Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When people tell you about your own religion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When people tell you about your own religion.

Rae'ya, Thorbjorn, your tangent is:

Disclaimer: No desire to hijack thread, just curious. :) Do you find any conflict between Hel and Ereshkigal as being the goddess rulers of the underworld? Or is Ereshkigal the form of the goddess ruler of the underworld that speaks to you more than Hel does? Though as a hard polytheist I suppose the idea of "forms"
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Some of my favourite ones about Shinto.

"You can't be Shinto because you aren't Japanese."
      "Shinto worships the Emperor of Japan as a God."
      "Most Shinto practitioners outside of Japan are that way due to being obsessive anime fans."
      "Shinto is a sexist religion which enforces traditional, patriarchal,social structures."
      "Shinto cannot be practised outside of a shrine."
      "Kami only exist in Japan so its pointless for people to worship in Kami outside of Japan."
      "Shinto has a set dogma which is drawn from the Kojiki and Nihon Shoki."

The list goes on and on...

Comment

"Most Shinto practitioners outside of Japan are that way due to being obsessive anime fans."
        Your display picture isn't helping your cause there

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...eist-Cosmology
          Cheers, MO.

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
            Man isn't that one slapped on every metaphorical wall on the internet xD

Honestly I'd go with Gardener founding Wicca in the 50's more than Wicca as an 'ancient' religion, I'm researching into this topic a lot at the moment and I haven't found very many relations between 1400s-1750s witchcraft to that of Wicca, though there IS enough to speculate either way, if you really try hard. But witchcraft as defined by the maleficarum and old Catholic Church isn't really held as a religion.
            People that are offended by the witch burnings are the ones that get me, it was so much more complicated than a bunch of Catholics picking out women and burning them. Though those people also tend to be the ones with cloth in their ears and wool for brains, so I don't care that much.
            Work hard Play hard.
            What is history?

Comment

Originally posted by Amadi View Post
              Honestly I'd go with Gardener founding Wicca in the 50's more than Wicca as an 'ancient' religion, I'm researching into this topic a lot at the moment and I haven't found very many relations between 1400s-1750s witchcraft to that of Wicca, though there IS enough to speculate either way, if you really try hard.
              Wicca was invented by Gardner. The practices that he constructed it from existed prior to Wicca, both within a religious context and without. But anyone who tries to argue that Wicca itself predates Gardner is completely ignoring history. There is argument for non-Wiccan witchcraft traditions going back hundreds of years... but they aren't Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                Wicca was invented by Gardner. The practices that he constructed it from existed prior to Wicca, both within a religious context and without. But anyone who tries to argue that Wicca itself predates Gardner is completely ignoring history. There is argument for non-Wiccan witchcraft traditions going back hundreds of years... but they aren't Wicca.
                Fair enough, OH OH; do you have any links to origins/methods of those pre-Gardner practices (oopsies, Gardner isn't a Gardener) etc? I've been looking for a few good examples of witchcraft before wicca (if that makes sense?).
                I suppose I separate witchcraft and Wicca a lot more than those that argue it's a couple-thousand years old :S
                Work hard Play hard.
                What is history?

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
                  I've had a couple of people tell me it was heretical to read the Bible because the priesthood must interpret God's words for the layman. o.O
                  There's historical basis for it being traditional, but there's no doctrine specifically condemning it. At least not in any of the bibles I've studied, but there's a lot of denominations and sects out there and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there were some with that tenet.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Amadi View Post
                    Fair enough, OH OH; do you have any links to origins/methods of those pre-Gardner practices (oopsies, Gardner isn't a Gardener) etc? I've been looking for a few good examples of witchcraft before wicca (if that makes sense?).
                    I suppose I separate witchcraft and Wicca a lot more than those that argue it's a couple-thousand years old :S
                    That depends on which practices you're talking about, though I presume you mean witchcraft rather than the ceremonial and Hermetic influences. You could start with British Traditional Witchcraft and the (controversial) Pickingill coven.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                      That depends on which practices you're talking about, though I presume you mean witchcraft rather than the ceremonial and Hermetic influences. You could start with British Traditional Witchcraft and the (controversial) Pickingill coven.
                      Yup, thanks I'll have a look
                      Work hard Play hard.
                      What is history?

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...eist-Cosmology
                        I just saw this and wanted to acknowledge. I'm a day late and a dollar short, as usual. Thanks.
                        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                          Your display picture isn't helping your cause there
                          Aye, that's true enough. x3

The difference is stating that "A person is a Shinto practitioner because they watch anime", and "A person who watches anime also happens to be a Shinto practitioner." I just happen to watch anime, and practice Shinto, but I doubt that Rev. Koichi Barrish, and other Western Shinto priests, are avid anime watchers. :P

Comment

Working...
                          X