Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

As far as demonyms for US citizens go there's Columbian, and Usonian, and my favourite, Yankee. I don't see those going into common, or in the case of the last official, use any time soon.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Do you have nicknames for people from various parts of the US/Canada?

I mean the Welsh are sometimes referred to as Taffies by the English (and by others....) but in Wales we are a little more precise. For example, people from North Wales are often referred to as Gogs. And people from the valleys as Sionis (pronounced Shunnies).
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

In Canada people from Newfoundland are called Newfies. I have a friend who calls people from Manitoba "Tobins", but I'm not sure if that's actually a thing or if she just made it up. I know a lot of people who call people from Alberta "Bertans", and it's usually used when they're complaining about their driving. As in "Those damn Bertans don't know how to drive on curvy roads!"

Comment

Definately, some groups of southerners get hick, hillbilly, redneck. These terms don't refer to all southerners, but many tend to get lumped together within them. There are others but my brain is drawing a blank at this moment...
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Does anyone outside the UK ever use the word 'stroppy'? It means awkward, as in 'a fully paid up member of the awkward brigade.' (At least, it does in my bit of the UK)

Comment

Coming into this conversation a bit late (it's only 34 pages after all...) but anyone thought to include Australian English? Cos we're fucking mental.
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                Does anyone outside the UK ever use the word 'stroppy'? It means awkward, as in 'a fully paid up member of the awkward brigade.' (At least, it does in my bit of the UK)
                the welsh really do have their own language lol, stroppy or strop, up my end means, like a tantrum, just less severe, like adults dont have tantrums where they cry and scream and throw things, like a child does, they "go in a strop" where they are moody and sullen

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
                  It annoys me so much when U.S. and other countries refer to people who live in the U.S. as Americans. There needs to be a new title for those who live in the United States. Calling someone American should mean anyone who lives in North and South America, just like European means anyone living in Europe. We don't call the British "Europeans" and then say that the Irish are just Irish. If you want to get extremely literal, the title American SHOULD be used for a Canadian, A Mexican, and a Brazilian... All those different countries that are a part of North and South America. Not just the U.S.
                  I don't disagree with this at all, that's why I was curious who people outside the Americas view the word.

Most of the nicknames I can think of for my neighboring countries are somehow or another racist or otherwise derogatory and I mostly choose to ignore them. I think quite a few US citizens don't like Yankee because they associate it with some sort of sexual innuendo and/or believe it is used in a derogatory manner. Of course there's also the baseball team, based in New York, and I have heard other US ppl refer to East Coast residents, specifically, as Yankees as well due to that.
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I don't know about using American for Canadians. I've heard that come from a few Germans, and it makes sense, because as North Americans, we -are- Americans. It just has too many connotations with the US though. "North American" is usually fine, because that's a continent, but since most of the world uses "American" for "US Citizen", it just doesn't work for us. I don't really mind if people confuse me for an American, but I like having my distinctive Canadian identity. And people like me aside, I know a ton of Canadians who would go mental if everyone started referring to them as Americans lol.

Also, North and South America are considered two separate continents. Lumping them together would sort of be like calling Europeans "Eurasians." It's technically true, but no one would say that because it's weird.

Also, no one else really gets called by their continent. I know North Americans do it a lot with Europeans, but no one else does. You're not "European"...You're "German" or "French" or whatever.

Comment

Most nicknames for things are stereotypical and derogatory.

Even in AUSLAN (Australian sign language) the sign for India is poking yourself between the eyes.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                      Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Is it? Almost the same in ASL - poke yourself between the eyes with your thumb and twist. I wonder how else AUSLAN in similar... *prowls away to Google a new topic*

Comment

Same with the thumb and all, except no twist. I think that one has more to do with the fact that it's the Indian sign for it? Dunno...

AUSLAN is fun I'm really enjoying doing it.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Going back a few posts... people from Cardiff (capital of Wales) used to be called The Bristol Channel Yanks because they spoke with a typically flat 'a'.... so you got Caaaaardiff, paaaark, daaaark etc. If I remember rightly, there's a bit in the first Jaws film where Roy Scheider mentions the difference in accents between parts of the US and the flat 'aa' gets a mention.

Of course, Cardiff has become a bit gentrified in the past twenty odd years, so you don't hear that term (or the accent) so much now. And that's remaaaaarkable!

Comment

i have always wondered... what is a "tonk"???

Comment

This is fun... all the brand names (especially LIDL) are cheap stores.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X