Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Long Standing Australian Tradition... The Dunny Spider!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Long Standing Australian Tradition... The Dunny Spider!

So Torey and I seem to have acquired ourselves a 'Dunny Spider'!

As a kid growing up in country Australia, there was always some kind of spider living in the outdoor dunny... although far less common indoors. It's usually a Huntsman, which are pretty harmless and can help control the less desirable insects and spiders. At my grandma's house it was sometimes a Redback or two behind the door, which are NOT nice spiders to be staring at when you're sitting on the loo! My aunt and uncle had a drop dunny for many, many years when I was very young, and so you always had to shine the torch in the seat cover to make sure there was nothing that was gonna pop up and bite you on the butt.

So this little guy showed up in our (indoor) toilet room about a week ago, disappeared for a day or two and then tonight he was there again. Torey has named him Mortimer. He's only a little Huntsman, but we're letting him hang around for now. We'll see how long it lasts before he disappears or before we decide we don't want a spider in the house, even if it is harmless!

He's under a spoiler so people don't have to look at the not-giant Australian creepy crawly if they don't want to...

Spoiler!

Re: A Long Standing Australian Tradition... The Dunny Spider!

This reinforces the general fact that Australians are badass because if I found a spider that size in my bathroom, well lets just say the scream you would hear would not sound like a man.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
      This reinforces the general fact that Australians are badass because if I found a spider that size in my bathroom, well lets just say the scream you would hear would not sound like a man.
      I had a huntsman living in my house for ages. He had 7 legs, thats how I knew he was mine. His name was Kevin. We had an agreement, he could go anywhere he wanted except my bedroom. He lived in the bathroom for ages. Once he surprised me by being in a glass I left on my desk. I can't see the size of your spider cos forumrunner, but Kevin was about the size of my hand.

He disappeared one day, I'm sad now
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
        Aww Doc he's only a little one!

And Torey will kill me for this, but it took a few Huntsman sightings before he stopped freaking out at the sight of them. We have one pop up in the house every now and then, but usually I put them straight outside. Huntsmans are actually good spiders to have in the house though, as they keep other spiders away and eat things like cockroaches. Huntsmans and Daddy Long Legs are acceptable... but everything else gets squished on sight.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        I had a huntsman living in my house for ages. He had 7 legs, thats how I knew he was mine. His name was Kevin. We had an agreement, he could go anywhere he wanted except my bedroom. He lived in the bathroom for ages. Once he surprised me by being in a glass I left on my desk. I can't see the size of your spider cos forumrunner, but Kevin was about the size of my hand.

He disappeared one day, I'm sad now
        Mortimer is only a little one. He's about 4-5cm (thats 1.5-2inches for you US folks) including legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

And Torey will kill me for this, but it took a few Huntsman sightings before he stopped freaking out at the sight of them. We have one pop up in the house every now and then, but usually I put them straight outside. Huntsmans are actually good spiders to have in the house though, as they keep other spiders away and eat things like cockroaches. Huntsmans and Daddy Long Legs are acceptable... but everything else gets squished on sight.
          I used to have to save the huntsmen in dads house, because its profesionally sprayed and he'd die. Gotta save his life, beautiful spider!

RIP

You cut your hair short
          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Mortimer is only a little one. He's about 4-5cm (thats 1.5-2inches for you US folks) including legs.
            Aw baby!!!

Kevin was closer to 15 hahahaha

RIP

You cut your hair short
            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              Aw baby!!!

Kevin was closer to 15 hahahaha
              Yeah that's what I told Torey the first time he saw a HUGE GIANT SPIDER in the house. "Aww that thing, that's just a little baby Huntsman! I'll go put him outside."

I was actually a bit worried about Mortimer at first, 'cos he sat by the window and didn't move for like three days. But he seems fine.

Comment

Yeah that's what I told Torey the first time he saw a HUGE GIANT SPIDER in the house. "Aww that thing, that's just a little baby Huntsman! I'll go put him outside."

I was actually a bit worried about Mortimer at first, 'cos he sat by the window and didn't move for like three days. But he seems fine.
                I just get a bit concerned that they might be wolf spiders. Usually I have a poke to see how they react: no reaction/scuttle away = safe. Turn around and pounce = die motherf***er!!!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

You can kind of tell his relative size from the second pic (where he's above the toilet paper). That's about as big as our common brown house spiders get. They're a little more spindly than your huntsman, though.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

We have a raft spider in our upstairs loo (ty bach in Wales, which means the little house, but Mr P calls ours the ty baw which means the s*** house) It appears to be a raft spider and got bigger and bigger. I named him Tovarish and explained where he could and couldn't go. He was very obliging. But before disappearing, he appears to have sublet our loo. Bloody full of spiders this year!
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

1.5-2 inches!? You call that little!? I agree with Doc. You Australians are badass. I would freak out. I am horrified of spiders.

Comment

While not horrified of spiders,I do have a dislike of them. My reaction is always "Splat!!" Don't know why but I really dislike them. (might have something to do with one trying to repel on my face while I lay in bed,that did not end well for the spider)
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          While not horrified of spiders,I do have a dislike of them. My reaction is always "Splat!!" Don't know why but I really dislike them. (might have something to do with one trying to repel on my face while I lay in bed,that did not end well for the spider)
                          I hate when spiders get on me.

The problem, though, is that spiders seem to absolutely love me! Seriously, I seem to be a magnet for them. I have had them get on my face and under my shirt while in bed, climb onto my arms and legs while sitting in my chair, get on me outside (which, of course, this is a little more usual, being outside, but still). It's nuts. They might like me, but the feeling is NOT mutual.

Comment

Originally posted by Arella View Post
                            I hate when spiders get on me.

The problem, though, is that spiders seem to absolutely love me! Seriously, I seem to be a magnet for them. I have had them get on my face and under my shirt while in bed, climb onto my arms and legs while sitting in my chair, get on me outside (which, of course, this is a little more usual, being outside, but still). It's nuts. They might like me, but the feeling is NOT mutual.
                            Jumping spiders flirt with me. They get really close to me & start dancing & waving their legs around. I'm always like, 'wrong species, bro!'
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Spiders (and most solitary, non flying bugs) don't bother unless
                              1) they surprise me
                              2) are taking up residence somewhere inconvenient
                              3) they investigate something I plan to eat

bees, hornets, wasps, anything with wings and a stinger however is not my friend.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X