Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Internet Ephermal and Copyright Longetivity

So.......

I have a favorite website to refer people to as a booklist. Also, they have some good articles and such.

But...

The domain is expired or suspended or whatever. Went to wayback machine...I can access of their stuff still. Which is cool...but...I don't know if I trust that totally, ya know?

Now, I would never plagiarize someone's stuff, and I believe in proper attribution...but this makes me think, at what point is it legal and/or ethical to "rescue" someone else's work from the internet and "republish" it (assuming proper attribution)?

For example--their "terms of use" say that if you wanted to use the article in its entirety on a web site you should contact them for permission (by the way, I tried this once and never got a response with them, because I think by that time they weren't a group anymore). BUT, their copyright for the page says 1997-2006...so, is it fair game now?

I remember a bit about fair use laws and all of that from my technical writing class in college, but I also remember that copyright law is sort of confusing.

(by the way, while I'd love an answer to my particular dilemma, I brought this up for general discussion on the idea. I think I posted an article a while back in the science section that the ephemeral nature of virtual information is a problem with raw data among scientists, now that data is electronic and not hard copy...technology means that a lot of information from the 80's and 90's is on floppy drives, etc)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: The Internet Ephermal and Copyright Longetivity

I'd say fair game, especially with some sort of credit to the source as a courtesy. I've hosted content before, and really never ran into any problems. Once got asked to pull something down, which I did and it was fine.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Technically, , it would be illegal. As soon as it was "published" (in this case, put in public view on the internet), it was copyrighted, so you can't legally republish it, without express permission.

Realisticly, nobody would prosecute unless you were making money from it - they'd have nothing to gain, since it's a civil suite, and they'd have legal expenses.

Honestly, most internet authors would be happy to have you use their material, as long as you make appropriate references back to original author/source.

Politely, make an effort to reach the author, and ask permission. If you recieved no reply, or are unable to contact the author/website, be sure to include this note when you give the reference info:

Reasonable efforts were made to reach the author for permission to republish this article. If you are the copyright holder of this article and would like it removed, please contact me at: (web address)

English teacher answer.

Kiss an English teacher today! We sometimes come in handy.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

Well, if K'Roe won't get mad...

XXXXXXXXXXX

I managed to find another website of the author (a non-Pagan one) and it had a feedback box thingy, so I sent a message (no emails on the page though)...but it hasn't been updated in a while either.

This makes me think of a blog I read a while back...oooh, idea for another thread!
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Hay,that teacher is trying to kiss me,probably attracted to my very fine brain,it being well over 50 years brewing into the stuff of genius....

Being still alive,you must be doing something right,just wish I knew what that something was.....
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Hmmmm good question. In traditional publishing, it's the author's life plus 50/70 years (depending on the country...Canada still has 50 but the US/EU does 70), but I don't know if it's the same on the Internet. I would look into it though, because I think any written work published anywhere might be subject to that kind of copyright.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Technically, , it would be illegal. As soon as it was "published" (in this case, put in public view on the internet), it was copyrighted, so you can't legally republish it, without express permission.

Realisticly, nobody would prosecute unless you were making money from it - they'd have nothing to gain, since it's a civil suite, and they'd have legal expenses.

Honestly, most internet authors would be happy to have you use their material, as long as you make appropriate references back to original author/source.

Politely, make an effort to reach the author, and ask permission. If you recieved no reply, or are unable to contact the author/website, be sure to include this note when you give the reference info:

Reasonable efforts were made to reach the author for permission to republish this article. If you are the copyright holder of this article and would like it removed, please contact me at: (web address)

English teacher answer.

Sound advice, I think!

Comment

Check at Gutenberg Project because their free texts outline when copyright expires for authors.

See here.
              http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Copyright_FAQ
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
              X