This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup 2014

Who else is watching? I'm guessing most of the Europeans and Aussies are, even if their teams aren't playing anymore.

There are three games to go (one semi-final match between Argentina and the Netherlands, the third place game on Saturday, and the final between Germany and whoever wins the Argentina-Netherlands game).

Who do you think will win? What were your favourite moments of the cup so far?

I'm biased, but I think Germany will win. That's not just hopefulness anymore....they faltered for a bit in the beginning, but they've been playing strongly in the final stages and working well together as a team. Also, yesterday's match was just glorious (though probably less glorious if you're a Brazil fan).

Favourite moments:
    -Suarez' bite (come on....that was just funny)
    -The Netherlands-Spain game...never expected a performance like that from the Netherlands!)
    -Germany's victory against Portugal (first game, but so good!)
    -and of course, yesterday's Brazil-Germany game. As a Germany fan in Germany, I can't even describe watching it. It was just surreal. There's a timing difference between internet broadcasts, digital signal, cable, and satellite, so there's a lag. Ours was a bit slower, so there were these cheers about 30 seconds before each goal. After the first, we were like, no....already? The second came very shortly afterwards and we were floored. The third, fourth, and fifth goals came within minutes and each time, we just couldn't believe it. Like, no one could even process it. Germans actually stopped watching the game for chunks of time after that because they couldn't even believe it. There were fireworks going off (people actually save them on world cup years, because you can only buy fireworks at New Years). The whole city of Berlin just lost its mind. We couldn't believe the sixth and seventh in the second half either, but those first five were just unbelievable.

I'm looking forward to the final, but I don't know how it could possibly beat that game. Even if Germany wins, most fans feel that this game was IT. Everyone's really proud and feel that even if Germany loses, it was still a wonderful world cup.

Re: World Cup 2014

I will confess to having a soft spot for the Dutch, for no reason I have ever been able to fathom. That being said, as far as the World Cup in general, I did not get to watch any games, but there was an explosion of interest in the States this year. Years previous, it was a vague blip on the radar for many, but this year there was a huge obsession, and whilst I did not get to watch matches directly, I did live and watch vicariously through my friends

Comment

They're doing well and I admit that even though Germany is doing really well, they could still win. If they do, I think it's safe to say that they were clearly the best team. They play a fair game, from what I've seen.

Comment

So, Saturday's 3rd place game will be Brazil-Netherlands and the final will be Germany-Argentina.

Should be interesting. We beat them in 2006, but they're a strong team this year...

Comment

I dont watcg, but I've been following. I picked Argentina and Switzerland at the statt devastated they played each other. And now sad that Germany won. At least it went to penalties.
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I watched.

Like most Americans, I don't get much exposure to soccer/futbol/football... As a result, every 4 years, when American television decides that we should all be excited about the sport and televises the World Cup, I find myself trying to piece the game together a little more.

The game is fascinating (and a little confusing)... but there is one thing that jumps out at me every time I watch a match: I don't think that there is any sport that is more physically demanding than soccer/futbol/football.

These are SERIOUS athletes... As a cyclist, I want to point out the Tour de France that is happening at the same time... but, also, as a cyclist, I know that, on a bicycle, you get to take a periodic break, without having to stop (coasting)... footballers play non-stop, sprinting, changing direction at a moment's notice, jumping, kicking, diving... it is IMPRESSIVE!

Now, If I could just figure out what is and isn't a foul... and when it is and isn't OK to be off-side.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Heka View Post
            I dont watcg, but I've been following. I picked Argentina and Switzerland at the statt devastated they played each other. And now sad that Germany won. At least it went to penalties.
            Germany v Argentina didn't go to penalties... Germany won in extra-time with a goal at 113'
            "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Germany v Argentina didn't go to penalties... Germany won in extra-time with a goal at 113'
              Same dif. Noone won during time on.

I would've watched. Cept it was on a 4.30 am. Bugger that.

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

The best part was all the WW2 jokes on twitter, I feel so terrible for laughing at each and every one.
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I don't think that there is any sport that is more physically demanding than soccer/futbol/football.

These are SERIOUS athletes... footballers play non-stop, sprinting, changing direction at a moment's notice, jumping, kicking, diving... it is IMPRESSIVE!
                  I wouldn't say it's any more physically demanding than any other sport. A 90 minute kick about really isn't that much.

I used to be on my highschool team, but the whole sport is so boring to me that I don't follow it at all now. I did keep an eye on England's scores (piss poor, waste of time), but stopped paying attention altogether after we got knocked out. Had no idea it was Germany and Argentina in the final. We've kicked both their arses in wars lol
                  Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
                    I wouldn't say it's any more physically demanding than any other sport. A 90 minute kick about really isn't that much.

I used to be on my highschool team, but the whole sport is so boring to me that I don't follow it at all now. I did keep an eye on England's scores (piss poor, waste of time), but stopped paying attention altogether after we got knocked out. Had no idea it was Germany and Argentina in the final. We've kicked both their arses in wars lol
                    Granted... I am trained for different muscle exertion... but I am a pretty fit guy (the kind of guy that can jump on a bike and put in 100 miles without having to train)... but the idea of running around for 90 minutes+ (running an average of a 10k in a single game)... sounds exhausting to me (yes, I paid attention to the "distance traveled" stat that was posted for players exiting the games)... Running is FAR harder on the joints than cycling is, and these guys aren't just running in a straight line, they are constantly changing direction and reacting to the opponent.

I played American football in highschool, and I was pretty good at it... but I can't imagine the impacts that NFL players endure.

I highly doubt that your highschool soccer experience compares, at all, with a World Cup match.

Comment

Granted... I am trained for different muscle exertion... but I am a pretty fit guy (the kind of guy that can jump on a bike and put in 100 miles without having to train)...
                      Show off..

RIP

You cut your hair short
                      Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I've watched and played enough football to know it's all exactly the same. Hence the boredom.

Comment

I've watched and played enough football to know it's all exactly the same. Hence the boredom.
                          All everything is exactly the same when it comes right down to it, you just don't like this particular thing.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                            All everything is exactly the same when it comes right down to it, you just don't like this particular thing.
                            Yeah, I'm just saying, the level of skill changes, but the amount of exertion does not. Assuming you play for the full 90+ minutes, it's the same thing.

Comment

Yeah, I'm just saying, the level of skill changes, but the amount of exertion does not. Assuming you play for the full 90+ minutes, it's the same thing.
                              I challenge you to a 90 minute bicycle race.

If the time spent is the key, rather than then energy exerted, then we should tie (cover the same amount of ground).

Comment

Working...
                              X