"Religious Freedom" Legislation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Religious Freedom" Legislation

I have a hard time with this "Protection of religious thing" I understand allowing any belief to be allowed with no discrimination,but why would anyone allow a religion to have so many exemptions to breaking civil law because of their beliefs..Does this mean if I believe I have a religious right to take a life(think Kali thugees) that I should be protected because it is my religious belief?

Respect for a belief is not the same as allowing religious belief to allow you to avoid the law as it concerns discrimination.

Just my take...Why in many ways does religion get a pass sometimes about separation of church and state.

?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Church & State News

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    I have a hard time with this "Protection of religious thing" I understand allowing any belief to be allowed with no discrimination,but why would anyone allow a religion to have so many exemptions to breaking civil law because of their beliefs..Does this mean if I believe I have a religious right to take a life(think Kali thugees) that I should be protected because it is my religious belief?

Respect for a belief is not the same as allowing religious belief to allow you to avoid the law as it concerns discrimination.

Just my take...Why in many ways does religion get a pass sometimes about separation of church and state.

?

Because these are the people that just a generation or so ago would be not serving people at their lunch counter.

Religion is their excuse, because they somehow think what they personally believe it should allow them to act in whatever way they want to. But really, it has nothing to do with their religion...it has to do with the fact that they want an outlet for their hate, and they think that more people will buy the religion excuse than the 'just cuz' free speech excuse.

TBH, they are probably right--more people are willing to buy the religion excuse than the 'just cuz' free speech excuse.

What they fail at is the understaning of their religion.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Re: "Religious Freedom" Legislation

So...I figured this could be its own convo---what are your feelings about legislation to "protect religious freedom and religious expression"?

I mean...don't we already have such protection in the First Amendment?

(the history of these laws)
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        So...I figured this could be its own convo---what are your feelings about legislation to "protect religious freedom and religious expression"?

I mean...don't we already have such protection in the First Amendment?

(the history of these laws)
        Covered under the First Amendment, as you say.

I feel that, to produce a specific law covering religion - when one exists that already allows people to burn flags, publish outrageous racist rubbish, and be a general A-hole in whatever way one wants - puts undue importance on one particular aspect of community life, and would, in fact, violate the concept of separation of church and state.

In a theoretically "free country" there should be no more laws than are absolutely necessary. No point in doubling up, unless one actually wants to encode "special treatment" in law.

Absurd.

In other news...

I feel that, when an individual, or limited group, is engaged in producing specific products, that person or limited group needs to be able to refuse work for ANY reason - or no reason at all.

If, for example, I am in the business of printing t-shirts, and a Neo-Nazi skinhead white supremacist pseudo-Christian comes in asking me to print shirts that say "Kill all Jews and Niggers" ('scuse the N word - I need to make a solid point), I do not want to forced to take that work because he/she says "not doing so violates my civil rights."
        Last edited by B. de Corbin; 02 Apr 2015, 03:49.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This idea came about to protect native Americans use of Peyote and other drugs in religious practice,and of course the other LARGE religion wanted some of that good stuff too,even though they most likely tried to screw the Native Americans over the years....Not like the "Main" religious group already gets many exemptions

- - - Updated - - -

Also in this subject,said "Company" also has the right to be boycotted by people that disagree with their stance,if they can stand the loss of business...so,even saying no is not free completely. think this subject "could" begin to get "Sticky"..Might want to put a debate tag on it just in case..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Re: Church & State News

Let's try this again, lost the post.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            But really, it has nothing to do with their religion...it has to do with the fact that they want an outlet for their hate, and they think that more people will buy the religion excuse than the 'just cuz' free speech excuse.
            Not only an outlet for their hate, something to hide behind. Instead of "the devil made me do it", it's "God wants me to do it".
            śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
            śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

This right here is the "I can't stop that,so I will mess with logic" to confuse the issue as long as I can...Cause I always think Jebus will come and save the day sooner or later..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                Also in this subject,said "Company" also has the right to be boycotted by people that disagree with their stance,if they can stand the loss of business...so,even saying no is not free completely. think this subject "could" begin to get "Sticky"..Might want to put a debate tag on it just in case..
                Beauty of capitalism...

This creates a business opportunity for the clever entrepreneur.

It's called a "niche market," where a business specializes in providing what others won't, or don't.

You don't need laws to fix this, you just need somebody smart enough to capitalize on it.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This points out why Pron is always profitable...They could care less who or what you are or do...as long as your money is good..Supply and demand always wins,even if you think that stuff is evil,cause with no people to buy stuff,their would be no business..someone wants that stuff.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

listening to this right now: http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/20...nd-the-country
                    sigpic

Comment

Cotton's a good backpedaler and script-flipper. http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/0...-execute-gays/
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

This. This is all I feel about that.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                          Cotton's a good backpedaler and script-flipper. http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/0...-execute-gays/
                          Wow!!! The US is better to its gays than Iran!

This is like me bragging that I can kick my 8 year old cousin's rear at chess. It's not a high bar to clear. Does he have any other low bars for us to beat? Better internet than North Korea, maybe? Higher morale in our military than the Iraqi army? Less terrified neighbors than Russia? I'm sure I can find a few more....
                          Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Less poop in the streets than India! Less Ebola cases than Africa! More oxygen than the Moon! More morons than the rest of the Universe!
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Morons is a harsh way to describe these people,this is America,here we call them culturally,and socially backward trending religiosity proponents of dead books and deader minds...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X