This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FBI not happy with Apple and Google

Apple and Google have won praise from privacy proponents for efforts to encrypt their latest smartphones in a way that would prevent law enforcement from accessing certain private data. The FBI, not so much.

Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey told reporters Thursday that the agency is talking to both companies to raise concerns that their privacy efforts could hinder criminal investigations.

Apple last week touted that with release of its latest operating system iOS8, it no longer could bypass the smartphone user passwords.

"So it's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8," Apple said in a blog post.

Google quickly followed suit, saying it already had such technology in phones running its Android operating system, but that "as part of our next Android release, encryption will be enabled by default out of the box, so you won't even have to think about turning it on."

Comey said that he was "very concerned" that the companies were "marketing something expressly to allow people to place themselves above the law."

Revelations by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden of government mass surveillance programs has posed problems for U.S. tech companies, which are required by federal law to cooperate with surveillance program requests. Concerned that the revelations will damage their businesses, particularly in foreign markets, the companies have taken a more public role in pushing back on the surveillance programs.

Yahoo, which fought a losing court battle against some surveillance requests, recently won a fight to make public secret court documents detailing that battle. The company used the information to tout its efforts to protect the privacy of its customers.

The FBI director said he understood the privacy concerns in the wake of Snowden. But he noted that the FBI sometimes has an urgent need to access data, such as in cases of kidnappings or terrorism.

Comey said he supports the idea that the FBI should have a warrant from a judge to take a look into someone's closet, or smartphone, but added he couldn't support "the notion someone would market a closet that would never be open."
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/politi...tml?c=politics

Re: FBI not happy with Apple and Google

Hm... I wonder how it will turn out in the end. I agree that FBI needs to access data urgently sometimes. But people really don't like their smartphones stalked.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

If the US gov.'t could be trusted not to abuse access then I'd sympathize. Since we all know that huge portions of the gov have decided that the 4th amendment is toilet paper, they can F themselves.
      Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        If the US gov.'t could be trusted not to abuse access then I'd sympathize. Since we all know that huge portions of the gov have decided that the 4th amendment is toilet paper, they can F themselves.
        Yep agreed tough cookies for them.

Comment

So long as private companies are acting within the law, the law enforcement cannot force them to comply with their preferences. They can only make their case and adapt to the result.

I can understand both sides of the coin for this one. The law enforcement needs to be able to easily and effectively access any and all information required to properly resolve a case. That being said, with what I have heard about extensive domestic surveillance in the States, I can understand why Apple and Google would push for greater encryption.

So this may be a silly question, but is the Federal Bureau of Investigation a part of the National Security Agency? If it isn't then what is the issue with letting them have access to the data?

Comment

If they have easy access then either the NSA can push for a rubber-stamp warrant from the FISA court (look up how many warrants have been refused by the FISA court in its existence, I don't mock entire courts lightly) to get the same or ask the FBI's counter-int branch to do so for them. The collective Federal gov.'t should not be given a single inch that they don't have the legal authority to demand.
            Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
            X