This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhaethe View Post
    Fierce snakes are another name for inland taipans They average between 5 to 8 ft. While long, I don't consider them monster snakes, though having deadly venom. Snakes need to get into the double digits in length for me to call them monster or big. But that is just me Where I grew up a variety of snakes were common, ranging from 3 to 6 feet on average.
    I thought they were a hybrid. Either way it doesn't usually live this far south. We reckon it must've caught a ride under a car. Still huge for us though, we only get browns and whippys here.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Snake...Nuff said.

Originally posted by Heka View Post
      I thought they were a hybrid. Either way it doesn't usually live this far south. We reckon it must've caught a ride under a car. Still huge for us though, we only get browns and whippys here.
      Times like this where I am happy to live in a place where it gets rather cold and so the snakes usually max out at 6 feet (except rat snakes, they're enormous and have a nasty habit of curling up on the coals of fireplaces when people camp. Harmless but scares people half to death) . Don't get me wrong, I love snakes but there comes a point where they might actually be dangerous and I'd rather not be in danger of venomous animals. Plus there's only like three species of poison snakes in this state, all of which are normally non deadly and fairly uncommon (mostly because two of them are endangered), the rest are basically harmless. Even rat snakes which get to something like 8 or 9 feet aren't terrible.
      Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        Dad killed a fierce snake outside our house once. 7 ft long. Its a cross breed of an inland taipan and something. I cant remember. Rae'ya would probably know more.
        Yeah, fierce snake is just another name for the Inland Taipan.

Originally posted by Rhaethe View Post
        Fierce snakes are another name for inland taipans They average between 5 to 8 ft. While long, I don't consider them monster snakes, though having deadly venom. Snakes need to get into the double digits in length for me to call them monster or big. But that is just me Where I grew up a variety of snakes were common, ranging from 3 to 6 feet on average.
        King Browns (Mulgas... but they were always 'kingies' when I was a kid) get up to 9-10ft. I remember one in particular at my friend's farm in rural NSW that was around the 3m mark.

Brownies (Eastern Brown Snakes) and Tiger snakes tend to be around 2m or just over, and I've seen Red Bellied Blacks longer than that. But the Kingies are generally thought to be the longest venomous Aussie snake.

'Monster' is a relative term though. Kingies rank up there with the longest venomous snakes in the world. If you take pythons out of the equation, then King Cobras and Black Mambas are the only 'monsters' regularly in double digits.

Comment

In Cardiff (about 25miles south of where I live) there is a giant asbestos tarantula terrorising the streets:

Oh, and we used to have a giant sheep, called Nick Boing
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
          X