This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interacial Relationships

I have heard its a Taboo in some cultures to date others in different cultures. Is there other religions that think that to.
    Last edited by Ikumilover90; 19 Jun 2014, 08:08.

Re: Interacial Relationships

Considering normally a religion functions within a culture but a culture doesn't specifically function within a religion the two seem to have no connection. So trying to compare the two in a statement like you've given seems wrong or doomed to failure / skewing of conclusions.

For instance the Japanese are very culture oriented towards marriage yet that is a product of the culture not the Buddhist or Shinto religion that exists within it.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Dating women of other races is cool with me. I love women whether they are black, Asian, white, or countries that have mixed races like if they are mulatto or Mestizos which are what most Mexican are. I know some orthodox religious groups will be wary. I have heard Christians won't date other races but I can't be certain as I hear that it's a misconception. But any race or mixture of races is cool with me.

Comment

Racism occurs with or without religion. The only connection is a justification for racism that's found in religion.
        Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
          Dating women of other races is cool with me. I love women whether they are black, Asian, white, or countries that have mixed races like if they are mulatto or Mestizos which are what most Mexican are. I know some orthodox religious groups will be wary. I have heard Christians won't date other races but I can't be certain as I hear that it's a misconception. But any race or mixture of races is cool with me.
          The Christian one is variable. There are lots of Christian sects and then there are lots of interpretations within those sects. Saying that all Christianity as a whole believes anything is ermm risky.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            Considering normally a religion functions within a culture but a culture doesn't specifically function within a religion the two seem to have no connection. So trying to compare the two in a statement like you've given seems wrong or doomed to failure / skewing of conclusions.

For instance the Japanese are very culture oriented towards marriage yet that is a product of the culture not the Buddhist or Shinto religion that exists within it.
            I think it's sort of an exaggeration to say that it's doomed to fail. I understand some cultures and religions fuse and while they may only marry their own race, that is due to culture and not because the religion commands it. But I HAVE heard of Christians saying they can't marry someone outside of their race because the bible says it which may or may not be true. She's asking if there were ANY religions that prohibited interracial relationships. I know some sects in Judaism and Zoroastrianism that will prohibit interfaith relationships but that's something that's entirely different.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
              I think it's sort of an exaggeration to say that it's doomed to fail. I understand some cultures and religions fuse and while they may only marry their own race, that is due to culture and not because the religion commands it. But I HAVE heard of Christians saying they can't marry someone outside of their race because the bible says it which may or may not be true. She's asking if there were ANY religions that prohibited interracial relationships. I know some sects in Judaism and Zoroastrianism that will prohibit interfaith relationships but that's something that's entirely different.
              Sorry it is doomed to failure as a contrast grouping as one is not dependent upon the other. Culture does not dictate religion and religion does not dictate culture to the extent that is being asked. Even within the most hardcore societies culture and religion hold differing influences and outcomes. Consider even in hard core Muslim countries its not religion that drives it, its the underlying tribal mentality and structure with its social hierarchy and stratification which defines and drives social acceptable norms.

Comment

The only instance I can think of where the two may be inexorably connected is that of Indian Hindus simply because they are more or less required to marry within their caste and only Indian born Hindus fall within the caste system. Everyone else has a rather ambiguous position in their religion and culture.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                  The only instance I can think of where the two may be inexorably connected is that of Indian Hindus simply because they are more or less required to marry within their caste and only Indian born Hindus fall within the caste system. Everyone else has a rather ambiguous position in their religion and culture.
                  That would hold true except for one small fact, the caste system is not contained within the Veda's from what I understand. The closest I understand there to be is the archaic function was built about a kind of karma and reincarnation. The current caste system is a late addition from what I've read and used more for population and culture control than based upon the Vedas. So while it seems religious its not part of the original script the religion is based upon.

Comment

Interestingly one of my sons-in-law is a Hindu (and born in India) but there were no problems when he married my daughter and she wasn't required to convert or anything.
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Thanks Tylluan. I wasn't absolutely sure. I know I've heard of there being issues on that basis but I'm not exactly sure where.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Thanks Tylluan. I wasn't absolutely sure. I know I've heard of there being issues on that basis but I'm not exactly sure where.
                        In fairness, Shahaku, I think a lot of the problems are cultural rather than religious. My son-in-law's family are very well educated and quite well off. Possibly people in other, more rural parts of India might not be so tolerant, I don't know.

My daughter had two weddings - one in the UK (a fairytale castle with a white dress etc.) and the other in India (walking around the fire 7 times, wedding a red sari and with henna all over her hands and feet!)
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

This is something I feel strongly about, being in an interracial relationship itself. There are many different cultures out there and religions, so what I firmly believe is that it depends on the culture in which you grew up. I come from a place that they quote the Bible in response to interracial relationships. They are cruel, and horrid in their accusations, and to do something as, and I use this term just as they would, drastic as mingling and falling in love with someone of a different race than you? It's highly looked down upon. This is just in the US where I live. Originally I came from Texas, but I have since moved up north to New York City, and in with my boyfriend. When he first came to visit me, there was a lot of open hostility and bible verse slinging at us because he's black, and I am white.

So I believe that peoples interpretations on their doctrine of faith, and the area in which they are located, can have an impact on an interracial relationship. Does it mean that it is inscribed in a certain religious text that two people of a different race should not meet, marry or have children? I don't believe so. I haven't stumbled across any of the sort in my younger years of being raised in a southern baptist household, and nor have I seen it yet written in front of me from other faiths. It's the people, however, and their take on it that can take it to a whole different new level for what they feel is 'morally, ethically and religiously right' in their eyes. That is just my opinion on that however.

Comment

What's an "interracial relationship"?

Same species, that's what matters.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              What's an "interracial relationship"?

Same species, that's what matters.
                              I completely agree with what you're saying there! Unfortunately, that isn't the case in some places though.

Comment

Working...
                              X