X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wondering about news stories with spellig mistakes among other things

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
    I think it's because 'writing' is a a bit like 'art'... everyone who's parent gave them a bit of praise growing up thinks that they are an amazing writer or artist (maybe I should add 'singing' into that mix). There are a LOT of terrible writers and artists out there, who truly believe that they are talented.
    This terrifies me on a daily basis that I AM one of these people. Luckily, I think I suck so at least I'm not irritating people with my bragging?

Writing and art are incredibly subjective -- hell there are people who intentionally misspell and use incorrect grammar to make a point. HOWEVER, I don't think non-fiction is ever the place for that. If you aren't sticking with the correct methods for the language you are using, its very likely you'll be misunderstood. Since the entire point of non-fiction is to be understood (fiction and other 'creative' writing can have different intentions) it doesn't make any sense to not carefully proof it, especially if its intended for a large audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
      People who know me well, know that I was very keen on music in my youth and studied it for years. I remember working once with a girl who bragged endlessly about her piano playing, and convinced everyone she worked with how wonderfully she played.

One evening though, she came over to my house and I thought I would offer her a chance to play the piano. 'Of course,' she said, never missing a beat.

She sat down at my piano with a flourish, then stared at it. 'Um.... where's Middle C?' she asked
      Bahahahahahahahahahaha how even? Ive got a 3 year old who can show me where middle c is after 5 lessons.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder