X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 9 year old shot gun instructor with an uzi

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
    I've got no issues with gun ownership, gun safety, or even with children learning the correct usage of firearms. The issue I have comes down to WHAT firearms are available to people. I really see no need for non-military/ipolice forces to have access to automatic weapons. If you want to own a rifle, or a shotgun, or a pistol, sure .. go for it. But an AK, uzi? There's no reason for that.
    I have an issue with only the military and police having access to that. Martial law concerns me our founding fathers gave us the rights in the constitution for a reason. I see no need for a police officer to have automatic weapons. History shows us coruption in people with power is a reality. Im not saying in my lifetime or the next but making restrictions on what we were promised in our constitution are steps in the wrong direction

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
      our founding fathers gave us the rights in the constitution for a reason.
      Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
      making restrictions on what we were promised in our constitution
      Actually, this is a very common misconception, that has been used over the years and has not really been pushed by the federal government. The Right to bear arms was originally instituted due to the need of a colonial militia. As we are no longer in that type of situation, it can be argued that the ownership of firearms in the privater sector is not protected by the Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
        Actually, this is a very common misconception, that has been used over the years and has not really been pushed by the federal government. The Right to bear arms was originally instituted due to the need of a colonial militia. As we are no longer in that type of situation, it can be argued that the ownership of firearms in the privater sector is not protected by the Constitution.
        It can be argued, sure. The Supreme Court has said it that such a position is wrong in two recent cases if memory serves but you can argue whatever you please. The court may eventually reverse itself, it has before.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Jesus, way too much heat for somebody so small. Whats wrong with a kid having fun plinking with a .22 pistol or rifle? Or even slightly larger calibres in semi or single shot modes? Anyways, I agree with whats been said. Full auto is hard even for an adult. I've shot a calibre as large as .308 in full auto, that being my general limit of control. But that took years of getting used to handling firearms. This little girl should not have been with that weapon, tragic all around. I hope she doesn't blame herself because it isn't her fault.
          White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
          sigpic
          In Days of yore,
          From Britain's shore
          Wolfe the dauntless hero came
          And planted firm Britannia's flag
          On Canada's fair domain.
          Here may it wave,
          Our boast, our pride
          And joined in love together,
          The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Honestly, I have no problem with gun play for kids--its developmentally appropriate, particularly for (most) boys (and eff the pc crowd, there are gender differences between most boys and girls, in terms of their temperament and behavior). I have no problem with toy guns that look like toys (water guns, nerf guns) being used for play and being shot at one another. Kids use play to learn boundaries, to act out their fantasy, to act out their feelings, and to learn context. Banning something makes it taboo, and taboo=tempting. Kids know the difference between something that is a toy and something that is not. If you let them play with the toy, it takes some of the temptation from the taboo of the real thing. If you let them play with the toy, you can let them engage in the fantasy aspect of expressing themselves. Then, you can teach them to use the tool (in this case a gun) in its proper context...really, a toy gun should be treated no differently than a toy car or a toy kitchen or toy construction equipment.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X