This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOOD POLL 4: Vegemite or Marmite?

No food poll marathon is complete without the single most hotly debated subject on the planet (at least when there are Aussies and Europeans in the same room)

Marmite or Vegemite? You know you love the intense salty-umami-yeasty nectar of life... but which do you prefer?

Do you spread it thick or thin? Eat it with cheese or do what my coworker does and mix it with peanut butter and jam? Do you use it in cooking (I do) or have any recipes to share? Or do you think that it's vile and noxious and should immediately be banned?
    Vegemite all the way!
    0%
    Marmite or nothing!
    0%
    I admit like both.
    0%
    Ewwwww you people are crazy!
    0%
    I've never tried either but I'm willing...
    0%
    WTF I have no idea what you're talking about.
    0%

Re: FOOD POLL 4: Vegemite or Marmite?

I have no idea what either of these materials are.
    They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
    Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
    -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Comment

Vegemite is good for soup! I also mix it with guacamole as sandwich spread, and it adds a good note to barbecue sauce.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

What the heck is vegemite and marmite?
          Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Vegemite and Marmite (and there are a few other brands, but they don't count) are a yeast extract paste made from the byproducts of brewing beer. Vegemite is the Australian version, and Marmite is the British version (there's also an NZ Marmite that is somewhere in between the two).

They are salty and umami (which is a pure savoury flavour) and you usually eat them on toast or sandwiches. It's a very intense flavour and the uninitiated usually don't like them. The difference is fairly subtle, but Marmite is at once stronger and slightly sweeter. I much prefer Vegemite. A common mistake for the uninitiated is to spread them too thick on your toast, which produces almost a burning sensation on your tongue!

I eat Vegemite on toast and crumpets with lots of melted butter. Sometimes I get a craving and will have a little smear right out of the jar. Torey made me buy Marmite so that he could taste the difference, so I use it in cooking (it's edible on toast, but just not the same). I add a spoonful to spaghetti bolognaise sauce or to any sauce or gravy where I want to increase the savoury flavour without adding beef stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
            Vegemite is good for soup! I also mix it with guacamole as sandwich spread, and it adds a good note to barbecue sauce.
            I've never thought to try it with guacamole! That's an interesting thought. But yes... soups and sauces... I add it to all kinds of sauces and gravies.

I know someone who likes Vegemite and banana.

Comment

I am actually shocked people haven't heard of vargemite, It's that black paste from the Aussies with the tons of reaction videos online.
              White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
              sigpic
              In Days of yore,
              From Britain's shore
              Wolfe the dauntless hero came
              And planted firm Britannia's flag
              On Canada's fair domain.
              Here may it wave,
              Our boast, our pride
              And joined in love together,
              The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
              The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                I am actually shocked people haven't heard of vargemite, It's that black paste from the Aussies with the tons of reaction videos online.
                Uh oh... now I have to go Youtube'ing...

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  Vegemite and Marmite (and there are a few other brands, but they don't count)
                  Poor Promite, the George Harrison of YE spreads.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                    Poor Promite, the George Harrison of YE spreads.
                    My grandma buys Promite. It's like the cheap cousin of the big boys. It's much too sweet for my tastes.

Comment

Marmite. Tried Vegemite a few times but always preferred Marmite.
                      The classic quote (probably applicable to either) 'Oh my god, you've eaten half a spoonful???? Are you all right?'

And when I was young I used to like Bovril in a jar too. A bit different and non veggie. But still looks like black tar...
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I've tried both, there are things I like about both...but I think, if I had to choose, I'd say Marmite's better.

Comment

Whichever one I can smear over Hugh Jackman.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            Whichever one I can smear over Hugh Jackman.
                            Vegemite clearly haha.

Well everyone knows I pick vegemite. It is a MUST in any gravy. Makes vegetarian gravy worth it. I like mine THICK. Super thick. I like it on toast and crumpets, and I like cheese melted on top. It make a good broth when you are sick. It helps mouth ulcers. I have had it with avocado and its delicious. Vegemite is the king of spreads.

Now I want vegemite...
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

*wants someone to mail her some vegemite*

Actually, I might be able to find marmite...we have a British grocery in VA beach. And, the grocery I go to has a small british section (they had treacle in a can!)

...I don't even know what treacle is...

OH! Apparently I can order some from World Market.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X