Monica Lewinsky Looking back in shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monica Lewinsky Looking back in shame

So I stumbled upon this on my women's reddit section. (as usual I bring the goods). But also because she's making the rounds. Still making money off her blow job. Let's be real. That's what made her famous. Anywho she's on the Ted Talks circuit doing her thing. Here's her video:

What is your opinion of her now? Should she be given a pass since she was just 22 at the time of the incident? Should she wear the scarlet letters BJ for life? I mean Bill doesn't really get any more flack for it. We seem to joke about it with him (we the media in general). Part of me thinks skank is a skank. Part of me knows 22 years old make dumb mistakes. Part of me thinks she can make a buck and should be joked at along with how Bill is. Part of me hates the double standard. A big part just doesn't really care.

What say you?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Monica Lewinsky Looking back in shame

Honestly, I'd largely forgotten about her. She had not-sex with a married man when she was 22. This isn't new or unique. She had the terrible taste to have not-sex with the President of the United States. That's a bit more rare but it doesn't really inspire me to care one way or another.
    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I wonder if Hillary will use this in any way to gain votes from that group of people who believe a wife should stand by her man no matter what he does.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I thought she was cute back then. I still think she's cute now.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I couldn't agree with her more. She brings up quite a few points that I think are important:

-We have ALL done dumb things when we were younger. I think there is a scale there and some of us have done dumber things that others. I have DEFINITELY made some mistakes that could get me branded as a "whore" for the rest of my life if they got spread on the Internet, and to be honest, it's always in the back of my head that it can happen.

-Internet bullying shaming is a harsh reality for a lot of people, and it is definitely uncalled for. Regardless of what kinds of mistakes people make, the sheer backlash they face on the Internet outweighs whatever they did in most cases. She only brings up one or two other cases (I saw the video a week ago, so I can't remember), but I've been reading a lot of case-study articles on this issue. People lose their jobs for stupid jokes and become unhireable. People get stalked, get death threats, lose relationships, etc. I'm not saying that it's a good idea to have affairs with married men, make ignorant jokes about other countries or races, or to take selfies in front of solemn memorials, but for the love of all that is holy, let the punishment fit the crime. None of those things call for someone to get their lives TOTALLY RUINED for years on end.

-As much as we can say, "just don't share that stuff," sometimes people don't even mean to share it. Monica thought she was talking about the affair in confidence. She also brings up that kid who was secretly recorded by his roommate. Sometimes, people just don't have control over what gets said about them on the Internet. I'd add that even when participants share things willingly, that young people can just be STUPID. When I was 22, I shared things online that I would NOT want people to see now. At 22, I thought that I could keep it a secret and that I could control where it was shared. Obviously, that's wrong. I've had acquaintances message me with links to photos that I wouldn't really want anyone to see, so even though that was 8 years ago, it's still there. I didn't think about that when I was 22. If that stuff became more public, would I deserve the fallout just because I didn't think about the consequences 8 years ago, when I was much, much younger? I don't think so. Back in the day, if you did stupid stuff when you were young, it was pretty unlikely that it would bite you in the ass decades later, unless you were really famous or something (and even then, it would probably still be pretty manageable). Now, that can totally happen, and it can happen to ordinary people.

I've read her article in Vanity Fair and have seen that speech and a few others. I think she's a strong, intelligent woman who is managing to reclaim her identity and rise past a pretty horrible experience. I think she's a role model. I don't think she's capitalizing on her affair. In her article in Vanity Fair, she mentions how she spent years unemployed and struggled to find work or have relationships. I think she's had it pretty rough, and I'm glad that she's managing to reclaim her story.

Comment

I think putting the dress in question in a plastic bag for a rainy day is what got her shamed. That to many people made it intentional and made her seem a gold digger. Compare her story to that of Jessica Hahn and you see two extreme's of shame though Monica's will always be worse.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Puts in two cents....Way to long ago to even warm up the brain cells over...Goes back into coma of age stuff..
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                I've read her article in Vanity Fair and have seen that speech and a few others. I think she's a strong, intelligent woman who is managing to reclaim her identity and rise past a pretty horrible experience. I think she's a role model. I don't think she's capitalizing on her affair. In her article in Vanity Fair, she mentions how she spent years unemployed and struggled to find work or have relationships. I think she's had it pretty rough, and I'm glad that she's managing to reclaim her story.
                I'm with Monsno here...the fact that she saved the dress shows a certain amount of calculation on her part. She knew exactly what she was doing and did it on purpose. Mostly no one remembers any of the other relations Bill had with women (or cares if they *do* remember the names). That's not a mistake, that's a miscalculation on her part, as to how it would affect her future.

If you don't know that at 22 a) 9 times out of 10 you are just some pretty young play thing for an older married man, b) that its stupidity in the nth degree to get jiggy with the married president of your country, and c) that saving souveniers like that is incredibly gauche, then you are so lacking in common sense that there is no hope for you. I could have told you that when I was 15 and 16 (which is when this happened), age is no excuse.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I couldn't have. I didn't have an affair with a married man at that age, but when I was slightly older, I had a thing with an older single man. Everyone told me that he was just using me, and I think I knew deep down that the situation was off, but I really liked him and it sort of gave me blinders to the whole situation. In the end, he broke my heart and everyone said "I told you so," but I still wasn't really expecting it to happen. I didn't start dating until my 20s, so maybe that was part of it, but yeah.

When it comes down to it, I don't care if she planned it or not. My point still stands that there are a lot of people who do not make that sort of thing public or plan on making it public, but end up having their mistakes (or in the case of that gay kid, not mistakes at all) exposed to the world. I also still don't think Monica deserves to be the object of ridicule nearly 2 decades later.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                    I couldn't have. I didn't have an affair with a married man at that age, but when I was slightly older, I had a thing with an older single man. Everyone told me that he was just using me, and I think I knew deep down that the situation was off, but I really liked him and it sort of gave me blinders to the whole situation. In the end, he broke my heart and everyone said "I told you so," but I still wasn't really expecting it to happen. I didn't start dating until my 20s, so maybe that was part of it, but yeah.

When it comes down to it, I don't care if she planned it or not. My point still stands that there are a lot of people who do not make that sort of thing public or plan on making it public, but end up having their mistakes (or in the case of that gay kid, not mistakes at all) exposed to the world. I also still don't think Monica deserves to be the object of ridicule nearly 2 decades later.
                    Sorry Monica still does the I am victim hear me whine! Many times no one remembers and no one care's yet she keeps bringing it up. I do find though that the way a person acted in the past is often the way they continue to act towards things in their future. She acted from a place of deception and manipulation and i'm willing to bet she still does and that is what people remember and hold against her. The sexual aspect of it long forgotten or cared about.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I do not personally approve of having affairs with married men, but at the end of the day, Monica wasn't married, Bill was. It was his responsibility to be faithful. OTOH, if you're going to knowingly have an affair, be a woman about it. Don't kiss and tell. Don't ruin his life. Be a stand-up human being about it. Who the heck wants a relationship with someone who'll blab about the intimate details to the entire world. Literally. The. Whole. World.

Comment

Working...
                      X