This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dowsing

My great-grandfather had a 100% success rate as a dowser. His farm had two wells, his brother's farm had three wells, and between his three other neighbors, 5 more wells. 10 for 10. Not a big sample size, but pretty good for a dirt farmer that worked for the CCC during the Great Depression...which is apparently where he learned this random skill, by watching some buddy of his.

Now, my great-grandfather has been gone a while, and the land has been sold to car dealerships and the like...so the farms had to be surveyed and have some geological studies and things done (mine subsidence is a problem where I'm from)...and it ends up, there's some sort of thing with the water table, that the areas where their wells are is higher than the rest of the general area.

I don't believe in dowsing, and neither did my great-grandfather. But I've been told "ya gotta be using a willow branch". Most importantly--"ya gotta know how to read the landscape."

ETA: I fully recognize the inadmissability of anecdotal evidence as scientific. Also, I work for the gov't...but not as a dowser (as a scientist)
    Last edited by thalassa; 23 Jul 2014, 04:52.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
      I don't believe in it either man, but that's irrelevant. If people wanna do dowsing, if that is what makes them happy, then let them have it without going on about how wrong they are. If you're bugged by taxes being spent on it or whatever, go write to the government about it. The people in this thread don't work for the government (to my knowledge). Their belief in whatever is a non-issue.

Science vs faith is flogging a dead horse because neither side is ever going to convince the other. EVER. So pack it in for fuck sake. I'm getting tired of seeing the same old shit.
      Aww, well if you're sick of it I guess I'd better stop, huh?

Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        Does mean, then, that God/the divine is more reliable than science - i.e.: if my daughter has appendicitis, are the odds of recovery better when I take her to a shaman, or to a surgeon?
        I wasn't going to post this because I thought the thread had died, but here's another little anecdotal story about how science (in this case medicine) sometimes reverts to strange methods to get results.

My daughter DID have appendicitis before she was two. And despite visiting the doctor, and two hospitals (the last being a large University Teaching one) she almost died. My mother in law, who wasn't and never had been a nurse, said it was appendicitis straight away because the baby's 'breath smelled of apples.'
        She told the GP (twice) and he shook his head. Not scientific. It's gastero-enteritis, he said.
        She told the first hospital and got much the same response. They did tests. Loads of them including a barium enema (which apparently could have killed the baby) and a lumbar puncture. They took x-rays. Still didn't know what it was.
        They transferred my daughter (constantly screaming in pain) to the second hospital. More tests. More xrays. My mother-in-law kept telling me, 'It's her bloody appendix, I'm telling you.'
        Finally, a middle-aged Indian doctor arrived. He bent over my daughter and sniffed. 'Appendicitis,' he pronounced. 'Her breath smells of apples,' he added, to my mother-in-law.

In fact, by that time, it was a burst appendix. My daughter was in hospital for weeks. But her breath never smelled like apples ever again.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Yes, I can believe that.

It's a good warning to remember.

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Yes, I can believe that.

It's a good warning to remember.

I just thought it was so strange that you mentioned appendicitis of all things!

Comment

Synchronicity?
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Synchronicity?
                Yup!
                That's what I thought too.

Comment

Working...
                X