X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

teacher acidently discharged her gun and injures herself

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/t...chool-25431716

Re: teacher acidently discharged her gun and injures herself

This may be the Canadian part of me speaking since I know Canada and Americas gun cultures are far different. But I would never want any teachers having guns in school at any time. Teachers can go nuts and become shooters too, or some freak accident might hurt a kid, or a kid might get their hands on a gun.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
      This may be the Canadian part of me speaking since I know Canada and Americas gun cultures are far different. But I would never want any teachers having guns in school at any time. Teachers can go nuts and become shooters too, or some freak accident might hurt a kid, or a kid might get their hands on a gun.
      I so hardheartedly want to agree with you. Except I'm American. And I've seen the school system. Teachers need guns to protect themselves FROM students. It's a sad sad thing.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
        This may be the Canadian part of me speaking since I know Canada and Americas gun cultures are far different. But I would never want any teachers having guns in school at any time.
        Guns would be absolutely unacceptable in schools, in any capacity, around my parts. That particular flavor of gun culture (The "if we all carried guns there would be no crime" school of thought) is mostly rooted in the northern mountain states and deep south.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post

Classes continued as usual Thursday, and crisis counselors were available, Horsley said.
          ... for the kids who need help coming to terms with the fact that their teacher is carrying around a deadly weapon? Because that's why I'd be in there.

Officials were still investigating how the gun discharged. "This just appears at this point in time to be an accident," he said.
          Good thing she was just in the bathroom, otherwise some children might have also been injured, right?

Horsley said Ferguson-Montgomery has been a teacher with the school for 14 years but he did not have her age. She was carrying her gun legally with a concealed-firearm permit, Horsley said.
          Turns out a having a license doesn't prevent things like this from happening! Who knew?

Utah is among the few states that allow people with concealed-weapons permits to carry guns in public schools, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Teachers are not required to disclose that they are carrying a weapon
          I didn't know this. I honestly would have bet heavy money that no school in the country would allow anyone at all, staff included, to bring a gun into a school.

and administrators are prohibited from asking if they carry or barring them from bringing their weapons. Educators have said they have no way of determining how many Utah teachers are armed
          Bet I can name one.

Comment

I don't know that I think that guns in schools is really ever 100% justifiable.

Australia doesn't have to worry about this kind of thing happening, but I don't think that even where I came from in the U.S. that teachers were packing on the school premises. That was a long time ago, though.

Comment

I wasnt aware Utah allowed this. I dont feel like this is necessary. I have zero experience with guns so i dont understand how she shot herself.

Comment

Missouri is trying to let teachers carry guns, while also voting to reduce/eliminate tenure and evaluate them on students test scores. And have a 72 hour waiting period for abortions. No expanding Medicaid here, and Right to work/ pray, smoke, all good. Right to farm is being recounted.

What planet am I on?
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  What planet am I on?
                  A very disturbed one.

Oh! And disturbING, too.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                    Missouri is trying to let teachers carry guns, while also voting to reduce/eliminate tenure and evaluate them on students test scores. And have a 72 hour waiting period for abortions. No expanding Medicaid here, and Right to work/ pray, smoke, all good. Right to farm is being recounted.

What planet am I on?
                    America. The life forms care more about not missing there favorite tv shows. They dont know how life goes past their glowing box. They have been taught to obey and follow directions not to think criticaly. They dont care if the rest of the worlds hates were americans and we are invincible. It wasnt intill college that any teacher challenged me truely think. As Gabriel Iglesias said "...Americans don't vote for presidents they vote for things like Americas Next Idol..."

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                      I don't know that I think that guns in schools is really ever 100% justifiable.

Australia doesn't have to worry about this kind of thing happening, but I don't think that even where I came from in the U.S. that teachers were packing on the school premises. That was a long time ago, though.
                      I cant help but compare to Australia in these situations. We dont have the gun culture, but these types of accidents don't happen. We also don't have school shotouts (as far as I am aware).

Why doesn't America just do what australia does? I have always wondered...
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                        Guns would be absolutely unacceptable in schools, in any capacity, around my parts.

That particular flavor of gun culture (The "if we all carried guns there would be no crime" school of thought) is mostly rooted in the northern mountain states and deep south.
                        Here you'd get the former, but also the latter as a slight majority on both sides.

If you think about it, it makes sense--something like 10% of the people (out of about a million) here are in the military, I'd hazard to guess that maybe 15% are retirees or vets like myself. I know what a gun in the wrong hands does. I certainly wouldn't want one in someone's hands around 30 children, good intentions or not. I know what the road to hell is paved with, I've seen it first hand. But, here, quite a few people have been trained to use guns in tactical situations...we have special forces, boarding teams, military police, etc. Many of them do feel if more people (like them) carried guns there would be less crime.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Can I think of ways that armed teachers can be useful? Sure.

Do they require a significant amount of planning and prep by the school system to be worthwhile? Generally, yes.

Do I think any US school system will take the steps necessary to make armed teachers a controlled, predictable asset instead of another variable that can go horrifically wrong? Preparation takes time and money, so no probably not.

Am I a fan of armed teachers without extensive prep? No, just no.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Don't arm teachers. They're as likely to misuse them as is anybody else.

This is a teacher talkin '.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - I, personally, feel that our society already asks a hell of a lot out of teachers. We are expected to educate, socialize, and fix all their family/social problems, while dealing with mental health issues and managing (in my case) over 100 people who really don't want to be there and aren't getting paid for doing a job.

Asking us to be ready to shoot some kid is (IMHO) way over the top of a job description that is already way over the top.

(highest paid and least worked government employee? - Ann Coulter is so full of shit she stinks. Why do people buy into her poop?)
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              Don't arm teachers. They're as likely to misuse them as is anybody else.

This is a teacher talkin '.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - I, personally, feel that our society already asks a hell of a lot out of teachers. We are expected to educate, socialize, and fix all their family/social problems, while dealing with mental health issues and managing (in my case) over 100 people who really don't want to be there and aren't getting paid for doing a job.

Asking us to be ready to shoot some kid is (IMHO) way over the top of a job description that is already way over the top.

(highest paid and least worked government employee? - Ann Coulter is so full of shit she stinks. Why do people buy into her poop?)

This. SOOOO much, this!

I'm totally in favor of conceal carry laws. I support peoples' right to defend themselves, wholeheartedly. Guns in skool? Hell to the fuckin' no. Accidents happen, tragedies occur, and teachers are expected to work miracles. The first rule of thumb should be to keep guns off school premises. I wouldn't mind that offense being a felony, in fact. Yeah, Daddy Day Care with an AK. Not!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                              X