Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's about time someone else was outed...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's about time someone else was outed...

Finally...at least we're not the only pieces of trash on the Internet.

Advocatus Diaboli writes The secretive British spy agency GCHQ has developed covert tools to seed the internet with false information, including the ability to manipulate the results of online polls, artificially inflate pageview counts on web sites, "amplif[y]" sanctioned messages on YouTube, and c...

Re: It's about time someone else was outed...

Are we surprised though? Did we really think the US government was the only government with issues keeping their spyglass in their pants? Using people against themselves? Random douchebaggery?

Nope, me eigther....
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Nope, it's just nice to hear it once in awhile. When I get to hear people from other countries get high and mighty about how Americans shouldn't be spying on anyone I want to slap them in their brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
        Finally...at least we're not the only pieces of trash on the Internet.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/07...l-the-internet
        Australia got in trouble recently for getting caught spying on Indonesia. Ruined relationships for a bit. But ah well.
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Yeah...every country does this, and everyone knows every country does this. Heck private corporations even do this. Any institution with security concerns does this.

The only thing that surprises me is that it somehow suprises people. I would have thought (whether anything was published about it or not) we'd all have figured this out by now.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I think the problem is that, at least for those of us in the US, we're raised (brainwashed?) to believe that we are the moral keepers of the planet. Of course China is "wrong", they don't believe in our ideals or whatever.

It doesn't surprise me - not even in the slightest - that countries (and businesses) spy on each other. I would expect as much. It's when the countries are spying on their own citizens that I have an issue, and honestly, considering the recent flap on Facebook manipulating people's emotions this certainly doesn't look like a good thing for the UK. Manipulating your populace is *also* something that "everyone knows", but strangely everyone seems to only think it happens to other countries.

Comment

There was a huuuuuge uproar on both sides when they found out australia was spying on Indonesia. ... and I was just sittng there like, so? Considering only the bali bombings, no wonder we're spying. And they're spying on us, thats probably how they found out.

Duh.
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Finally???? We in the UK have known about spying and GCHQ and god-alone-knows-what-else for decades now. I mean - the Enigma decoding? Did anyone really believe the film U-571 that suggested the US found and decoded it? Um no, it was Bletchley Park.

We could make a good case IMHO for the intelligence services beginning with Lord Walsingham in the 16th century (for Elizabeth I)

And if you really want a look at what's going on over here, try http://chrisspivey.org/
                Definitely a bit of an eye-opener.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I must say. Mr. Spivey is really disrespectful of our Queen.

As Tylluan said England has been 'outed' about spying for a long time now, it's not quite news. Although this social engineering thing is a different flavor. I think all the allied powers have their hands in some fishy pies right now, I'm just glad I'll be dead before this all erupts into whatever it's going to be when the pot boils over.
                  White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                  sigpic
                  In Days of yore,
                  From Britain's shore
                  Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                  And planted firm Britannia's flag
                  On Canada's fair domain.
                  Here may it wave,
                  Our boast, our pride
                  And joined in love together,
                  The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                  The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Yeah...every country does this, and everyone knows every country does this. Heck private corporations even do this. Any institution with security concerns does this.

The only thing that surprises me is that it somehow suprises people. I would have thought (whether anything was published about it or not) we'd all have figured this out by now.
                    Some cultures highly value online privacy. Germans definitely do.....it's probably the biggest reason why the Pirate Party is as popular as it is (The German Pirate Party has a lot of transparency and online privacy stuff worked into its platform). People know that countries and companies spy, but they still don't like it at all. They still like the Internet, though, so they get really pissy when countries get outed for it. They also really push online privacy rulings in the German and EU courts.

Comment

Working...
                    X