Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

[quote author=Almost_lost link=topic=758.msg24308#msg24308 date=1293102240]

from what i can tell Graham crackers arent like the digestive biscuits we have here, like Tylluan said, theyre more like Krackawheat
    [/quote]

Except, Graham Crackers are SWEET, and you'd never eat them with cheese. You use them on cheesecakes as the crust (when crumbled) or with marshmallows and melted chocolate to make S'mores.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg24331#msg24331 date=1293117276]
      Except, Graham Crackers are SWEET, and you'd never eat them with cheese. You use them on cheesecakes as the crust (when crumbled) or with marshmallows and melted chocolate to make S'mores.
      [/quote]

Hum, it said on the tinterweb somewhere that graham crackers were salty.. in that case, they probably are like digestive biscuits. Theyre what we use for cheesecake bases.

Comment

[quote author=Almost_lost link=topic=758.msg24338#msg24338 date=1293120288]
        Hum, it said on the tinterweb somewhere that graham crackers were salty.. in that case, they probably are like digestive biscuits. Theyre what we use for cheesecake bases.
        [/quote]

I've bought them in the UK...they're the exact same thing.

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=758.msg24339#msg24339 date=1293120440]
          I've bought them in the UK...they're the exact same thing.
          [/quote]

Yay! ...what about triscuits? Is there a Europe/UK equivalent?

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg24341#msg24341 date=1293120817]
            Yay! ...what about triscuits? Is there a Europe/UK equivalent?
            [/quote]

Are they like Ryvita?

Comment

[quote author=Almost_lost link=topic=758.msg24343#msg24343 date=1293121132]
              Are they like Ryvita?
              [/quote]

Nope.

And Katee we don't have them here (we don't have graham crackers in Germany either) but I haven't looked in the UK...not a huge triscuits fan.

Comment

All this talk about breads, cookies, biscuits has me thinking of cocoa ... With marshmallows ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=758.msg24352#msg24352 date=1293123817]
                  Nope.

And Katee we don't have them here (we don't have graham crackers in Germany either) but I haven't looked in the UK...not a huge triscuits fan.
                  [/quote]

Aww, boo. They will be my most missed of food items when I move to Europe.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg24494#msg24494 date=1293153912]
                    [/quote]

It must be really difficult to move somewhere and then find you cannot get food items you would take for granted at home.

It's like Marmite - some places sell Vegemite and claim it's the same thing but it's not. There is nothing anywhere, that tastes quite like Marmite.
                    'Oh my god, you've eaten half a teaspoonful???? Are you sure you're okay? Shall I call a doctor??'
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg24494#msg24494 date=1293153912]
                      [/quote]

Make people mail them to you. I make people mail me all sorts of stuff (ibuprofen, because it's expensive in Germany...you wont have this problem in the UK because they're even cheaper there than Canada...US Vogue, which we also have but costs 12 Euro, etc). And triscuits are light!
                      Or if anyone is going to North America get them to bring you a couple of boxes. You'll manage!

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=758.msg24604#msg24604 date=1293183465]
                        Make people mail them to you. I make people mail me all sorts of stuff (ibuprofen, because it's expensive in Germany...you wont have this problem in the UK because they're even cheaper there than Canada...US Vogue, which we also have but costs 12 Euro, etc). And triscuits are light!
                        Or if anyone is going to North America get them to bring you a couple of boxes. You'll manage!
                        [/quote] this is what i'd do if i moved away, even from sheffield. As for ibuprofen its like 16p for a box here.

Comment

[quote author=Almost_lost link=topic=758.msg24611#msg24611 date=1293186202]
                          this is what i'd do if i moved away, even from sheffield. As for ibuprofen its like 16p for a box here.
                          [/quote]

It's about $3.50 for a bottle of 100 no name ones in Canada, which is more expensive, but I prefer it coming in bottles. Blister packs annoy me (what a waste of plastic!!!!!!!)

It costs 5 Euro minimum for a blister pack of 20 here, and that's the generic brand price. I NEVER buy it in Germany because that's ridiculous.

Comment

[quote author=Almost_lost link=topic=758.msg24611#msg24611 date=1293186202]
                            this is what i'd do if i moved away, even from sheffield. As for ibuprofen its like 16p for a box here.
                            [/quote]

Wow, I buy bottles of the extra strength gel cap stuff - and I pay close to $10 for them...

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg24677#msg24677 date=1293211578]
                              Wow, I buy bottles of the extra strength gel cap stuff - and I pay close to $10 for them...
                              [/quote]

You can get no name gel caps that are exactly the same for way cheaper.

Comment

If you can, buy your over-the-counter (non-prescription) drugs from an outlet instead of the chemist (pharmacy) ... Buying in bulk is sooooooooo much less expensive ... I just love Payless, Walmart and Costco ...
                                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                                X