This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Contraception? Who knew? Apparently not women

Erm...I'm from suburban southern Illinois, and i had sex ed starting in the 5th grade, in the very early 90s, all the up thru highschool...in public school. Not that it mattered, my mom was a nurse and I started getting the sex talk in 1st grade. Learned to use a condom in 5th grade, when my mom had an 11 yo patient with a tubal. Went to my first OB visit at 14, which was the soonest she took patients.

Phee knows what sex is. She knows where babies come from. She knows what boy and girl parts are (inside and out). She knows about menstruation and that there are ways to prevent the sperm from reaching the egg. She knows about fetal development. She vaguely knows the mechanics of sex, in the general sense of penis goes into the vagina and puts sperm in there. She vagely knows what mastrubation is because kids start touvhing themselves in the womb and we've never made it a big deal (except to tell them that is something that is done in the privacy of the bedroom or bathroom.

With that being said, i think there should never be a sex talk. Never. I think there should hundreds of the damn things...kids are curious. They want to know where they came from...heck, where people came from...why and how. They get more than we often give them credit for. The more we normalize sex as parents, the less intrieguing it is, the less tempting it is because its taboo. Not saying its not tempting anymore, but hopefully its tempting for the right reasons and not the wrong ones.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Perhaps it's the notion that something recessive is given to the realm of mystery, as in it's not 'cool' to be a 'douche-bag'
      Last edited by Guest; 03 Aug 2014, 00:22.

Comment

My education here in oz wasnt quite as complete as Rae'ya's, but my mum was happy to talk about it and gave me a book that mentioned all the masturbation etc.

Catholic school was terrible for it.

As a sex ed teacher now, teaching the Focus Schools SHine SA program (feel free to google) I know that there is a public school program that starts in year 5 and goes to year 10 and covers everything from sex, to contraception, STIs, power in relationships, abuse everything. Its a great program. We just struggle atm with keeping the program consistently running over 3 or 4 years and having people trained to teach it. Atm its only me and I dont have time to teach every grade its entitlements.
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I believe sex ed should start as soon as a child can talk about it. Kids need this information. And there were 10/11 year olds who were having sex in my middle school (literally in the school, in the bathroom, on breaks) My graduating class had 120 students. There were something like 30 babies by the time we were 20. That's 60 people who had a kid (a little less since some had 2 and one 3). Its a big problem. Made bigger by lack of education.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            II want to talk about why this information isn't happening. We teach our young so many things. Hell, boys learn how to jerk off from their dads, friends. But does anyone teach a girl how to masturbate? How to take complete and total control over her own body down to the very clitoral button?
            Won't see dad doing that...

Especially with daughters.

Never had sons, so I dunno about them.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This is such a weird concept for me. We started sex ed at 12. We started learning about our bodies even younger. Either our school district or my province - I can't remember which - had a program to get kids to recognize and report abuse, which involved learning about which parts of the body were private and how no one should touch you in certain ways. My mom had the sex talk with me when I was about 6 or 7...it wasn't very graphic, but I generally knew how it worked and what happened if you did it. Kids where I come from learn about sex at various ages, but they pretty much all start sex ed around 11 or 12 now. Girls still get pregnant sometimes, but they damn well know how it happened.

Comment

Working...
              X