This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alphabetical places names (word game)

Here I am going to start a word game about Alphabetical places names. It all starts with the Letter A and then so on. So I am going to start with A then next poster has to write the place name starting with B. You can also share the details about the place too.
    A for Alaska:
    Alaska

Re: Alphabetical places names (word game)

Broken arrow: When a group of Creek Indians established a settlement near what is now our city, they called it "Broken Arrow." Broken Arrow is the name of the place where many of those same Creeks had lived when they were in Alabama - before moving west on the Trail of Tears.

While many Americans think of the term "broken arrow" as meaning an act of peace by Native Americans a few hundred years ago, the Creeks who got that name did so because they broke branches of trees to make their arrows, rather than cutting them.

Comment

C is for Chesapeake Bay

The Chesapeake (the Bay proper, and its tital tributary system) is the largest estuary in the US and the Bay proper is about 200 miles long and ranges between 4 and 30 miles wide. Its also remarkably shallow--the average depth is 21 feet and a person that is 6 foot tall could wade through some 700,000 acres of the Bay (though there are some toughs that get up to 174 feet deep and are thought to be ancient riverbeds). The Bay has more shoreline than the entire West Coast of the US...almost 12,000 miles of it. Its full of 18 trillion gallons of water, and includes six states (and the District of Columbia), 17 million people, and 2,700 different wildlife species--including dolphins, several whales, a number of nesting sea turtle species, horseshoe crabs (my favorite animal), and more. The biggest threats to the Chesapeake is development of shoreline riparian zones and forested watershed areas because it increases pollution into the Bay while decreasing the natural flora and fauna that clean the Bay--particularly sea grass and oysters...because this area is so populated, storm water runoff (including pet waste), as well as ag and industrial pollution are also problematic. Also, invasive species are a problem--invasive grasses and algae that smother native species and invasive shellfish and fish, as well as several land plants and animals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1943.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	352564

(Mod note: By the way, if anyone is wondering why the OP is banned, its because the minute he hit the magic post count mark, he made is (somewhat suspicious sounding, even before that, if you know what you are looking for) true purpose evident...dude's a spammer. And you know how we feel about spammers. He did it pretty well, and pretty undercover, but still...spammer. I liked this thread though, so I let his posts stay, which normally doesn't happen for a spammer.)
      Last edited by thalassa; 29 Aug 2014, 07:56.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Durango

Comment

Ebbw Vale. To quote Wiki, it is a town at the head of the valley formed by the Ebbw Fawr tributary of the Ebbw River in Wales. It is the largest town and the administrative centre of Blaenau Gwent county borough. The Ebbw Vale and Brynmawr conurbation has a population of roughly 33,000. It held an amazing garden festival (complete with dragon) in 1992.

Oh, and for the letter F there's Froncysyllte , which is a village up near Wrexham. Famed for its Male Voice Choir... and luckily for us, perhaps, known popularly as just 'Fron.'
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Fontana.

It's a city in California, in San Bernardino County, heart of the 'Inland Empire'. It's mostly flat and hot and windy.

But, it's home to the largest library in SBC, the Fontana Lewis Library & Technology Center. It's the size of a small college, modern but comfortable, and has free wi-fi.

I, uh, have a wishlist of libraries to visit.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Gibraltar, no I don't know of it purely because of UK military forces there. Why would you think that?
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Hawker!!!

Tiny little town in outback south Australia, known as the 'hub of the flinders'!

And I mean tiny. Currently about 200 people, with 30 kids in the school (reception to year 12).

Major industry is tourism, a lot of things close in the summer because it's too hot for tourists.

Nearest town to Wilpena Pound (fantastic geological feature of the Flinders Ranges).

Also my home town. Come and visit!
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment