American Gods TV Show!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Gods TV Show!

I'm not sure how many of you have read the book by Neil Gaiman, but I just recently decided to re-read it. Tonight, for one reason or another, I looked it up on the interwebs and discovered that a few months ago, the Starz network had acquired the rights and were going to produce it!

While this may be old-ish news, it's shiny and new to me! What do you guys think about this?

Re: American Gods TV Show!

I really want to read the book (haven't yet). I love Neil Gaiman's style, and I think any of his books would make a good show/movie (I liked the movie version of Stardust).

Comment

I'm super excited, especially since the creators have already stated they're going to keep the character's ethnicities the same and just generally seem to really care about getting details right from the book.
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
        I'm super excited, especially since the creators have already stated they're going to keep the character's ethnicities the same and just generally seem to really care about getting details right from the book.
        Which will be interesting what they do for Shadow, since it's never stated what ethnicity he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
          Which will be interesting what they do for Shadow, since it's never stated what ethnicity he is.
          Its stated he isn't white though, which was the main concern a lot of people had.

I mean, not like there was any doubt Gaiman would make sure that was done right in that regard, him rejecting and aborting the "Anzati Boys" movie when they wanted to make all the black characters white is pretty well documented.
          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Bryan Fuller is working with Gaiman on this and he won't let them cast a white dude for Shadow.

If you're not familiar with Fuller's work, he currently writes for the show Hannibal, which IMO is a cinematic masterpiece. He's also behind Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls, and let me tell you, he will be doing American Gods justice.
            Last edited by HarpingHawke; 03 Nov 2014, 13:57. Reason: Forgot a word

Comment

Had not heard of this,and because I was(am) a BIG fantasy and science fiction reader,I think I need to check out these books.

Searched to see when this would be on TV but no set date,hoping that this is not what used to be called Vaporware about computer programs(mainly games)

Ok,missed that part about Starz doing it.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I can't remember why, but I had the distinct impression he was Native American for some reason.

I'm not sure how American Gods would work as a TV series. At the least I think they'd have to expand on Shadow's character significantly, since like most of Gaiman's protagonists, he came off to me as having very little by way of history or personality, and felt more like a blank slate for events to happen to (which is odd, since his side characters are full of personality).

Comment

I'm both super excited and super terrified of this TV show. My mom and I used to have a game; she'd take American Gods and open it to a random page while I closed my eyes. She would read a sentence or two and I would be able to tell her what came just before and just after that sentence. THAT is how much I've read and love the book... A little obsessive, I know, haha...

So I'll be real sad if it doesn't turn out awesome on screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                    I can't remember why, but I had the distinct impression he was Native American for some reason.

I'm not sure how American Gods would work as a TV series. At the least I think they'd have to expand on Shadow's character significantly, since like most of Gaiman's protagonists, he came off to me as having very little by way of history or personality, and felt more like a blank slate for events to happen to (which is odd, since his side characters are full of personality).
                    That, I feel, was the entire point of Shadow, even coming down to his name. Even his wife commented a number of times about how he never really seemed to be alive to her. As for his race, characters make many guesses or suggestions, but no matter what they said, he would comment that he didn't think so. He is an enigma, a sliver of nothingness in an otherwise extravagant world.

If I remember correctly, it's going to be a mini series, more than an ongoing thing. That way they don't have to worry about how to fill in so many blanks along the way.

Comment

That, I feel, was the entire point of Shadow, even coming down to his name. Even his wife commented a number of times about how he never really seemed to be alive to her. As for his race, characters make many guesses or suggestions, but no matter what they said, he would comment that he didn't think so. He is an enigma, a sliver of nothingness in an otherwise extravagant world.

If I remember correctly, it's going to be a mini series, more than an ongoing thing. That way they don't have to worry about how to fill in so many blanks along the way.
                      I tried to track down a post Gaiman made about Shadow some time a go on his tumblr, but Neil's an idiot when it comes to tagging posts so so far I've come up empty handed. The crux of it though was that Shadow, as his name implies, is dark-skinned and part Native American (can't remember what tribe). It is supposedly described in the book (I never read it) and Brian Fuller been out to comment that quote 'I think if we cast a white man to play Shadow we would be the biggest assholes on television.' unquote.
                      Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I would love to see it in T.V. Series Form. I would not want to watch it as a feature length film. You have more time to cover details on a television show.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                          I tried to track down a post Gaiman made about Shadow some time a go on his tumblr, but Neil's an idiot when it comes to tagging posts so so far I've come up empty handed. The crux of it though was that Shadow, as his name implies, is dark-skinned and part Native American (can't remember what tribe). It is supposedly described in the book (I never read it) and Brian Fuller been out to comment that quote 'I think if we cast a white man to play Shadow we would be the biggest assholes on television.' unquote.
                          Actually, there is never any mention for sure of what nationality he is. There's a passage included where he was asked if he was native american, and that wasn't even confirmed. The only thing he know for sure about his appearance is that his skin is "cream and coffee" (as per a line in the book) and that his hair is dark. Even his eye color us up for debate because at some points it says "pale grey" and others it mentions that they are dark.

Comment

Maybe, but it's not limited to American Gods. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy most of Gaiman's work, but I've always felt his protagonists are sorely lacking.

Comment

Working...
                            X