This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hinge events that change history.

This thought came to mind watching something on history channel. What might seem a minor event that has major effect on history.

The assassination of arch duke Ferdinand that escalated into ww1,and another assassination of a US president that changed the direction of the US(allowing Teddy Roosevelt to become president)

Just wonder how you see history being changed by some minor(at the time) event.

Kinda speculation make a best guess about what "Might" happen.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Hinge events that change history.

The conversion of Constantine...or the untimely death of Julian
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I love Spike Milligan's take on it all:
      ARCHDUKE FERDINAND ALIVE AND WELL!
      WORLD WAR ONE A MISTAKE!

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

This is one of those weird concepts that I tend to shy away from. A lot of people do this is a personal way; if only I hadn't done this or if I'd only done that and people tend to forget that the smallest change can have the most major ripples.

There's this great two part Star Trek Voyager episode that really demonstrates this called Year of Hell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_Hell

It's about a ship that exists outside of time and can change time. Of course, the captain of the ship is crazy...because its a show. But it shows this whole ripple effect better than I could ever explain it.

Though there are things that might seem that they would make the world a better place, it's impossible to really do the math and see everything that was impacted -- especially something huge.

Comment

I might talk about the atomic bomb...and nuclear power supposed to be a good thing. Even something good may end up causing a very bad event.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The invention of aniline dyes.

See all that color when you open your eyes?

It's mostly aniline dyes...

Before that, color was something for the rich - like royal purple. It was so expensive that only the very, very wealthy could have something besides mud brown.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
              A lot of people do this is a personal way; if only I hadn't done this or if I'd only done that and people tend to forget that the smallest change can have the most major ripples.

In the wake of my high school boyfriends' recent death, I've been thinking about this a lot. The events occurring between 8:05 - 8:15 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 5, 1972 were a deciding factor in everything that's happened since - every choice I've made, everything that's happened since that time goes directly back to my first few minutes of high school, when I met him. And - I wonder how many REALLY small things like that have impacted the entire world - things that went unnoticed as agents of change until much later.

Of course I can trace things back even more - like how my parent's wouldn't have met if my grandfather had lived longer, etc. It's all an endless tapestry or jigsaw puzzle. Or a jigsaw puzzle OF a tapestry, LOL
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                The conversion of Constantine...or the untimely death of Julian
                Paganism may have become the common religion if not for this.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  Paganism may have become the common religion if not for this.
                  True, but its not the paganism that we know.

Slavery and ritual sacrifice might also still be legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                    True, but its not the paganism that we know.

Slavery and ritual sacrifice might also still be legal.
                    I'm alright with that.

Mostly art.

Comment

Someone figure how to reliably produce fire.
                      Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Personaly
                        June 2005
                        I lost my child before giving birth. Otherwise i would be the mother of a 9 year old.

Historicaly
                        The invention of the wheel. And ww2 we made alot of medical advances due to the holocaust. Tragic and horrid true however no ww2 no holocaust that would have a ripple effect

Comment

I always think that minor events aren't always as minor as they seem. Take the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, for example. I'm pretty sure that WWI would have happened regardless, because European countries were having a giant pissing contest with each other and kept building up alliances and rivalries. The tensions were so strong that any other event could have set them off.

Comment

Working...
                          X