Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    Having learned just a little Hawaiian English, I can say "Yo broder,we gone go get some grinds?"
    Being a Texan, myself, and having only a passing understanding of the Hawaiian accent, I assume you meant, "Yo brother, we gonna go get some grounds?"... I assume that you are asking your friend/family-member if he is going to join you in obtaining some land.
    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
      Being a Texan, myself, and having only a passing understanding of the Hawaiian accent, I assume you meant, "Yo brother, we gonna go get some grounds?"... I assume that you are asking your friend/family-member if he is going to join you in obtaining some land.
      "Hello friend, when shall we next go for a gander and a cup of coffee?"

Mostly art.

Comment

This is a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing "grinds" is food.

Edit: Indeed it is food.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
          "Hello friend, when shall we next go for a gander and a cup of coffee?"
          Originally posted by Clive View Post
          This is a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing "grinds" is food.

Edit: Indeed it is food.
          I ain't quite figurin' how "grinds" means "food"... I get how it could mean "coffee..." but not "food."

Comment

I learned that from a friend at work that was native Hawaiian. Grinds is food..and most likely "SPAM sushi"
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I ain't quite figurin' how "grinds" means "food"... I get how it could mean "coffee..." but not "food."
              Again a guess, but it may refer to grinding food with one's teeth, as "grind" is apparently Pidgin for "to eat."
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                Again a guess, but it may refer to grinding food with one's teeth, as "grind" is apparently Pidgin for "to eat."
                you're too timid.

your explanation makes good sense.

you can't let my understanding, as filtered through my Texas accent, delimit your vocabulary.

Comment

I just don't get why anyone who lives in the damn ocean would eat SPAM sushi instead of fish.

Comment

It is a thing from WW2 Rowan,the military had spam,and the natives got hooked on it.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

And in parts of the UK a spam bayonet is another word for a penis.
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                        And in parts of the UK a spam bayonet is another word for a penis.
                        I'm using this from now on. This is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                          I just don't get why anyone who lives in the damn ocean would eat SPAM sushi instead of fish.
                          SPAM sushi is popular in Guam, as well... so say my friends from Guam, anyway.

Comment

SPAM sushi is popular in Guam, as well... so say my friends from Guam, anyway.
                            I mean I get the WWII thing...and I ate Spam as a kid, but it tastes like crap.

Well, the non-bayonet style, anyway.

(Omg, did I just say that?)

Comment

you're too timid.

your explanation makes good sense.

you can't let my understanding, as filtered through my Texas accent, delimit your vocabulary.
                              I don't understand what you're trying to say. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have no world experience and I forget that other people do.
                              -Erik Erikson

Comment

And now for something completely different...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                                Tribe of my Tribe
                                Clan of my Clan
                                Kin of my Kin
                                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
                                X