Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Schooling in our area - South east England is generally -

4-7 Infant school
    7-11 Primary school
    11-16 Secondary school
    16-18 College
    18+ University (times would vary depending on course)

We never say soda or pop, it's generally the type or brand of the soft drink ie. cherryade, lemonade or coke.

One thing that I did discover recently is that sometimes here people say they smooth their dog/cat/pet instead of stroke, of course it's grammatically wrong but I had never given it much thought until a friend of mine from Essex (near London) pointed out that it waas wierd.
    Autumn
    /|\

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=758.msg14914#msg14914 date=1290181622]
      Nope. It is fizzy drink for everyone. Or in my area fizzy juice. Energy drinks are jitter juice and alcohol is DRINK.
      [/quote]

Alcohol here is often called a 'bevvy'.
      Autumn
      /|\

Comment

Nope. It is fizzy drink for everyone. Or in my area fizzy juice. Energy drinks are jitter juice and alcohol is DRINK.
        [/quote]

Huh. Just never heard the word out of the mouth of someone over 25, is all. *shrug*

Mostly art.

Comment

[/quote]

Always pop - no matter what the age - in my area!
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I live right under the meeting point of the soda and pop debate. I have many friends that consequently call it soda pop just to have their bases covered.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

In Germany (as far as I know) there's no specific word for soft drinks...you just call it by whatever it is, like cola, fanta, or whatever. And people call it "cola" most of the time, even if it's brand name like Coke or Pepsi. So I've started ordering it as "cola" and my friends in Canada made fun of me when I was there and kept ordering "cola." I think it reminds them of "'I'll have a liter of Cola...' 'Just get a large Farva' 'I don't want a large Farva I want a goddamn liter of cola!'"

Comment

Another thing that mystifies me is measuring ingredients for cooking. I have tried very hard with cups and spoons (you can buy them now in the UK) but find them difficult. Then again I am still using an old fashioned balance scales with a brass pan. I don't find it difficult to convert from pounds and ounces into grams and kilos... just wondering what everyone else made of measures!

And of course that takes us to things like basin/bowl, grill, broil, skillet etc. Gets me confused sometimes!

One thing used in my part of the world is a girdle/griddle/bakestone (I call it bakestone). It's a large flat cast iron pan for cooking over a fire (or on the cooker) - you can use it to make welsh cakes, scones, singing hinnie, etc.

Comment

I use both, because I have cook books from all over. And for veggies I have a better idea of how many 500 grams of mushrooms (for example) are than how many cups (like that can really differ depending on how stuff is chopped!) But for dry ingredients and spices like flour I really prefer cups and spoons.
                  I have issues with pounds and ounces, but I have a converter app on my iPhone so that helps me!

Comment

Oh I'm a pounds and ounces, feet and inches gal. Grams? WTF kindof measurement is that for potatoes? Metric is good for the really big and the really small, but on human sized measurements, like a serving of meat, give me imperial every time.

On the fizzy drinks issue I'm an East Anglian and I've never come across either soda or pop, as far as I recall anyway. Maybe I'm posh? :P Also I'm a bit over 25 by now... lol, not by a huge amount... but enough!
                    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

We seem to have loads of roundabouts where I live. Are they a common feature elsewhere?

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=758.msg14950#msg14950 date=1290190409]
                        Always pop - no matter what the age - in my area!
                        [/quote]

Shows what a difference there is between different parts of the great Blighty
                        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=758.msg15117#msg15117 date=1290242222]
                          Shows what a difference there is between different parts of the great Blighty
                          [/quote]

It does indeed - in fact when Mr penry and I were first married we spent many a happy hour arguing that we couldn't understand what each other was saying. Still, it all got sorted in the end.... altogether now.... Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh :-*

Comment

Australian nomenclature...

Fries = hot chips
                            Crisps (as in come in a sealed packet) = chips
                            Pop = soft drink (or lolly water if being derogatory)

Also, your little finger is your pinky, roundabouts are practically at epidemic proportions and the toilet can happily be called the dunny, loo, bog, shitter, or (my personal favourite) the thunderbox. Incidentally very large blow flies are called dunny budgies.

On the fowl theme, Speedo style men's swimming shorts are known as budgie smugglers and to behave like an idiot is to risk being labelled a galah.

This could go on forever, or you could just watch a Steve Irwin clip on youtube and come away with the distinct impression that Australians are two beers short of a six pack.

Comment

Budgie smugglers!

hahahahaha rotfl ye gods the aussies are great
                              You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

[quote author=Arianrhod link=topic=758.msg16341#msg16341 date=1290485583]
                                Australian nomenclature...

Fries = hot chips
                                Crisps (as in come in a sealed packet) = chips
                                Pop = soft drink (or lolly water if being derogatory)[/quote]

Interesting.

Here:
                                Fries = "French Fried" potatoes (potato sticks that are deep fried)
                                Crisps = we don't really use that term for anything
                                Chips = either potato chips (very thinly sliced, fried potatoes), corn chips (wedge cut deep fried corn tortillas), or poker chips.
                                Pop = what a balloon does
                                coke = soft drink (see previous post on topic)
                                "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Working...
                                X