Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

I think lollies in Australia are like popsicles. They might be called 'ice lollies' specifically, though. My Australian artist friend talks often of 'lemon lollies' & whatnot.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=758.msg23288#msg23288 date=1292685928]
      OOOH!!!

just last night in chat us US peeps learned that the trunk door counts as a car door!
      [/quote]

Yes, a 3 door car has drivers door, front passenger door - and the boot!!
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=758.msg23334#msg23334 date=1292698011]
        Yes, a 3 door car has drivers door, front passenger door - and the boot!!
        [/quote]

lol, we don't count the trunk as a car door!!
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=758.msg23355#msg23355 date=1292706389]
          lol, we don't count the trunk as a car door!!
          [/quote]

It's strange, isn't it? I wonder why we do?

Comment

Just thought I'd note, the college education seems different in Iowa than Texas. A two-year school is technical school or a community college and a four-year school is a university.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Off topic, but the UK doesn't have Graham Crackers or Triscuits.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg24000#msg24000 date=1292981053]
                Off topic, but the UK doesn't have Graham Crackers or Triscuits.
                [/quote]

Very true... I think the nearest we used to have to Graham Crackers were called Krackerwheats. Does the US have Garibaldi biscuits? Or Lemon Puffs?

Comment

I don't think we have lollies ... I first heard the word in New Zealand ... Lollies meant candy of some form ...

Ice blocks were ice cream on a stick ...

We do however have lollipops which are a hard candy on a stick ... They can be round balls or disk shaped ...

Popsicles are ice cream on two sticks and shaped so you can split it in two and share ... If you are so inclined that is ...
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

If I remember correctly, the UK's answer to our Graham crackers is digestive biscuits.
                    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                    -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Clive link=topic=758.msg24209#msg24209 date=1293061230]
                      If I remember correctly, the UK's answer to our Graham crackers is digestive biscuits.
                      [/quote]

Yeah, but we have BOTH in Canada...

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=758.msg11725#msg11725 date=1289433335]
                        BTW - what do people call knickers in the US? (womens underwear...)
                        [/quote]

I just had to answer this question

My mum is from England, so when I was a little girl I only knew the word "knickers." I actually didn't know what panties were so when other kids didn't understand me... I just thought they didn't wear any!

But now I use both knickers and panties. However, I don't use "knickers" usually for thongs or g-strings.

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=758.msg20925#msg20925 date=1291865648]
                          Had to chime in on the fries/chips condiments.... you guys have covered all of them but one that is popular here in Canada....we call it 'Poutine' (originates in Quebec) and it's fries with cheese curds and gravy over top...the cheese melts with the hot gravy and.....yum!
                          [/quote]

Lol. I'm from Canada too, but I've always hated poutine. It's just mushy and blech. But my boyfriend just loves it tho.

I double-posted again! Oh crap. I'm a spammer.

Comment

[quote author=Tiger-Lily link=topic=758.msg24273#msg24273 date=1293082627]
                            Lol. I'm from Canada too, but I've always hated poutine. It's just mushy and blech. But my boyfriend just loves it tho.

I double-posted again! Oh crap. I'm a spammer.
                            [/quote]

Hey, you're from BC too!

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=Clive link=topic=758.msg24209#msg24209 date=1293061230]
                              [/quote]

Well...that's because while all Graham crackers are digestive biscuits, not all digestive biscuits are Graham crackers
                              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=758.msg24174#msg24174 date=1293052920]
                                I don't think we have lollies ... I first heard the word in New Zealand ... Lollies meant candy of some form ...

Ice blocks were ice cream on a stick ...

We do however have lollipops which are a hard candy on a stick ... They can be round balls or disk shaped ...

Popsicles are ice cream on two sticks and shaped so you can split it in two and share ... If you are so inclined that is ...
                                [/quote]

Lollies here are sweets (candy). They can be made of like boiled sweet, or they can be chewy (like drumstick lollies) They can also be made of marshmellow, or come with dips, usually sherbert (http://www.handycandy.co.uk/lollipop...ps-c-5_99.html)

Ice lollies are like popsicles, but usually with one stick, or generally anything you can get from the ice cream man that isnt a 99.

from what i can tell Graham crackers arent like the digestive biscuits we have here, like Tylluan said, theyre more like Krackawheat

Comment

Working...
                                X