This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally new to Paganism

HI everyone I am entirely new to the idea of paganism and everything so I just want to know if there is some information about paganism I general and beliefs. I also have a direct question. I am guy, and I just would like to know the general view of homosexuality in Pagan culture. I plan to make an intro thread when I look at the religion and see if it's for me.

Re: Totally new to Paganism

Hi, Jade, and welcome to PF.

"Paganism" is not a singular religion, but is an umbrella term for a collection of different (sometimes vastly different) belief systems, religions and paths which tend to share some common traits. So unfortunately, there is no one general view of homosexuality within Paganism - although you will likely find that the majority of Neo-Pagan practitioners are mostly open and accepting of homosexuality. There is a particular book that may be of interest to you, although it is from a Neo-Wiccan perspective:

Gay Witchcraft: Empowering The Tribe - by Christopher Penczak

^Penczak is an author that has written quite prolifically about a number of "101" topics within Neo-Wicca and Neo-Paganism. You may already be familiar with him for all I know.

I suppose that, in order to help you more specifically, what do you know about Paganism and what attracts you to it?

Comment

Generalizing about "Pagans" is like generalizing about "Christians," in fact there are any number of people who think of themselves as Christian Pagans. There are at least a thousand pages on the internet about what the word "pagan" actually means, so feel free to explore those if you like. Or you could just say what it means to you so that your launching point is clear. As for your sexual preference, I don't care. I have not noticed much about that on this board, but you can find somebody willing to judge you no matter where you go if you look hard enough.

The big thing is to be true to yourself. Some questions to consider; there are no right or wrong answers, but they can help you decide how you want to approach things: Is your quest more spiritual or more social? What makes you feel happy? What do you fear? What do you think is the greatest human quality, the thing you want to nurture in yourself? How would you describe Divinity?

I am not asking you to share your answers. These are personal questions, and pretty tough ones. The idea is to get you thinking about where you are and what you want. Maybe poke around the board to get a sense of the multitude of paths that are loosely called "pagan." If something resonates, look into it further.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I don't think there are really any pagan "rules" unless your in a specific path or tradition, so homosexuality is a non-issue. That's probably one of my personal favorite things.

This was the first place I looked, it has some nice simple stuff that just cleared away some of the confusion I felt at first and helped me figure out what specific questions I wanted to answer.

Comment

welcome to Pagan Forum, Jade! I hope you do decide to stay, we like new people

one of the things that drew me to paganism in the first place was how open and welcoming of everyone it seemed to be. That's basically true on this forum, and it's true of most pagans I have met, although there are always bigots in every sector of society, sad to say. paganism is just like any other religious tradition in that it attracts all types.

for information about paganism in general... you're going to get a lot of different stuff, possibly conflicting stuff. probably your best bet at this stage is to research some of the different paths and see if there's one that catches your eye. that said, you don't have to choose just one. look at my religious description over on the left: I couldn't decide, so I kind of picked and chose my own thing. it's up to you.

I should note: about staying on the forum, you don't have to decide to be pagan to stay here. my boyfriend is a Christian and he's here (Malflick, I'm talking about you), and there are a few others here who don't identify as pagan. you could just stay 'cause we're awesome

Comment

Yeah, I'm Malflick Nightingale's Christian boyfriend who hangs out here, welcome

Feel free to explore all your options, and find what path works for you. I hope you stay and enjoy your time here!
            hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

You are however required to surrender your sanity...

It gets added to my pizzas :cthulhu:
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the help everyone. I enjoy how nice this community appears to be so far. I'll be taking the next few days, looking into paths and seeing if and what pagan path is best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  You are however required to surrender your sanity...

It gets added to my pizzas :cthulhu:
                  My shares gonna be tasty soon. When am I up next? Or did you grab me last week?
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                    My shares gonna be tasty soon. When am I up next? Or did you grab me last week?
                    *checks schedule*

This Friday.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

*checks schedule*

This Friday.
                      Friday should be ok. Coming back from camp, then sitting in a car for 7 hours.

Though are you talking about your Friday or my Friday? If its your Friday I'm bound to be asleep. Thats as good a time as any.

Cheers. And enjoy I've been working out
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Jade568 View Post
                        HI everyone I am entirely new to the idea of paganism and everything so I just want to know if there is some information about paganism I general and beliefs. I also have a direct question. I am guy, and I just would like to know the general view of homosexuality in Pagan culture. I plan to make an intro thread when I look at the religion and see if it's for me.
                        Welcome to the site and hope you find what you want.

I am going to differ a bit on how accepting pagans are. On the net you'll usually find a lot of individual practitioners who say they welcome everyone and there's little to no discrimination and such. The bad part, like a lot of things dealing with peoples personas on the net versus real life they speak with two faces or forked tongue. Most sites tell you to play nice or be banned, so the persona you see is not always the real person nor who they would be were you to meet in real life.

The other thing is in my opinion many new people confuse attacking / debating / arguing a perspective as attacking the person who expressed the opinion. It may appear as if the person is unwelcome when the person is welcome but their perspective is either not welcomed or not accepted. A situation that will often times change from site to site as to how and what they believe and accept.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                        X