X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scottish Vote for Independence

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    It's a toast And yes, it's Gaelic.

Also, learn Gaelic with me! I don't have anyone to speak with. I can only say about 15 phrases at the moment, but I'm trying!
    Not to be a bit nitpicky, but WHICH Gaelic language are you talking about? There are a whole bunch of it, and the reference to "Gaelic" as a language is incorrect, because the term simply encompasses things relating to the Gaels. It covers Irish, Scottish, Manx, Welsh, and Cornish, as well as a few others.

Comment

It's now 5 o'clock, but perhaps I will call it scotch o'clock.
      I like this.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
        Not to be a bit nitpicky, but WHICH Gaelic language are you talking about? There are a whole bunch of it, and the reference to "Gaelic" as a language is incorrect, because the term simply encompasses things relating to the Gaels. It covers Irish, Scottish, Manx, Welsh, and Cornish, as well as a few others.
        No worries. I'm not an expert, but from what I've learned so far, Irish Gaelic is spelled the same and usually pronounced "Gal-lic" and most Irish people refer to it as "Irish" (or so several Irish friends tell me...apparently only people outside of Ireland refer to it as Gaelic or Irish Gaelic). The Scottish version is pronounced "Gae-lic" (gay-lic) and most Scottish people refer to it as "Gaelic" (at least, they do in the Hebrides, which has one of the few native-speaking populations left, and that's mostly where I was when I was in Scotland). I'm not sure what the Welsh call their language...you'll have to ask Tylluan Penry. Welsh and Cornish are actually very different Celtic languages than Irish, Manx, or Scottish Gaelic (those three are related and if you can speak one, you can generally understand the others...not so with Welsh, or so it seems).

Anyway, Scottish Gaelic speakers just call it "Gaelic". So, not incorrect :

LearnGaelic homepage, Cùrsaichean is goireasan do luchd-ionnsachaidh na Gàidhlig || Courses and resources for Gaelic learners

(etc)

Comment

Anyway, Scottish Gaelic speakers just call it "Gaelic". So, not incorrect :
          'Tis true.

Comment

And Welsh, in Welsh, is Cymraeg.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Comment

It's a toast And yes, it's Gaelic.

Also, learn Gaelic with me! I don't have anyone to speak with. I can only say about 15 phrases at the moment, but I'm trying!
                Silly question but where do you learn Gaelic at? Thats so awesome your learning.

Comment

I'm learning the basics from http://learngaelic.net/

Comment

Other than they are voting I don't know any details. Canada and Australia are independent but under the Queen would Scotland do the same thing or break away completely? Would they have a Prime Minister and Parliament of their own?

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                      Other than they are voting I don't know any details. Canada and Australia are independent but under the Queen would Scotland do the same thing or break away completely? Would they have a Prime Minister and Parliament of their own?
                      They would stay within the Commonwealth, and keep the Queen as Head of State, but would cease to be a part of the United Kingdom. They would have their own prime minister and parliament, and have said they have their views set to keep the pound and pursue NATO and EU membership.

Comment

We do already have a First Minister and our own parliament...

Comment

And the Scottish pound... which causes havoc south of the border even though it's still legal currency...
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                            And the Scottish pound... which causes havoc south of the border even though it's still legal currency...
                            Do Wales and Northern Ireland have their own pound too? I believe Jersey does.
                            Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post

Yeah I don't get that. Some Scottish friends were telling me that even though it's the pound, they print their own with different pictures on them. It's still the same currency and still worth the same amount of money, but some places in England won't accept it, apparently? WTF is that?

I mean, that is exactly the same as if Germans said "we're not accepting Euro coins from France". Each country in the Euro zone mints its own version of the coins with different designs but it's still the goddamn Euro and you can use it anywhere, even if it has the "sower" on it instead of Brandenburg Gate.
                              Last edited by DanieMarie; 10 Sep 2014, 00:50.

Comment

Yeah I don't get that. Some Scottish friends were telling me that even though it's the pound, they print their own with different pictures on them. It's still the same currency and still worth the same amount of money, but some places in England won't accept it, apparently? WTF is that?

I mean, that is exactly the same as if Germans said "we're not accepting Euro coins from France". Each country in the Euro zone mints its own version of the coins with different designs but it's still the goddamn Euro and you can use it anywhere, even if it has the "sower" on it instead of Brandenburg Gate.
                                The Aussie and NZ dollars and cents are different.... but I've seen NZ 50c pieces accepted here as 20c pieces, cos they're the same size! Technically not legal tender :P but the pop up often enough!
                                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                                Seen the desert and the birds
                                You cut your hair short
                                Like a shush to an insult
                                The world had been yelling
                                Since the day you were born
                                Revolting with anger
                                While it smiled like it was cute
                                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment