This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do nazis get banned?

I've noticed a few sites I've been on that nazis get banned a lot. Even here. Why exactly is that? I know we all have dissenting opinions. And it seems we are allowed to express them in a way that doesn't bash another I guess. But we can't have a dissenting opinion about race or homosexuality it seems. Those seem to be the 2 biggest things that get you banned. Don't be a racist. Don't be a homophobe.

Now again is it how they say their opinion or is it their actual opinion that gets them banned?

Someone can get banned for calling black people monkeys.
    Can they get banned for stating I do no like black people. Then go on to list their reasons (even if it's stereotypical responses that we know aren't factual, but are to them in their experiences?) Such as I hate East Asians because they smell. Or I hate Mexicans because they are all illegal. We know it's crock. But it's their belief. Can they say it and not get banned? Or is the actual belief ban worthy?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Why do nazis get banned?

IIRC (no, I'm not looking it up right now), site policy is not instaban on racism or homophobia. There's a tendency for such individuals to get banned because there's a tendency for them to repeatedly piss off staff without providing us reason to he merciful in our judgements but I don't go searching for racist statements and applying spam-o-matic without mercy when I find them. If I did then at least one individual last summer would have disappeared weeks before he was actually banned. This does not mean that we will actually tolerate threads we consider to be hate speech (anyone who believes I have an overabundance of tolerance most of the time really needs to share their happy pills with the rest of us) but there's a decent gap between one of the staff locking your thread and saying not to try that topic again vs the admins voting to permaban you.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I should have mentioned what brought this up. I was on reddit (surprise!) and some dude got banned for being a nazi. Just wondered if it's the actual being a nazi or letting it be known and the opinions etc.

Comment

I think that it's more or less the taboo on Nazism.

As you said, there are things that are just not talked about with the majority of Western society such as racism and homophobia. Nazism seems to also be on that list due to the association with the Holocaust and rampant racism.

But it's really a fine line - I know that I wrote in protest of WitchVox.com banning all articles relating to Satanism. Every minority will be will discriminated against by a majority in some place or another.

Some majorities may be more tolerant of the minority in question, while others may not. I suppose that's one of the reasons I appreciate PF because most all opinions and associations are generally approached with tolerance as long as they can be expressed diplomatically and with sensitivity and reason.

Comment

I can't speak to reddit. Different sites have different approaches. Heck, we have different approaches to different scenarios and ideas that expressed one way will bring thread lock and warning can also bring permaban once admins arrive if expressed another way. All I'm willing to commit to is that moderator staff on PF do not have marching orders to the effect of ban racists, nazis and homophobes on sight without warning or pity. All bans except for spam are rendered by admin call (normally but not always by vote) or are temporary ways for a mod to silence the poster in question till such time as an admin is on site to review the details. Even offenses that I'm absolutely sure will result in permaban after admins arrive will at most merit a temp ban until the admins are on hand to render final judgement.

The exception is spam. If any member of the staff deems you guilty of spam then you are gone. Judgement is immediate and unless you have an awesome case to e-mail to Juni, it is final.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Online, generally speaking, white supremicists are prone to make inflammatory statements. They seem to enjoy pushing people's buttons, instigating flame wars, that kind of thing. And, the internet being what it is, people never fail to take the bait. Most sites do have rules against starting inflammatory threads, flame-wars, etc. The main user base would never know if someone on reddit or tumblr or a forum was harassing other people via PMs, and that's another way people get permabanned.

I have seen a few white supremacists on various forums who weren't trying to further their ideological agenda every given moment of the day - and it's always weird to me.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

One reason I think is the public image on racism,and homophobia. A given site "Might" be considering their own public image by allowing "Rants" or even just tolerance of negative images. Also the big "OR" of not wanting to lose other members that find the whole "Image" of the nazis bothersome. Ideas can be bothersome when the majority of the users find them offensive,not always because of content,but because of their reaction to an image of these groups and their members. Perhaps because of an encounter in the past with one of them..
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

To also add,someone was wearing "Swastika" earrings in New York City,and got major nasty for it. She had to explain that the symbol was from Buddhism,you see that symbol on many temples. It was not until Hitler "Stole" the image to use for his own purposes that it became a negative symbol. Sorry it is from Hindu temples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

My bad for not researching its origins..and in many cases not checking things out adds to the negative ideas.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                  I've noticed a few sites I've been on that nazis get banned a lot. Even here. Why exactly is that? I know we all have dissenting opinions. And it seems we are allowed to express them in a way that doesn't bash another I guess. But we can't have a dissenting opinion about race or homosexuality it seems. Those seem to be the 2 biggest things that get you banned. Don't be a racist. Don't be a homophobe.

