No announcement yet.

Rant/question: Ouija Board imagery on clothing and *similar matters*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of my friend who was bothered by all the black catd and witches hats imagery, but I honestly dont give a f.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Rant/question: Ouija Board imagery on clothing and *similar matters*

I saw a punk girl get on to my bus the other day. She had a cute leopard bag with patches sewn around it. You know with the white stitching? She had a Baphomet one. And I was like oh, are you a Satanist too?! And she's like um, no. And I'm like oh I am. I just figured since you had that Satanic patch. And then I showed her my Baphomet. Tattooed on my arm.

She seemed a bit...scared I guess.

That's what you get dumbass.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        I saw a punk girl get on to my bus the other day. She had a cute leopard bag with patches sewn around it. You know with the white stitching? She had a Baphomet one. And I was like oh, are you a Satanist too?! And she's like um, no. And I'm like oh I am. I just figured since you had that Satanic patch. And then I showed her my Baphomet. Tattooed on my arm.

Love this.
        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
        sigpic
        In Days of yore,
        From Britain's shore
        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
        And planted firm Britannia's flag
        On Canada's fair domain.
        Here may it wave,
        Our boast, our pride
        And joined in love together,
        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I just dislike teenagers in general - no matter what they're wearing. Wait, no - that's not fair. I'm not ageist - I hate everyone equally. :devilish:

Comment

Tehehehe well played.

RIP

You cut your hair short
            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Symbolism is quite powerful for me at least, I don't care as long as people understand (have meaning an reason too) what they're involving themselves in and don't make stupid comments. However It's not just paganism or less known symbols, I hate it when the Christian cross is used randomly as a fashion device. The amount of anti-religion people I've met with religious symbolism is quite disturbing ~.~
              Work hard Play hard.
              What is history?

Comment

Baphomet isn't specifically Satanic, though. It's been adopted by Satanists, but it's more of an allegorical figure.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
                  Baphomet isn't specifically Satanic, though. It's been adopted by Satanists, but it's more of an allegorical figure.
                  True. But it is indeed a symbol of my religion. I can claim religion just like the rest of them!
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

My only issue is mostly with distinct religious symbols. This is because I would like to think that everyone wearing a pentagram /tree of life/goddess symbol etc is someone ii could connect with religiously but usually they're clueless and then I'm disappointed
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I would hesitate to call a pentagram a distinct religious symbol. You find them in all sorts of amusing places with different purposes.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                        I would hesitate to call a pentagram a distinct religious symbol. You find them in all sorts of amusing places with different purposes.
                        The Pythagoreans have been spinning in their graves for centuries over that one...

...as are the Babylonians they mooched it from...

... and whoever THEY mooched it from.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          True. Still id like to be able to generally assume that they are pagan of some sort
                          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                            True. Still id like to be able to generally assume that they are pagan of some sort
                            I do, too, but...

Ye old pentagram has been used to represent the five wounds of Christ, the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Bible/Torah) & Pentecost. Renaissance occultists used it to symbolize a constructed name of God (the Pentagrammaton).

Even the super-scary Satanic upside-down cross isn't safe - it's called St. Peter's (or the Petrine cross) & is associated with humility in Christianity & Catholicism.
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by necrocretin View Post
                              (I'm new, so please be gentle if this has been discussed before)
                              In short form: How do you feel about new-age/'nu goth' tweens and teens wearing Ouija boards on t-shirts and using planchettes for necklaces? (Personally, I think it's incredibly tacky.)

But to be much more broad and serious about it: On a scale of 'rolling my eyes' to 'literally tearing my hair out', how angry/upset does it make you to see non-Pagans wearing symbols such as pentacles/pentagrams, triple moons, Vegvisir, Celtic runes, and various other religious/spiritual/magic symbols and/or objects? Especially when they claim to either not believe the sincerity of such things ("Pagans are just attention wh*res trying too hard to be different!" or "It's just fairytale junk!") or outright say that Paganism is wicked. Sort of apples and oranges, I suppose, as Ouija Boards are more of a novelty compared to long-standing religious symbols, yanno.

From personal experience, it upsets me greatly to see teenagers wearing Satanic symbols to be 'edgy'. (Nevermind those confusing a pentacle for a pentagram or assuming either is 'evil' and therefore "SO EDGY XD".) Outside of my own faith, it's still... disturbing to watch the appropriation of other spiritualities for the sake of fashion. I've mentioned this once to a (non-Pagan, non-spiritual, non-religious) friend and he told me, "People outside of a faith have no obligation to respect that faith; symbols mean different things to different people. What might be sacred to you, is simply decoration for them. And that's acceptable. You can't care about things like that, dude. It's dumb to get offended." I only really read the rebuttal as "I don't care because it isn't relevant to me, so stop whining."
                              Mostly I have no problem with it. But it's very confusing sometimes.
                              Once I saw a girl wearing an Ankh sign on her neck in a bus. She was sitting with her bf behind me. And I thought: "Is she Kemetic? Or is she wearing it for fun?"
                              She seemed to be busy, so I didn't bother her with it. If she WAS Kemetic - well, yay! If not, meh... I have no problem with it.

But mostly - I find it bizarre to wear a religious sign without any idea about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Amadi View Post
                              Symbolism is quite powerful for me at least, I don't care as long as people understand (have meaning an reason too) what they're involving themselves in and don't make stupid comments. However It's not just paganism or less known symbols, I hate it when the Christian cross is used randomly as a fashion device. The amount of anti-religion people I've met with religious symbolism is quite disturbing ~.~
                              Agreed. Plus, when I see a person with a cross on his neck, and the person behaves rudely, I sometimes think: "What kind of Christian is he/she?".
                              And it's not only with Christians. It can be any other religious sign. The David's star (the Jews call it "David's shield, by the way), a moon (if it's Muslim) or any sort of Pagan sign.
                              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                                Mostly I have no problem with it. But it's very confusing sometimes.
                                Once I saw a girl wearing an Ankh sign on her neck in a bus. She was sitting with her bf behind me. And I thought: "Is she Kemetic? Or is she wearing it for fun?"
                                She seemed to be busy, so I didn't bother her with it. If she WAS Kemetic - well, yay! If not, meh... I have no problem with it.

But mostly - I find it bizarre to wear a religious sign without any idea about it.
                                I have a friend who wears an eye of horus. I dont know why, shes japan obsessed

RIP

You cut your hair short
                                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment