Last edited by Wonder; 12 Jun 2014, 12:32.

Leave a comment:

• Roknrol
    replied

Well I never put pictures of me on my social media accounts thus far so that's not really a concern for me. Obviously when you display a picture of yourself on the Internet anyone could grab it and saved it on a harddrive may it be the NSA or not.
    Got a drivers license or literally any ID that requires a picture? Bet it's been emailed or stored in the "cloud". Just saying.

If you are unbothered by this possibility than you couldn't care less.. Anyway, with all these cellphones and smartphones with built-in cameras one might even take a picture of you unaware and you wouldn't even know about it.. That's one side of living in a technological world.
    You are absolutely correct. That doesn't mean we don't have a right (or obligation) to be pissed off about it

Leave a comment:

• Wonder
    replied

Well I never put pictures of me on my social media accounts thus far so that's not really a concern for me. Obviously when you display a picture of yourself on the Internet anyone could grab it and saved it on a harddrive may it be the NSA or not.

If you are unbothered by this possibility than you couldn't care less.. Anyway, with all these cellphones and smartphones with built-in cameras one might even take a picture of you unaware and you wouldn't even know about it.. That's one side of living in a technological world.
    Last edited by Wonder; 12 Jun 2014, 10:24.

Leave a comment:

• Luce
    replied

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Well, it now appears that our beloved National Security Agency is now collecting our photos from online sources, much like pedophiles collect pictures of sub-teenage children from Facebook.

Always wear a fake Duck Dynasty beard when you take selfies.

N.S.A. Collecting Millions of Faces From Web Images
    This pisses me off. It doesn't scare me, but it pisses me off.

Leave a comment:

• warwulf
    replied

drivecrypt hard drive encryption: securestar
    Proton Mail-anonymous IP web serfing: proton mail dot ch

And don't forget about Google which owns G Mail and Hotmail. ALL emails and texts are STORED and property of Google.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X