Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

race and policing

white guy tazed: http://america.aljazeera.com/article...acy-group.html

And meanwhile in Virginia, UVA student arrested for saying bad words...(at least they didn't shoot him?)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: race and policing

Oh...this is interesting http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/03...businesswoman/
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Charleston: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us...eath.html?_r=0
      sigpic

Comment

Here's hoping we run out of new stories for this thread.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
          Here's hoping we run out of new stories for this thread.
          Until we become a different type of animal all together, it'll never happen.

People in a position of power are always subject to abuse of power, alas!
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I was walking home the other day, when I saw this Caucasian kid with a non-orange tipped bb-gun walking on the opposite side of the street. He's a tad ahead of me, and we are walking in the same direction when a county police officer drives by us. I see him look at the kid, literal head turn, but did not stop, or do anything about it. I ended up running up to the kid, who was maybe 14 or 15. I said to him (which is so true it's not even funny) "If you were black, that officer would have shot you" He laughed, but it's the fact that it's true is severely dark.
            "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
            And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
            They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
            The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
            - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I'm looking for a specific video the hubby saw and can't remember the name of...and in the mean time, found these:

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS (PIX11) — An NYPD detective believes he was racially profiled when he was attacked by three officers outside a Washington Heights night club two years ago. In an exclusive …

Police officer shoots and kills father who punches him after (cop) hits his daughter with motorcycle:

sigpic

Comment

Don't get me wrong, its not all about race (but, statistically speaking, racial disparity strongly exists in the justice system, so it is about race)...the police (as an institution) are just out of control--there are absolutely good cops, unfortunately the system doesn't support them. If they wonder why people don't cooperate with them, they should look at some of their PR.

Last edited by thalassa; 11 Apr 2015, 14:41.
                sigpic

Comment

Damn, these are way to easy to find...

This is local:

And...an interesting site: http://www.copblock.org/apps/
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    I'm looking for a specific video the hubby saw and can't remember the name of...and in the mean time, found these:

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS (PIX11) — An NYPD detective believes he was racially profiled when he was attacked by three officers outside a Washington Heights night club two years ago. In an exclusive …

Police officer shoots and kills father who punches him after (cop) hits his daughter with motorcycle:

And all of these are from Illinois... Well yeah, I haven't met one cop in my time of living here, who wasn't an abusive of their power. It's sickening.
                    - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                      And all of these are from Illinois... Well yeah, I haven't met one cop in my time of living here, who wasn't an abusive of their power. It's sickening.
                      You are upstate, yeah?
                      sigpic

Comment

This is upsetting to see. Upsetting because this crap really happens. I have a family full of officers. A grandmother who is retired sheriff department, a grandfather who is still active in the police force and a brother who is a police officer. I know there are good cops out there I know it but it can be hard to find lately.
                        Something to possibly give a little hope that?
                        Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          You are upstate, yeah?
                          I am very upstate. Waukegan as of now, it's a tad bit more north than Chicago is. We're still considered Chicago suburbs though, whatever that really means, I just like the sound of it
                          - Finn's Saga

Comment

After watching the video of Jason Harrison being gunned down at his home by police, while his mother screamed in horror, I can't bring myself to watch police shooting videos any more. It seems there is now an epidemic of these types of shootings. Last month, police just outside of Atlanta shot and killed a naked, unarmed, PTSD-suffering Air Force veteran because they claim "he charged at them". Eyewitness testimonies have said he was walking, not running, toward police. Even still, he was unarmed. When protests formed you had the typical, "if you don't wanna get shot, don't break the law" response from the pro-LEO crowd.

Comment

This one is from 2010...a little girl was killed in a police raid on the wrong apartment. Charges have now been dropped on the officers involved.

And there's this one...

And this one...yes, she was drunk...but the apparently cop lied (is should be obvious to anyone that reads what the cop said vs the actual physical evidence).

And this one...

The man that filmed the death of Freddie Gray was arrested for apparently no reason

And the death of 3 deaf persons over the past decade for being unable to comply with police demands
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X