Now again is it how they say their opinion or is it their actual opinion that gets them banned?

Someone can get banned for calling black people monkeys.
                  Can they get banned for stating I do no like black people. Then go on to list their reasons (even if it's stereotypical responses that we know aren't factual, but are to them in their experiences?) Such as I hate East Asians because they smell. Or I hate Mexicans because they are all illegal. We know it's crock. But it's their belief. Can they say it and not get banned? Or is the actual belief ban worthy?
                  I see that kind of shit at almost every turn. I see hypocrisy EVERYWHERE.

There's a ton of nuances and prejudices involved, on both sides of the hate-fence. I really don't want to use PF as an example but, it's the most fitting, I think, BECAUSE of the hypocrisy. Pagans are expected to be anti-Christian and also expected to be very accepting of fringe subcultures. With a Nazi on board, there's going to be, inevitably, someone screaming for the head of said Nazi, on a silver plate, so to speak.

No exchange, no dialogue. Just "It's a Nazi=hate=ban it!" Myself, I want to juxtapose different minorities, cultures, beliefs, religions, genders, sexual orientation, into that statement and see how those screamers feel about THAT. We had to ban one person here NOT because of anything they did but because it was far easier than banning a couple dozen other folks, around here, and suddenly losing the entire community, altogether. That's a lynching. Plain and simple. [A significant number of] Members FORCED staff to do something that was and is inherently wrong. "For the greater good".

It turns my stomach as much as the white supremacist's belief, itself.

At the end of the day, it turns out that it's socially acceptable to hate certain groups, if you're within a certain *other* group. If you own a website, you can hate people of a certain skin color or religious stance and boot them off of it, as soon as they register. If you are part of the KKK you can hate on blacks to your hearts content. If you're Pagan, you can easily hate any and all of the Abrahamic world views. If you're a Satanist, hell, you can hate on everyone. And many more. It's perfectly acceptable *to* the group you belong to.

But then, the wrench[es] get[s] thrown in. Anti-hate laws and equal rights movements. Some places can get away with it. Some places have to develop some sort of tactful delineation of acceptable hatred levels, like certain speech. Which is also problematic. To put some icing on that FUBAR cake, we have to include people's rights[/freedoms] as well as colloquialisms and cultural norms. And, what MESS would be complete without everyone's dissenting opinions?

Why do Nazis get banned? Because someone CAN and WILL object to their presence. Regardless.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

But I like talking to the nazis. They always seem like little monkeys in a cage. You wanna poke it and see what it does out of sheer curiosity.

Comment

They always seem like little monkeys in a cage.
                      Often times in intelligence level they are.
                      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                      sigpic
                      In Days of yore,
                      From Britain's shore
                      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                      And planted firm Britannia's flag
                      On Canada's fair domain.
                      Here may it wave,
                      Our boast, our pride
                      And joined in love together,
                      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

But I like talking to the nazis. They always seem like little monkeys in a cage. You wanna poke it and see what it does out of sheer curiosity.
                        I remember a few different Nazi's that we tried to "accept" here quite some time ago.

They did not play well with others. As a matter of fact, they seemed to relish going out of their way to do exactly the opposite.

There were never any "marching orders", but it only takes a very short period of time before something in the Middle East is brought up with the term "lesser races" and you have a whole slew of butthurt. We eventually stopped engaging them because you can't talk sense to someone that isn't sensible.

Never any marching orders, but a regrettable ban when they inevitably couldn't keep their cool...

Comment

Haha I thought this was going to be a thread about de-nazification and why nazi symbols and literature are banned in some countries and was going to jump in with how big a deal people would make of it if there were even minor groups of Germans parading around with swastikas. But then I actually opened the thread.

I think it's because they tend to be really, really offensive and usually break other forum rules. Lots of forums have rules against hate speech, most have rules against attacking or provoking other members, and all that jazz. Nazis tend to cross those lines more often than not.

Comment

why the heck would anyone even want to label themselves that anyway?
                            Work hard Play hard.
                            What is history?

Comment

Personally I see two categories of people - Germans and nazis. I have no problem with German people but as far as I remember nazis were the ones who tried to eliminate everyone during WW2. So people are afraid of them, they are afraid of the rise of nazism for the second time.

- - - Updated - - -

Or do I miss something and we're talking about something totally different?
                              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X