Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Human Sacrifice

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Well I don't think the bear is trying to sacrifice me to their bear god. I'm pretty sure they just either want me to go away or eat me..
    Ah, my friend, and that is just the thing. Everything is in a creation to one higher power. When Frigg created living creatures and substance, they were in her being, that is to say, her life structure. So, when that bear cannot consciously offer to the gods. It was, however, that of Friggs intention for it to do so, unconsciously, by living and eating, and surviving. By doing those said things, it is absolutely praising the gods, for that bear is apart of a higher circle of things. It was made to do so, just as we were. Just as that pizza sits in front of you, the wheat in which its dough was born, the tomatoes that the sauce was created from, and the cheese in which was transformed by a byproduct of a cow, it was all in a cycle of creation. I feel the part you miss, and what you will continue to miss is that science has its say, and I do not doubt or shun its truths. The part what I am trying to get at you is that there are gods, not in heavens above, nor sitting on a throne amidst desolation and fire, but living deep inside of us all. Inside of that cow that produced the cheese that sits atop your pizza, inside that bear who hunts for its next meal, and inside of you, who sits behind a computer, trying to deny the existence of force within your very soul.
    Now, I will not hate you for having your own opinions. That's what makes life fun, for if we were all the same, it would be bland and repetitive. I do not feel as if anything I can say will make you think differently on the world around you. But, what I would like very much, is a slice of your pizza, as we are all human, as the sun chases the moon, we are born into a never ending cycle of self discovery. The worst we can do is to shun others beliefs in a way of ignorance, or in a way that seems hateful, or menacing.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I hope we're referring to the Christians. Yeah... I'd love to sacrifice every witness who comes to
      my door.
      "Hello my child of God; do you have time to learn about our lord savi-"
      "Your gods son was nailed to a cross, my Gods son had a hammer. Any questions?"
      *theatrically slams door in face*

^^^ this is me going against my above post.
      - Finn's Saga

Comment

All I can really say is that once you have lived as I have, you may begin to see things others are blinded to. Not only have I seen things that make up the solid backing of my own beliefs (in my book) but I've also felt things. And not just as you would feel a cool breeze run through your shirt, or the sting of a burn, but an inner feeling, something so intimate within myself, that it is hard to build a sentence structure to explain it. Words cannot explain such a feeling, no language we have can begin to fathom the raw kindle of it. But let me tell you, in no way will I try to shove my beliefs down your throat, as so, you should not try to shove yours down mine. I will not tell you that you're going to Hel's realm, nor will I throw a book at you or your children. All I ask is that you don't throw your books at myself or my own.
        As I said before, the fun part about life is the centralized reason of opinion. I have no reason to convert you, for conversion is a poison. So I ask you, what is your reason to try to convert me?
        - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
          All I can really say is that once you have lived as I have, you may begin to see things others are blinded to. Not only have I seen things that make up the solid backing of my own beliefs (in my book) but I've also felt things. And not just as you would feel a cool breeze run through your shirt, or the sting of a burn, but an inner feeling, something so intimate within myself, that it is hard to build a sentence structure to explain it. Words cannot explain such a feeling, no language we have can begin to fathom the raw kindle of it. But let me tell you, in no way will I try to shove my beliefs down your throat, as so, you should not try to shove yours down mine. I will not tell you that you're going to Hel's realm, nor will I throw a book at you or your children. All I ask is that you don't throw your books at myself or my own.
          As I said before, the fun part about life is the centralized reason of opinion. I have no reason to convert you, for conversion is a poison. So I ask you, what is your reason to try to convert me?
          One. Who is trying to convert you?
          Two, learning something truthful and factual doesn't equal conversion.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Before this becomes a complete derail, I'd like to remind everyone that the topic is Human Sacrifice. NOT Atheism vs Theism, round 9000. If you absolutely need to conduct Atheism vs Theism, round 9000 then we have a debate section and all concerned parties are capable of starting new threads.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
              So I ask you, what is your reason to try to convert me?
              None - because, as you have stressed ad nauseum, we are having a friendly chat.

What, if I may ask, is your rhetorical purpose in directly accusing me of something which you have already plainly stated at great length is not being done here?

Stinks like a cheap trick to me, brother.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This had me thinking. Those cannibal tribes that eat their rivals. That's sorta sacrificing, no?
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

They ate enemies to gain their power,also ate their own dead to retain the spirit within the tribe.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'll re-open this tomorrow morning after everyone is fully awake so I don't get stuck moving things and then moving replies to items I moved.

Atheism vs Theism goes

But in technicality, this isn't true. That's why there are parents trying to ban books and get disclaimers in biology classes about evolution. Why are atheists trying to push their godless heresy on good Christian children? That's the atheist agenda, after all. The thing is, you treat atheism as if it were a default position.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Re-opened......

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        This had me thinking. Those cannibal tribes that eat their rivals. That's sorta sacrificing, no?
                        It would depend. I'm not really up on cannibal anthropology...

Are they making an offering of the human they eat to their gods?

In the same vein, what about suicide bombers? Self sacrifice? Brainwashed sacrifice?

I might add, that on a personal note, I think human sacrifice is wrong. Period. But, with that being said....ethnocentrism is bad, peeps. And we are all deluding ourselves to think that ancient cultures aren't as much a different culture and different people as, for example) the Papua New Guinea Islanders or the Yanomami. So, I think you can only judge the actions of ancient peoples fairly by their own standards and values.

The value of a life, even a human life, aren't universal. Never have been (for better or for worse).
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Couldn't we say that they have all technically been brainwashed??? I don't think anyone is born with the desire to commit suicide for their god/cause. I think we are raised and conditioned/brainwashed to want to take our own life for a cause.
                          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

It may not be my choice for giving up burnt offerings to the Bigwigs in the Universe, but if it ever becomes legal in the United States, i will definitely defend your rights to do so, starting with Congress.
                            There is beauty in darkness for those who dare enter the shadows to embrace it. - John Coughlin

Comment

I feel the same way about human sacrifice as a do about animal sacrifice, apart from the fact that humans and animals are one and the same, both kinds of sacrifices are unethical and just not needed anymore as times have changed.

Even many ancients such as the Greek philosopher Pythagoras and his followers believed that offerings consisting of meat/corpses displeased and even angered the gods.
                              "As long as humans continue to be the ruthless destroyer of other beings, we will never know health or peace. For as long as people massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, those who sow the seed of murder and pain will never reap joy or love." - Pythagoras

"I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown." - Homer, The Iliad

Comment

If I may ask, does a modern Aztec pagan have to support the practice of human sacrifice? I know it was part of the ancient religion, but is it necessary to support it or even be okay with it?

Comment

Working...
                                X